• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

91 BB Build ( paint )

Hello Everyone,
I bought my 91 NSX in August of 2011 here in the Denver area. I was leaving for Chicago to buy a 92 Red/Black on a Tuesday, the Friday before I found my 91 BB here locally. It had more mileage then I really wanted @ 143k but it was bone stock and it was BB!!! Over all the car was solid and with the car being a work of art I felt comfortable with the canvas I would have to start with..
All the big services were done along with a new clutch. Since I've owned it I've replaced all hoses and seals and a new oil pan. I've replaced the factory brakes with slotted brakes and upgrade pads and braided lines all the way around. I really did want a big brake kit but felt that knowing I'm gonna maybe only track it a couple times I didn't really need to spend that coin on something that was more of a cosmetic fix for ME personally I could use it on other things for the car. I AM a little worried that my rims I ordered ( Volk GT-F ) 18,19's will over power the smaller rotors ( visually). I have a Tien flex suspension set up, in a crate waiting for my rims to arrive NOT TIL MARCH, A 16 week wait DRAG!!!!!! I put on a CT header and exhaust, upgraded the air intake. CT Supercharger summer 2012. I'm hoping to get my Stacy side skirts, Downforce 02 rear valance, Downforce rear spoiler,Shine front spoiler that I bought within the next week..
This brings me to the exterior, this is where my personal build is directed. I've made my living working on the exterior of cars for the last 25 plus years in multiple capacities. When it comes to black it's gotta be done right. Overall it's not to BAD but it has some issues. Nothing some labor and some $$ won't fix properly.
1- it has had misc panels painted ( no major bodywork BUT ) there are brown black panels with other panels being a blue black.

2- This probably should of been #1, the driver door had what looks like a perfect collision with a shopping cart. There was touch up paint applied in multiple stages to build up the lows of the dents to the level of straight metal around it. if you didn't know the car was aluminum you would have looked at it and thought pretty bad surface rust, each spot ( 3 total ) was the size of silver dollar. There was an attempt at Paintless Dent Repair ( PDR ) which in actuality caused more damage then the dents themselves. whoever tried it first drilled a hole in the door and also didn't use a plastic tip or tape on their PDR tool and scratched the backside of the door. All this can be fixed but totally unavoidable if proper care in quality would have been performed.
Anyway, I started disassembling my car to get ready to do a complete paint and get this Bad Boy looking like it should!!

Attachments

• DSC_0014.jpg
    DSC_0014.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 370
Heres the largest of the dents that were touched up with touch up paint. I had my painter sand the touch up area and repaint just that area so I would be able to bring up the dents to as close to level as possible. The dents were to deep to properly PDR properly but by pushing them up as much as possible, the amount of filler will only be a LIGHT skim coat. I think prime and block will be fine but I'll wait to talk with my painter when he gets back from vacation.

Attachments

• DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 328
This is a picture of the inside ( backside ) of my door where inadequate PDR was performed. Listed below,
1- hole drilled
2- using metal on metal, instead of incorporating a plastic tip tool or at the least tape on the tool to avoid these type of scratches.
3- No e coat reapplied to backside of panel on the scratches.
4- Aluminum doesn't rust but it can corrode and in time if these scratches aren't taken care of corrosion will start.
Doing your due diligence on a company ( for any type of repairs for your cars ) can only help you in the long run....THERE IS GOOD PDR AND BAD PDR

Attachments

• DSC_0080.jpg
    DSC_0080.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 293
I'm pulling my doors for paint, do any of you know if there is a wire harness down by the kick panel inside the car for each door? Or do I need to disassemble the complete wire harness off the door itself?

Attachments

• DSC_0079.jpg
    DSC_0079.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 247
I'm pulling my doors for paint, do any of you know if there is a wire harness down by the kick panel inside the car for each door? Or do I need to disassemble the complete wire harness off the door itself?

you can unplug the door harness by each kick panel and leave it in tact in the door. we pulled mine out that way.

Awesome Thanks Eyecandy, thats what I was hoping for..

Doors are gutted, for a 20 year old car I was expecting more clips to break. Only broke one retainer clip on one of the rods!!!

