• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

91 turboed MR2

Well I bought a 1991 turboed MR2 w/ 91K for 3k I wanted a 1st Gen but hard to find with the SC and in good shape.

I've had 3, 2nd gen. MR2 turbo's. My friend still has one I sold him 11 years ago. Honestly the second gen. car is much better than the first. 91's did have a second gear syncro problem from time to time. I would recommend Amsoil or Redline MTF. This seriously helps.

I've had 3, 2nd gen. MR2 turbo's. My friend still has one I sold him 11 years ago. Honestly the second gen. car is much better than the first. 91's did have a second gear syncro problem from time to time. I would recommend Amsoil or Redline MTF. This seriously helps.
I tried Redline MTF - great for a few thousand miles, then performance fell off.

I was really happy with Royal Purple Synchromax.

I JUST sold mine... And am going to miss it:
DSC_0069.jpg

P1010026.jpg

I have driven How are these things when the miles get up there, mine has 91k

I tried Redline MTF - great for a few thousand miles, then performance fell off.

I was really happy with Royal Purple Synchromax.

I JUST sold mine... And am going to miss it:
DSC_0069.jpg

P1010026.jpg

That is beautiful. I don't think I will get heavy into modding it just yet.(maybe fix some cosmetics issues.) cause next summer I plan on shopping for my NSX. This car runs great, think I will have fun with it. Any thing you guys think I should know?

I have driven How are these things when the miles get up there, mine has 91k
Mine had 180K. But replaced EVERYTHING on the car.

Replacing the shifter bushings with Speed Source's brass bushings (+ TRD SSK) was the best bang/buck.

I used 0-40 non synthetic Castrol GTX and changed the oil every 2,500 miles. Used Royal Purple Synchromax and changed the gearbox fluid every 30K miles (its cheap, and quick, so why not -plus I tried a lot of different fluid).

Speed sensors tend to go, if they do, replace EVERYTHING from the gear, to flag key, to ****90* elbow (most important).

Fill the motor mounts with Shore 60 polyurethane or window poly.

Flush the brake system (fluid) if you havn't already - ATE Superblue is really good.

Huge +1 on Berk Technology (www.berktechnology.com) 3" DP, IC (most important upgrade), and exhaust. If you're going to do anything above stock power levels, i'd highly recommend upgrading the IC to Berk's

For the most part, they are great cars, feel free to actually DRIVE it!

Oh, and please put some 17's on it. The stock 15's or even 16's make the car look lame. :)

See you on www.mr2oc.com

!

The owner before me added a larger IC and larger DP. He has an aftermarket(larger) turbo, but he hasn't installed it yet so it still has the stock turbo. I won't do anything until I learn a little bit more about these cars. I have heard these thing handle great(I haven't pushed it yet) He claims he swapped all the fluids about a month ago, He says he did it himself, I trust the dude. He said he changed the oil every 1500 miles using Redline oil. Are there any harness bars for these things?? I only searched for a couple hours for random parts.

This one is white needs a new paint job, and the spoiler(left side) is slightly off. but the car drives great, and checks out ok on CARFAX. I'll post some pics when I get them

For almost 2 years I own a Japanese RHD Rev3 Turbo which I mainly use for trackdays (even though driving it on our LHD roads is still not as difficult as many expect it to be).

With a Mine's ECU, a different intake and exhaust this should be about 280-290 Bhp (Factory 245bhp) and is a lot of fun to drive:eek: .

It is really the little cousin of the NSX, very similar setup, just as much fun to play with, only a bit more tricky and the turboboost gives you the kick in the pants that I really missed with the NSX (so now I have the CTSC on my NSX which is much better fun):rolleyes: .
Pricewise I can hardly think of any other car that would give me the same fun/price level that the MR2 deliveres:biggrin:

35jh1eq.jpg

Keep an eye on your synchros, 91-92s had issues. 10 Years ago I sold my 93 Turbo supposed to be the fastest of the bunch never had a chance to tinker with it, felt underpowered. I have read the NA 2.2 motors are better for more power than the 2.0 yamaha motors. Fun toy to own.

I just bought a 93 N/A with the 2.2L motor about 3 months ago. You got a good deal, I think I overpaid a little. I paid 5K for my car and it's not even a turbo :( but it's still in good condition which is what I was looking for. So far the car has been a fun experience definitely never owned a sports car before and I'm loving every minute of it. Hope things go good for you and your 2.

A close friend bought one new and a driving instructor told him of a 5 minute "trick" to turn up the boost, i assume it had some manual boost controller. He did it, and the car was a good .3 of a second faster. It really shocked me. I'd say it would probably beat a stock early NSX. Check it out. He also cut about an inch off the stock springs. The car tracked about as well as the NSX. You can upgrade to I think Nissan brakes.

A close friend bought one new and a driving instructor told him of a 5 minute "trick" to turn up the boost, i assume it had some manual boost controller. He did it, and the car was a good .3 of a second faster.
Makes sense if he had a MBC. 0.3 seconds quicker - 0-60, 1/4 mile, around a track?

I'd say it would probably beat a stock early NSX. Check it out. He also cut about an inch off the stock springs. The car tracked about as well as the NSX. You can upgrade to I think Nissan brakes.
Having owned both at the same time, the NSX is still faster than even a 275whp MR2 (325ish crank - which is just out of reach of the stock turbo) in a straight line, in terms of handling, a lot depends on suspension and more importantly tires. Given equivalent both - handling still goes to the NSX, unless the NSX has stock suspension, stock 205/225, and the MR2 has suspension and a sticky set of wide tires.

The MR2 is still a great little car.

I have heard that the MR2 (MKII) is referred to as the poor mans NSX.

Its more commonly referred to as a por mans Ferrari

heard that too. My neighbor had a 97 NSX and called the MR2 poor man's NSX

heard that too. My neighbor had a 97 NSX and called the MR2 poor man's NSX

I got both NSX CTSC and MR2 Turbo Rev3, what does that make me:confused: :rolleyes: :wink:

don't know what it makes you, but it makes me wish I had your NSX:biggrin:

Back