• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

3rd gen NSX?

https://hondanews.com/releases/rele...ages/d3a875642d52180f148a580ec366ae71d5d20e19

specialty-Flagship.jpg

Both shapes are looking awesome IMHO. Nice flowing lines with a good stance. Exactly how teasers should look. Let's hope the hidden details are as good.

Curious to see both a 'FR' and a 'MR' shape. In the new brave world I was expecting everything to be pure EV, removing the need of a dedicated space for an ICE. Could this mean that they are FCEV (which I believe requires more space)?

I love my ICE cars, and will not sell them, but I'm really looking forward to the new electrified world. As long as I can drive myself.

Thanks for posting, that was a great read. So a flagship sports car and a more affordable sports car. Cannot wait to see what they put together.

from my skimming looks like they are investing more in solid state batteries rather than hydrogen?

The supercar on the right has green halo on the wheels, which I speculate that to mean 4wd electric motors. If you recall, NC1 had a 4WD variant running around Pikes Peak. That unit had a crazy 1050 hp. I find it hard to believe Honda will release that high hp unit for production. But why not do it and be the first. It will get headlines.

Regardless, it is a sign of what is to come for this top tier unit.

Run was conducted in 2016 This design has been simmering in the oven for over 6 years now.

The police sirens are comical. They are there because the unit is really quiet. It will make a much cooler noise for production. You won't be pulling people over on the streets :)

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Vimkohb2H_4" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

June 20, 2016
TORRANCE, Calif. – Acura will campaign an all-electric, NSX-inspired EV Concept in the Electric Modified Class at the 2016 Broadmoor Pikes Peak International Hill Climb. The Acura EV Concept features a further evolution of the experimental, all-electric, 4-motor Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®) powertrain that won last year's Pikes Peak Challenge Exhibition class.

The supercar-inspired Acura EV Concept will be driven by Tetsuya Yamano, who campaigned last year's CR-Z-based electric prototype. The Acura EV Concept is the ultimate embodiment of the all-wheel-drive Electric SH-AWD powertrain featuring a world's first technology that enables four-wheel independent torque allocation. The Acura EV Concept's Electric SH-AWD powertrain produces three times the total system output of last year's electric prototype and is mated to the NSX body.

"We've been tuning the car for several weeks at Pikes and have advanced its performance significantly," said Tetsuya Yamano. "We're honored to be running at Pikes in this historical, anniversary year – an event respected by racing fans all over the world."

4-Motor Development
Honda R&D has been developing "super handling" technology for more than 20 years in the pursuit of ideal vehicle handling. By applying separate Twin Motor Units (TMUs), the brains of Sport Hybrid SH-AWD, on each axle, Acura has achieved independent torque distribution to all four corners – true four-wheel torque vectoring. Based upon the learnings from last year's race, the team updated the system management of the powertrain for more precise thrust at each wheel.

Acura's unique Sport Hybrid SH-AWD technology utilizes the highly responsive acceleration characteristics and regeneration capability of electric motors to further advance the torque vectoring systems currently applied to NSX, and available on RLX and the upcoming 2017 MDX. The system enables ideal handling characteristics in various driving situations by coordinating and managing all dynamic systems, including Electronic Power Steering (EPS), Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) and Sport Hybrid SH-AWD.

With its high-output electric motors and 4-motor torque vectoring, the Concept is well suited to the demands of the 156 complex corners the driver will encounter on the drive up Pikes Peak.

Last edited:
Very exciting, knowing Honda, they will nail it with NSX and bring a whole new experience like they did with NA1/NA2, NC1.

I love EVs as point A to B car, sound is not an issue with EV. My Taycan Turbo S sounded pretty good during acceleration/deceleration from both inside and outside to me and handing is amazing. BMW i4 and IX sound even better, they continue to improve in the sound department.

Only thing missing with current EV avilable are the shifting experience. Without it half of fun is gone.

Run was conducted in 2016 This design has been simmering in the oven for over 6 years now.

The police sirens are comical. They are there because the unit is really quiet. It will make a much cooler noise for production. You won't be pulling people over on the streets :)

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Vimkohb2H_4" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

The car appears to be extra zippy but without the needed 2x playback edit speed they used in the 80's :cool:
https://youtu.be/b0ako0dqm44

Last edited:
They should revive the Prelude name for the Honda coupe or they should have saved the Prologue name for this instead of the SUV.

The front of the "NSX" reminds me of the Pista with the sharp leading edge.

I dont think hydrogen is an option.

Hopefully they aim higher than they did with the current NSX (2017 vehicle aiming for 2010 Ferrari 458 performance).

I still think it will be a FCEV. Possibly plug-in for the US market and FCEV for Japan, depending on the hydrogen infrastructure around 2030. Also super capacitors instead of Li-Ion. I can't wait.

