• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

85/15 mix vs 91 vs 93 octanes?

Hess here in NJ has 87 89 93 octanes but contains 10% ethanol. They are 3 cents cheaper than surrounding gas stations. I was surprised that the nsx can do 85/15 mix according the owners manual. Does anyone prefer the ethanol mix? I think it may burn cleaner but definitely not better mpg.

The nsx requires 91 or better octane but I don't see it around except at Sunoco which is 6 cents less than their 93. So only for a difference of 90 cents if you fill up. But if you have a stock nsx, would you still choose 93 over 91?

At the risk of starting a holy war, I mostly run regular on my 92. Its never missed a beat and I don't notice the difference when I have run premium. Of course, I got 30,000 miles out of my rear tires so it could be said I drive like an old lady.

I believe that if you drive the car hard, you will notice the difference between all three grades. If you don't drive hard, you'll notice your lighter wallet.

Miner

I would choose 91-93 without much look at the grade, but more of the quality of gas. I beleive I've heard Sunoco, Mobil, Exxon, BP, Sheel, & Valero to be all good gas. Chevron, Citgo, Getty, and Gulf to avoid.

At the risk of starting a holy war, I mostly run regular on my 92. Its never missed a beat and I don't notice the difference when I have run premium. Of course, I got 30,000 miles out of my rear tires so it could be said I drive like an old lady.

I believe that if you drive the car hard, you will notice the difference between all three grades. If you don't drive hard, you'll notice your lighter wallet.

Miner

HOLY WAR!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin: I'll be nice and let the other guys tear you a new one =) I will however point out to you that the money you saved by going cheap on the gas, your getting less mpg's and causing potential harms your engine In the end your paying more money because your getting less miles to the tank. Its a lose lose situation.

I would choose 91-93 without much look at the grade, but more of the quality of gas. I beleive I've heard Sunoco, Mobil, Exxon, BP, Sheel, & Valero to be all good gas. Chevron, Citgo, Getty, and Gulf to avoid.

Honda recommends "Top Tier" gasoline for their cars. Stations that provide "top tier" include:

QuikTrip ; Chevron ; Texaco ; MFA Oil Co. ; Conoco ; Phillips 66 ; 76 ; Entec Stations ; Shell ; The Somerset Refinery, Inc. ; Kwik Trip / Kwik Star ; Aloha Petroleum ; Tri-Par Oil Co. ; Turkey Hill Minit Markets ; Mileage Stations ; Chevron Canada ; Shell Canada ; Petro-Canada ; Sunoco Canada

Link: http://www.toptiergas.com/

And I would never put anything less than 91 octane in the tank.

I'm going to start running diesel fuel, just to see how well it runs.

Since I drive like an old lady, my spark timing is fully advanced and fuel efficiency does not suffer. Remember, octane rating has nothing to do with energy content. I can juice the fuel with alcohol and boost the octane rating and get worse fuel economy due to the lower energy content.

Miner

Don't use BP (Arco) gas, especially for FI cars. Some guys get knocking with that stuff. I only use 91 shell on mine. I figure with the current prices, you might as well get the best available.

for the first time, the past week, I made an error with the pump, I put of the 95 in my tank, the difference is obvious, I noticed that the engine has difficulties in start hot :frown: , cold, not of problem, moreover, the engine am slightly noisier and heat more when I roll downtown, it is better for the engine when the octane number is high! that is more expensive but the engine will be in good health! :smile:

HOLY WAR!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin: I'll be nice and let the other guys tear you a new one =) I will however point out to you that the money you saved by going cheap on the gas, your getting less mpg's and causing potential harms your engine In the end your paying more money because your getting less miles to the tank. Its a lose lose situation.
Using regular fuel will NOT harm your engine. However, you will get lower performance, and you will get poorer fuel economy. And the poorer fuel economy will more than offset any price savings on the gas, so there are NO benefits to using regular.

well i did say potential harm.

Greetings

All gasoline's are the same when they come out of the refinery -- all stations buy the very same stuff. The magic occurs when the gasoline is delivered to the station. Each station adds their mixture of magical additive ingredients -- this is where Chevron adds their Techron, etc.

Cheers,
Martin

If you don't drive hard, you'll notice your lighter wallet.
No, you won't, because if you use regular, you will be filling up slightly more frequently, enough to wipe our any savings. A difference of 1 mile per gallon offsets any savings from buying regular.

Back