• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

6 years of fun - from stock gpw NA2 with pop ups to CTSC NA2 NSX R

enigma,

Yes, went to dinner with your brother. He is a great guy and it sure sounds like you are part of a great car family with your dads new nismo 370z, his multiple z's and your nsx and bmw etc. Anyway thanks for the complements and maybe sometime when i'm in the area we can meet up. I am also thinking about the z car meet in denver later this year.

take care!

Everyone... thanks again for all the replies. This is what makes nsxprime so great. what a wonderful community we have.

Turbo2go. the stock front beam on a us spec na2 nsx is about 20-22 lbs (it is stamped steel) the procar one is about 1.5 lbs. they now have a cf front beam that i think is closer to 1lb. the stock rear beam is alumuminum on a us na2 nsx, but it is very heavy, i bet the stimpo one or the procar one could save another 10-15 lbs there as well
thanks
tom

I bought the STMPO rear one, even though mine is aluminum unlike NA1's. You are right, there is about 10 pounds to be had there. I was not aware the front one is that heavy, the one you have from procar is 1.5 only?!!:confused:

Did you buy your hood from the guy that had the Ferrari 360CS? You didn't seriously drop 10K on a hood, did you?!

turbo2go

i tried very hard to buy the hood you mentioned on the silverstone nsx and as far as i know it is the only other OEM honda type r hood in the US (he got it from procar right when procar was getting started), however after a couple of conversations it was clear that for whatever reason he was not interested in selliing the hood seperate from the car. as of about a year ago the car showed up for sale at a dealer with the hood and titanium brakes (zmi) still on it.

I ended up just buying a new hondy oem type r hood from rjp. i actually bought most of the type r parts from RJ and some of them from procar. the quality is unbelievable. I have a honda s2000 with a mugen (m tec) dry carbon hood, and the nsx-r dry carbon factory hood is on bar or better then it.

Tom

turbo2go

i tried very hard to buy the hood you mentioned on the silverstone nsx and as far as i know it is the only other OEM honda type r hood in the US (he got it from procar right when procar was getting started), however after a couple of conversations it was clear that for whatever reason he was not interested in selliing the hood seperate from the car. as of about a year ago the car showed up for sale at a dealer with the hood and titanium brakes (zmi) still on it.

I ended up just buying a new hondy oem type r hood from rjp. i actually bought most of the type r parts from RJ and some of them from procar. the quality is unbelievable. I have a honda s2000 with a mugen (m tec) dry carbon hood, and the nsx-r dry carbon factory hood is on bar or better then it.

Tom

Tom I have to say after seeing the bottom half of your hood nothing else will do .. just gorgeous. Does anyone have the factory R spoiler? I ask because the fit of the other aftermarkets has a bit too much gap for me.

Perry,

I believe frank spano has a honda type r oem wing. that is the only one that i'm aware of. i have never seen one in person but if it is like the hood in quality then it would be the one to have. I have a procar wing and what was amazing is the factory rear wing weighed like 11 lbs and the procar one was like 2 lbs. my car i thought needed new trunk struts until i put the new wing on, after that, no need for new struts, the truck goes right up.

If you go to the sca meet then you might be able to catch Tom's beautiful car.

Hi,

OEM front end just delivers so well for quality of fitment but to do it this way you need an eye for detail and dedication to get that hood!

Is the mesh for the hood OEM or after market? I have the Procar hood (and other Procar parts) and have a differnt mesh set up from Detlef.

It looks so clean left white on top.

Quick question - would the Brembo fit under OEM 17's?

regards, Paul

Attachments

• Hood screen with trim.JPG
    Hood screen with trim.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 720
Quick question - would the Brembo fit under OEM 17's?

regards, Paul

Paul you need spacers for any aftermarket caliper with the OEM 17. I think 15mm minimum for Brembo.

Paul, the hood, screen under the hood and seal are all oem honda nsx-r

limegreen nsx. thanks so much for the complement

thanks
tom

Tom,

You have one of the nicest cars on prime. It's great to see a build that is tastefull and has no shortcuts. Sometimes I get tired of seing cars that are inferior to a stock car because of the poor choices with cheap aftermarket parts.

