• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

92 NSX - reconditioning leather seats and gloss black plastic trim

I recently bought a peachy 92 NSX, red/black, low miles (just over 20k) from its original owner who lived in California and Nevada, and who said the car was always garaged.

I notice a couple cosmetic things --

1. the black seat leather shows no tears or serious wear, overall its in very good shape, but the leather all over the seats feels pretty hard to the touch. I faintly recall reading somewhere some time ago that when these cars were new, the leather interior was 'glove leather soft'. Any thoughts or advice on this? For a 20+ year old car, will the leather have hardened alot even if the car has been clearly well cared for and never abused? Can the leather be reconditioned successfully with reasonable effort, or should I be looking for new seat covers if I want the soft leather feel again?

2. the glossy black plastic trim on the car -- e.g., behind the door handles, on the B pillar, and on the door trim where the glass retracts into the doors -- seems pretty worn (by finger nail scratches) or dulled. What's the fix for this, if any?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

MOD you can delete this post - it is a repeat of what is directly below. Sorry, newbie mistake!

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
You can google some leather restore products, you basically need to put moisture back into the leather, some of the best products out there can work miracles, look for thick creams or pastes that you can really massage into the leather to absorb. Make sure the leather is clean first.

For the trim, I've used Meguiars trim restore in my other cars before, brings a little bit of gloss back but not too much, it won't do much to fix the scratches though, just hides them temporarily a little bit. Maybe back to black could work too but not sure it's good on interior trim.

Back