Attachments

• DSC_0088.jpg
    DSC_0088.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 165
Top panels are off, got it up on jacks. Make my life a lot easier with the bumpers, rockers etc.

Attachments

• DSC_0138.jpg
    DSC_0138.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 280
One thing that is gonna be nice with it all apart, is it'll give me a chance to go thru the car and clean and detail certain areas that haven't seen light pretty much in 20 years. Wheel wells look and feel like the grime is a half inch thick.
After the disassemble is complete I'm gonna degrease and power wash everything. Then hand clean everything so when re assembly is ready to go after paint everything will be clean.

Attachments

• DSC_0140.jpg
    DSC_0140.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC_0141.jpg
    DSC_0141.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 157
Rear end done, front end done, rocker panels off, starting to make some head way..

Attachments

• DSC_0151.jpg
    DSC_0151.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC_0167.jpg
    DSC_0167.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC_0152.jpg
    DSC_0152.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 222
One thing that is gonna be nice with it all apart, is it'll give me a chance to go thru the car and clean and detail certain areas that haven't seen light pretty much in 20 years. Wheel wells look and feel like the grime is a half inch thick.
After the disassemble is complete I'm gonna degrease and power wash everything. Then hand clean everything so when re assembly is ready to go after paint everything will be clean.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=83044&d=1326212868

Heres the progress so far, it went on a flatbed to start the paint work Friday. I didn't really realize but I've taken over 350 pictures of the tear down. I didn't think about it before, but it would of been a lot easier if I would have made 3 or 4 different folders and divided up the car and pictures in sections i.e. front, mid, rear. Anyway, heres some pictures of the tear down, before and after cleaning (1st stage ) hopefully in some sort of sequence..

R !/4 and Fender

Attachments

• DSC_0142.jpg
    DSC_0142.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC_0143.jpg
    DSC_0143.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC_0058.jpg
    DSC_0058.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC_0073.jpg
    DSC_0073.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 138
Here are some more before and after cleaning pictures after the tear down.

one more time

Attachments

• DSC_0001-2.jpg
    DSC_0001-2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC_0054-2.jpg
    DSC_0054-2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC_0058-2.jpg
    DSC_0058-2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC_0058.jpg
    DSC_0058.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC_0040-2.jpg
    DSC_0040-2.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC_0122-2.jpg
    DSC_0122-2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC_0099.jpg
    DSC_0099.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC_0011-2.jpg
    DSC_0011-2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC_0171.jpg
    DSC_0171.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC_0041.jpg
    DSC_0041.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 115
When I bought my NSX I saw what problems it had with the body and paint. The mechanics of it were strong minus some coolant and engine leaks which I fixed them all with new hoses and seals in the first month of owning it.
My first concern was the RR 1/4 and a door that had some really bad Paintless Dent Repair that I showed in earlier pictures. The 1/4 had some body work that I knew I would have to address which I was comfortable with. Just wish I would have been able to take the rear wheel liners out and the 1/4 air vent. You'll see why I felt I needed to buy a new 1/4.. You know there are hacks in any type of business or industry. My dad always said if your gonna take the time to do something, do it right the first time.
I also had owned my car for 6 days when I got rear ended by a lady trying to beat a couple bicyclists across the walk walk, but she didn't see me sitting there.. So, knowing I was planning on doing a complete body off re-paint I waited to do the rear end hit at the same time. I waited about 6 months before my car is at the stage it's at now. I bought it in Aug 2011 and knew I would have good weather here in Denver to be able to drive it this fall and into winter. Bottom line is I waited a long time before I bought it and like a crack addict I needed to get some seat time in it before I put it up on blocks.
I got my car to the body shop last friday after I did the tear down on it. The insurance adjustor met me at the shop Tuesday of this week and approved everything that we had on the estimate. I was ready to go to battle with him but he ended up being an adjustor that I have worked with on auto hail claims for my shop and had a good relationship with him.. Big bonus, a lot of times insurance companies will not pay to get the best repair possible done on your car like they all say they do. I was expecting them to tell me they were only gonna pay to repair my rear bumper not replace it like it needs, especially at a grand for the cover. It wasn't bad but it had a crown on top of the cover and a buckle on the side, could it have been repaired? Probably, but not a proper repair. He did cringe when he saw a grand for the upper rear cover and almost another 600.00 for the re-bar ( 02 aluminum ). He did say Bob I haven't seen to many of these on the road and I know you do things right with your shop I have no problems with this estimate but a grand for a cover? :biggrin:.... I didn't want to take any chances, so I also pushed to have the car measured on the frame rack. The front to rear was off 6 millimeters forward and 7 millimeters side to side. We are talking no more then a 1/4 inch which in actuality, isn't bad at all ( almost to the point you really don't need to do anything). With my OCD I told him I still wanted it pulled so he did a couple pulls and it's at 1 mill by 1 mill now whic I can live with and feel like it's not out of whack.
You know the thought of doing the frame pull, out of my own pocket to not show on a carfax did go through my mind. Then I thought you know my car is gonna be RIGHT when I'm done. when the time does come to sell it which I don't think it will, but if I do I know I will be selling an NSX that will be in it's best shape since it was fairly new. I KNOW the frame is good, I know the rest of the structure of the car is good, and when the paint work is done it'll be completely DONE RIGHT... I even hesitated to bring this on to this board but again my bad boy needed some love and care that it wasn't getting throughout the previous 20 years of it's existence. With out trying to sound self absorbing I know the car will be repaired and taken care of the way it's supposed to be taken care of..