Brandon

brandon,
thanks... i have been following your build as well. can't wait to hear how your project is progressing. thanks

tom

nsx- gt

great question
-when i purchased the car i prefered the pop up headlights and i wanted as low miles as possible, no paintwork, na2 (6 speed, 3.2l) white nsx with black interior. as i modified it i realized first that i prefered the 02+ rear valence, then i realized i liked the newer side skirts and door extensions, and finally i realized that i liked the front end. Most non nsx owners i believe like the pop ups, but i think as you own the car and then the longer you look at it, the more you can fall for the 02+ look. that is what happend to me.

keep in mind i also own a stock 05 nsx that i'm leaving alone. here are my observations

Advantages to starting with a 97-01 na2 and converting the front
-i don't like how the factory attached the door extensions on the 02-05 cars. they used ds tape at the top, with 6 or so clips to firmly hold the extensions to the car. the problem is that when you look down the side of the door you can see the dimples in the extensions where they clips hold them to the car. when you put the factory extensions on a pre-02 nsx you use ds tape only to hold them on, so they are perfectly smooth and the fit and finish is much better.
-I don't like how the factory rear under spoiler (the small spoiler underneath the rear wing) is attached on the 02+ cars. in the center their is a 4.5 inch round hole where the center attaches to the trunk lid. this is way over kill and the nsxr doesnt have this piece. (so you cant get rid of it easly on an 02-05 nsx) the nsx gt did have it.
-my o5 nsx and any 01 + nsx is ulev and they (like the s2000s of the same vintage) used and auxillary air pump and air injection to reduce emissions. you hear this air pump from time to time when you drive the car (especially at idle at a light) i prefer how my car does not have this air injection. My 08 s2000 does not have it (it was done away with in 06 and if they would have had an 06 nsx would not have had it either. I prefer not having it on my white nsx and wish my 05 didn't have this system, but in reality it is not that big of a deal
-the 97-99 nsx uses the same part number 6 speed as the 04-05 nsx.. which seems to have reduced incidends of rough shifting.
-the fit and finish of my 0em honda dry carbon nsx-r hood is half the hood to fender gap as a 02-05 stock nsx aluminum hood.

advantages of starting with an 02+ na2 nsx
-i prefer the silver stiching on the dash and door panels of my 05 and any 02-05 nsx
-i prefer the lighter silver dash and door panel trim compared to the darker trim on the pre o2 cars.
-i prefer the smaller, simpler and improved abs of the 01 and newer nsx.. i will add this to my nsx-r project (this is still on my must do list)
-i would have preferred to not have to modify my headlight buckets to fit the 02+ headlights. (the 02+ nsx has a slightly reshapped headlight bucket for the height adjuster on the headlight) you can avoid modifing your pre 02 nsx bucket by not having headlight height adjustment, but to me that is sillly so i modified mine.. wish i wouldn't have had to do this, but my change looks oem.
-from a purely econonic standpoint it is cheaper to sell the early car and just buy an 02+ car if using all honda oem parts is important to you (i have 20K in the front end bumper, beam, dry cf duct, headlights, honda hids etc nsx-r hood- most of the money was the hood, and then an extra 2k on the sides and 1k on the rear).. it is way more cost effective to just start with an 02+ nsx versus converting.

but in the end i'm happy with how it came together and the fit and finish on my nsx-r clone is better then my unmolested 05.

thanks and please keep the comments coming[/QUOTE]

Great answer

That just answered alot of my questions?

The only one I would like to re ask was:-the 97-99 nsx uses the same part number 6 speed as the 04-05 nsx.. which seems to have reduced incidends of rough shifting.

Now what about 01 - 03?

Thanks Shawn

when i checked it originally i went to a honda dealers website and checked each years part numbers for the transmission. so please feel free to double check the numbers also the 1999 zanardi if i remember correctly also had a different transmission part numper

Great build timeline! A person could have all the money in the world, but no taste; your car has come a long way and it truly reflects the money, time, and dedication that went into it.

BTW, I have the same ARC exhaust and I love it.

-Sean

I love your car and I also like how you have an authentic NSXR hood with the hardware. Obviously no expense was spared by why did you leave the pre 02 taillights out?

s-14. thanks for the compliment. the tailights are the JDM dark tailights. I prefer them to the 02+tail lights. (don't understand the oval amber section and the lighter color). also i have the stock 02+ tailights on my 05 nsx, so want this one to be different. happy 4th of july!! to all

Last edited:
Back