• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

94 CTSC Coupe - E Test Failure - Engine Surge @ 2500 in Neutral

Hey Primers!

Strange problem here. Here in Ontario (Canada) cars are required to get an emissions test. The test involves testing emissions (via tail pipe mounted sensors) at 2 idle speeds. The test is carried out under no load (no dyno, just in neutral).

The first part of the test is to check for emissions at slow idle (regular idle speed) and the car passed without any issues. The second part requires someone to sit inside the car and hold it at 2500-2800 rpm, also in neutral. Unfortunately, this is where the car is having some difficulty. Basically, what happens is, when you try to hold the engine at this speed under no load, something causes the rpm to drop. Its almost like some sort of a rev limiter cutoff.

Car drives awesome under 'normal' conditions. There is no surging or other funny stuff at all.

Someone speculated that it could be something inherent to the NSX's - there might be some sort of limiter function which kicks in if the engine is revved up too hard in neutral. But we have not been able to confirm this with anyone and there doesn't seem to be much on the net about it, either.

Can someone shed some light on this, please? I figured if this is 'by design' then there must be others who have experienced something similar. If yes, how do you get the etest done? The test used to be carried out on a dyno here earlier, but the rules were changed recently and the dynos are no longer used here.

The car is a 94 coupe with CTSC, CT headers and upgraded exhaust. The SC is running the regular psi - no funny stuff with faster pulleys etc. Everything else is 'normal' - no warnings, lights or anything. Also, as mentioned previously, it drives perfect.

Any help / tips will be much appreciated!

Thanks

Basically, what happens is, when you try to hold the engine at this speed under no load, something causes the rpm to drop. Its almost like some sort of a rev limiter cutoff.

How warm is the car? Is this shortly after driving it to the location or has it been sitting in the lot at 0deg C for a few hours?

Well, my buddy drove it to the place so the engine was warmed up regular temp.

- - - Updated - - -

And its his regular summer car that he drives all the time - hasn't been sitting around for months etc. Runs perfectly on the road - I just went for a spin last week :)

The second part requires someone to sit inside the car and hold it at 2500-2800 rpm, also in neutral. Unfortunately, this is where the car is having some difficulty. Basically, what happens is, when you try to hold the engine at this speed under no load, something causes the rpm to drop. Its almost like some sort of a rev limiter cutoff.
My CTSC NSX doesn't do anything like that. It will hold any RPM just as it did before the blower went on.

Strange. So wonder what it could be? Under load (driving on the road, pushing it hard) everything works fine. Its just surging when trying to hold it @ 2500 rpm. What could it be - leak/tps/O2...?

From what I remember, I don't have that problem. How long did you hold it at that RPM? I'll try it out on mine.

Back