Hydrogen as a viable fuel system is still way out in the future. As we speak $billions are being spent on charging stations throughout the US. I suspect this will be the transitional fuel for the next 10 years. Setting up a charging station is so much easier and less expensive than a hydrogen Fueling facility. We already have the electric power grid. Keep in mind that all hydrogen fuel cell vehicles produce electricity which then charges the on board batteries which then feed the DC motors. You need a battery between the fuel cell and the electric motors as the fuel cell cannot develop electric current in the current ranges necessary to drive electric motors from slow to flat out fast.

So another way to think about it is that regardless of how the current is created, electric motors are the means of driving the wheels. Because of this the future NSX is a four motor electric vehicle first. The challenge will be the recover system and storage of current. Both Tesla and GM and I am sure others are exploring new battery technology’s. I suspect that Honda/Acura has a viable electric NSX propulsion system now. The challenge is getting a battery system that will give a reasonable range/weight ratio. That has to be the current holdup.

Tesla has a good looking concept for an electric sports car. If they made it now they could sell everything they can make. The problem is that they make more money with their S, X, Y, and 3. So why spend the money to test and develop a sports car that is only a concept now and still requires a lot of development before it will be considered ready for prime time. It will have to compete with other Super/Hyper cars currently available. Honda is much closer. I predict that the new NSX will be Honda/Acura flagship electric vehicle used to support their new electric vehicle offerings. So I think in another three years we will have our new NSX.

The new NSX will use its structure for the battery storage. The challenge is to safely secure the batteries so that an accident does not result in battery leakage. Think what has been done with gas fuel cells.

Last edited:
ICE, No EV

Just my opinion, but electric cars for me are of no interest at this time, they are fast, but no transmission, no manual transmissions, no engine note, buzz does not excite me at all, no cold start video's. I will keep my 2022 Type S, I will sell/trade my 2021 911 PDK, probably for a 2024 or 2025 Cayman GT4 or GTS with a manual transmission, probably the last ICE Cayman & maybe the last manual as the Cayman is headed for EV.

To those who want to talk BS about saving the planet, ICE's produce less bad stuff than current EV batteries made primarily in China and 40+% of electricity is created by burning coal. Solar and wind cannot produce enough additional electricity to support a change from approx. 10% EV to 50% EV or more. The only current non polluting solution is nuclear for electricity, also the current grid will not support the additional drain of EV increase from 10% to 50% or more. I expect that technology will create more options in the future, but for the now, options are limited, hydrogen providing electricity for electric motors is the clear clean solution for both cars and electricity in general, if technology can get us there in 10-15 years.

[h=2]BKWFL45 Says "ICE, No EV[/h]
Just my opinion, but electric cars for me are of no interest at this time, they are fast, but no transmission, no manual transmissions, no engine note, buzz does not excite me at all, no cold start video's. I will keep my 2022 Type S, I will sell/trade my 2021 911 PDK, probably for a 2024 or 2025 Cayman GT4 or GTS with a manual transmission, probably the last ICE Cayman & maybe the last manual as the Cayman is headed for EV.

To those who want to talk BS about saving the planet, ICE's produce less bad stuff than current EV batteries made primarily in China and 40+% of electricity is created by burning coal. Solar and wind cannot produce enough additional electricity to support a change from approx. 10% EV to 50% EV or more. The only current non polluting solution is nuclear for electricity, also the current grid will not support the additional drain of EV increase from 10% to 50% or more. I expect that technology will create more options in the future, but for the now, options are limited, hydrogen providing electricity for electric motors is the clear clean solution for both cars and electricity in general, if technology can get us there in 10-15 years".​

Yes I agree the sound and smell of ICE engined cars are a real draw. I really enjoyed attending the Long Beach Grand Prix.

Unfortunately, the reality is that we are killing our planet as we speak. Whether it’s the meat based diet consumed by the majority of Countries in the world, how we generate electricity, or how we consume fossil fuels. The bottom line is our children and their children will have a difficult time of it.

A lot of people hope that technology will save our asses. I am not so sure. Even if we are able to limit the warming of the planet, the damage done may not be reversed in total.

Yes, ideal solutions are not at hand, should not allow us to continue procrastinating. The future has a habit of proceeding whether or not we like it. Hey I live in Santa Barbara which is paradise. But I also have been to parts of the world that are really bad off. In the end what goes around comes around. Sorry for the downer.

Last edited:
Yes I agree the sound and smell of ICE engined cars are a real draw. I really enjoyed attending the Long Beach Grand Prix.

Unfortunately, the reality is that we are killing our planet as we speak. Whether it’s the meat based diet consumed by the majority of Countries in the world, how we generate electricity, or how we consume fossil fuels. The bottom line is our children and their children will have a difficult time of it.

A lot of people hope that technology will save our asses. I am not so sure. Even if we are able to limit the warming of the planet, the damage done may not be reversed in total.

Yes, ideal solutions are not at hand, should not allow us to continue procrastinating. The future has a habit of proceeding whether or not we like it. Hey I live in Santa Barbara which is paradise. But I also have been to parts of the world that are really bad off. In the end what goes around comes around. Sorry for the downer.

Lol, ok.

Back