Here is a list of things to get done by spring..

-CT header and exhaust - done
-CT short shifter - done
-Tien Flex suspension with edfc - bought... in a crate waiting to be put on ( waiting on wheels )
-Volk GTF 18.8 and 19.5 - bought ( March arrival )
-All seals and coolant hoses replaced -done
-New antenna - done
-Power Slot rotors and RB pads steel braided lines - done
-New front bumper upper and lower - bought in possession
-Shine front lip - bought in possession
-Stacey Side Skirts - bought
-New rear upper bumper cover - ordered
-02' Rear Valance - bought
-All 4 new wheel well liners - bought in possession
-all clips, push pins and fasteners new on anything that was taken off - bought in possession
-New RR 1/4 Panel - bought in possession
-HID kit - need to order
-Complete cleaning of the chassis and undercarriage after everything was taken off.
-Complete Re paint, jambs and Body panels off - in production now
-Complete wet sand and 4 stage polish
-Seal the paint after it cures
-Paint garage floor so he has a new bed to sleep on in the garage
-New lighting in garage
-New radiant heat overhead in my garage gotta keep him warm on those cold winter days and nights.. I might even park it on pillows for his sore feet.. I kid I kid!!!
-Stare at it while in garage waiting for that first good weather drive!! CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!

On the 1/4 picture you can see where they used metal screws to hold inner air vent structure together along with fiberglass and bondo. You can also see the bottom of the 1/4 where the side skirt clips in and where you bolt the 1/4 to the inner 1/4 rod fastener, they just cut a piece of metal and bolted it together to the rod fastener.. Cheesy really cheesy work..

Attachments

• DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC_0034-2.jpg
    DSC_0034-2.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC_0022-2.jpg
    DSC_0022-2.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC_0023-2.jpg
    DSC_0023-2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC_0137-2.jpg
    DSC_0137-2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 197
  • DSC_0141-3.jpg
    DSC_0141-3.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC_0144-3.jpg
    DSC_0144-3.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC_0152-2.jpg
    DSC_0152-2.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC_0164-2.jpg
    DSC_0164-2.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 178
Thanks Eye Candy... It's kind of a boring build so far but a lot of work and prep to make sure it's done right.

Trust me I know how that goes. Im doing a widebody, and Im making sure everything is as perfect as possible... Ive spent way too much time block sanding to make sure everything is smooth and no waves.

I can see you understand blocking is a necessity, we both know you'll be glad you spent all the time you will have with that sanding block in your hands..

Yeah and when there are so little flat spots on the sides of this kit, it just adds to the sanding agony.

Came back from Vacation and the Jambs and the roof are done I just need to colorsand and polish the roof.. Hopefully all the panels and misc items will be painted in the next two to three weeks..

Attachments

• DSC_0835.jpg
    DSC_0835.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC_0839.jpg
    DSC_0839.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC_0842.jpg
    DSC_0842.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC_0847.jpg
    DSC_0847.jpg