• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

$35K, Considering 3 cars - NSX is one

I ran out of warranty on my M3 a little while ago and had to pay for inspection 1 with valve adjustment which was a little over 800 or 900. 150 dollar oil changes, my door sill broke and they had to order like 2 small clip things to put it back on and it was 65 bucks. But all in all it has been pretty reliable so far. I have 48k miles on my 02, I bought it back in 03. But I am currently searching for an NA1 NSX, hopefully I will have one by summer.

That nightmare is why I no longer have my ///M3. ;)

I drove all three of these cars within a three week period. I chose the NSX. I also strongly considered the 996.

The BMW is nice, I didn't like the body style as much and the handling didn't have the same feel as the NSX.

The corvette is a rocket ship. It really makes power down at lower RPMs and it also handles well. The reliability isn't bad (I disagree with some people on this). The steering doesn't have the same feedback as the NSX. The car is also a lot more common.

The NSX just felt right. The handling was incredible. It was fun to drive. The car went fast when you hit the power band. Did I mention the handling? It is also the best looking car of the bunch.

**EDIT - please note I drove an E36 and not an E46, my bad.

I'm right there with you man, but I've got an NSX already. I might be selling just because of age. I could have an '05 C6 or an '04 C5 Z06 for the money I can get from my NSX right now. Am I going to jump? I don't know. The NSX is a VERY special car that I've put a ton of work into. It needs the supercharger to really make me happy, but that's 10k. It's been 4 years and no supercharger yet. I'm starting to think it'll never happen or that when I'm ready for it to happen (as I'm just starting out in life, new engineering degree, new career, new house, new baby, new wife, new truck, new SUV, etc...) the support will no longer exist in companies like Science of Speed, Comptech, or anywhere else for that matter. I'd like to be able to say, ya, 10 years from now I'll be ready to start messing around with the NSX more, but I'm afraid it'll be too late. (am I being paranoid???)

I have never had a bad experience driving a Vette. My Dad has had corvettes for a long time (well since 1990). I learned how to drive stick on the first one. He currently has an '03 Z06 and bought and sold an '06 Z06 (funky handling issues). I just drove an '06 C6, and MAN the power. Its addictive.

for $35K you might also consider a Porsche 993(the 911 model number made from 1995-1998). you could get an average mileage (50-60K) 1995-1997 that is in very good condition in the $30K range and have some $$ for a couple repairs. There are a lot of daily drivers of these 993s and you get a great mix of reliability, looks, performance. its not the fastest straight-line but its a blast to drive. should easily run for 150K miles if taken care of.

you get a little collectability value since its the last of the hand built oil/air cooled and the values have been holding very well the last couple years and should continue to be strong.

You must be joking?

First of all those options are not a convincing justification for buying a Z06 nor are they anything special. The NSX is a high performance sports car not an SL500. And if you think that the fit and finish of a C5 or even a C6 Z06 are on par with an NSX i'd like to have some of whatever you're on. I don't think anyone would agree with that. Not even a Corvette owner! I test drove many Z06's before I bought my NSX and drove my friends 02 Z06 for almost 2 weeks while he was on vacation. No, the stereo system is not that great, and HUD is not an option worth paying for. For less $$$ you could install a nav pod and put in HKS camp. Also the fit and finish was horrible. That's one of the main reasons I didn't buy a vette. The leather is cheap, parts rattle everywhere, etc.... The C5 and even the C6 interior is the worst interior in it's class. Other than that the Z06 is okay, but then lets start talking about all the mechanical problems......

What mechanical problems; my Dad has had a Z06 for 4 years with 0 mechanical problems. Please explain.

The interior of the Z06 sucks. So what?

The HUD is a great toy, especially when turning off all the interior lights at night.

The power is intense. (Don't think I don't know power, I've driven a couple 10 second cars in my time)

The handling is pretty good and doesn't destroy your back on crappy roads.

The shift feel sucks, but it's highly effective.

Why is everyone so defensive about the NSX? I've chosen not to sell mine, but it doesn't mean that I wouldn't if there was an opportunity to replace it with a car that I believe suits me better. Okay, so I can't afford a Ferrari 599, but I'd give the NSX up in a heartbeat for one.

blah.

Have you driven all 3? I bet not or your decision would be made. Seriously, the NSX is PRECISE and engineered to a level the other 2 cars just are not. The shifter in the NSX is years ahead of the vet and light years ahead of the M3. Not to mention mid engine > front engine. Little things like how the doors shut will make you wonder why you even considered the other cars. The seats, NSX hands down! I can go on and on (except for the Bose stereo... nasty).

It is also fairly easy to lighten an NSX by 200+lbs for under a couple hundred dollars. This is what I have done and it makes the car significantly faster and handle better. With lightening, headers and exhaust you have a solid low 13's / high 12's (depending on how much lightening...) car that will last just as long as a stock Honda Civic.
How did you lighten the car for a couple hundred?

As others have said, NSX is best of the 3 on maintenence costs. You won't want to do major repairs on it yourself, but they are few and far between. Find an NSX tech in your area and your set.

NSX wins in total depreciation if you shop right and buy an early one without deferred maintenence.

Why does everyone complain so much about the power? I am happy with mine and feel that the power is adequate. Its not a dragster, but overall it is an awesome ride. It throws you back in your seat and when you hit VTec, it makes beautiful music. I have never felt that this car is underpowered.

M3 just looks like a family sedan to me. Might as well put in toddler seats.

There are many Vettes out there...nobody pays attention to them. There are so many problems with them...especially ABS and Traction Control.

The NSX turns heads wherever you go...

Anyway, just my .02...

Back