• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

97 Integra type R

It's worth every cent. From the sound of that ad this car has a wonderful pedigree but I would still bring a mechanic along to put the car up on a hoist and do a look see before you make any offers.

If you do buy it make sure you garage it and never leave it parked anywhere not even for 5 minutes out of your line of sight.

Keep her safe! PS are you in the Niagara Region? If you are and you want to go for a ride in an R I could always meet up with you

I am in central New York. So if your ever in the states contact me. Also you and the other primers weren't kidding about the theft situation with the type r's. Check out these ones for sale across the country and most of them are rebuilt titles due to theft. Some of them are clean titles and are reasonably priced.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/2933033383.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/2951087414.html

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/2942997863.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/2945750031.html

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/2945326038.html

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/2943538194.html

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/2876465320.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2941998570.html

It's 77000, all I'm wondering is why the 97 is so desirable. Is it because so few of them? I never driven one, i just want one. For those who drove one maybe you can tell me if its different then a gsr. Basically is it worth the 16.

partial reason is the color, the Qty of the white is less than black and yellow. The R has higher level of handling than GSR, and the power on R is 195 compare to GSR 170

the Qty of the white is less than black and yellow.
Not true. In the United States, they sold 1432 yellow ones, 1322 white ones, and 1096 black ones (573 Flamenco Black Pearl, 523 Nighthawk Black Pearl).

The '97 isn't any more (or any less) desirable than the other years. Most people don't care about the negligible differences in the front and rear end. Market prices don't show any premium or any discount for one year vs another.

There were only 500 total USDM cars in 97. Contrary to what nsxtasy says (no offense) some of us fanbois are ALL about the 97's. They do have a cult following on the inside of the ITR ownership circle although the differences are purely cosmetic. I'm not sure about the equality of how many cars were yellow and black compared to Championship White but Championship White cars were produced every year in Canada and Phoenix Yellow was only available for two years. 2000 and 2001 Nighthawk Black Pearl was never available in Canada. We had ITR's in 1999 and the USA didn't. Phoenix Yellow is by far the most rare color in Canada while the 1999 model year is the most rare over all. 1997 cars are far and few between though that's for sure. There were only like 160 of them in Canada to begin with and who knows how many have survived.

There were only 500 total USDM cars in 97.
Not true. There were 320 USIM ITRs sold in 1997. (And 1002 in '98, 1355 in '00, and 1173 in '01.)

Contrary to what nsxtasy says (no offense) some of us fanbois are ALL about the 97's.
I'm sure that's true of you "fanbois" :rolleyes: - but there just aren't very many such folks around. At least, not in the United States, based on all the attendees I've met each year at the annual ITR Expo event, the biggest ITR event in North America. How many of those have you attended? Or are you claiming that the other 3000+ ITR owners feel exactly the same way that you do, based on never meeting more than the handful where you happen to live?

Canadian numbers are different from the United States - especially in '99, when none were brought into the States - but overall, nowhere near as many were sold in Canada as in the States.

Last edited:
The R has higher level of handling than GSR, and the power on R is 195 compare to GSR 170

I love GSR's too but there are many other significant differences between the GSR and the R. The R came with limited slip differential, way more aggressive cam, 8400 redline, 10.6 to 1 compression, forged pistons, titanium connecting rods, port and polished by hand and assembled at the Tochigi plant by the same people who hand bulit each NSX. To say that the suspension is different is putting it very mildly. There are many significant differences with the suspension on the R that make it what it is. Some less commonly mentioned performance differences also include a smaller lighter battery (same as Zanardi NSX), lighter radiator, lighter seats, no a/c although it was sometimes installed as a dealer option, lighter 5 lug wheels, it came equipped with Bridgestone Potenza RE10's that were specifically designed for the Type R program, larger brakes, lighter trunk mat, lighter carpeting, lighter trunk cover, lighter seats, the list goes on and on..

The Type R model is to the Integra is what the Type R model is to the NSX essentially. They are AWESOME and every NSX owner should also own an Integra R.

Not true. There were 320 USIM ITRs sold in 1997. (And 1002 in '98, 1355 in '00, and 1173 in '01.)

I'm sure that's true of you "fanbois" :rolleyes: - but there just aren't very many such folks around. At least, not in the United States, based on all the attendees I've met each year at the annual ITR Expo event, the biggest ITR event in North America. How many of those have you attended? Or are you claiming that the other 3000+ ITR owners feel exactly the same way that you do, based on never meeting more than the handful where you happen to live?

Canadian numbers are different from the United States - especially in '99, when none were brought into the States - but overall, nowhere near as many were sold in Canada as in the States.

I'm not so sure, within the ITR group there have been many 97 acquisitions since you've probably stopped paying attention.. Joe, Dave B, Jack, ROR, Navin (in the past year off the top of my head).. And those were people specifically looking for 97's only.

The 97/98's always tend to fetch more than their 00/01 counterparts too.

Last edited:
Not true. In the United States, they sold 1432 yellow ones, 1322 white ones, and 1096 black ones (573 Flamenco Black Pearl, 523 Nighthawk Black Pearl).

The '97 isn't any more (or any less) desirable than the other years. Most people don't care about the negligible differences in the front and rear end. Market prices don't show any premium or any discount for one year vs another.

:biggrin: 1322 is less than (1096 + 1432) (black and yellow).

I love GSR's too but there are many other significant differences between the GSR and the R. The R came with limited slip differential, way more aggressive cam, 8400 redline, 10.6 to 1 compression, forged pistons, titanium connecting rods, port and polished by hand and assembled at the Tochigi plant by the same people who hand bulit each NSX. To say that the suspension is different is putting it very mildly. There are many significant differences with the suspension on the R that make it what it is. Some less commonly mentioned performance differences also include a smaller lighter battery (same as Zanardi NSX), lighter radiator, lighter seats, no a/c although it was sometimes installed as a dealer option, lighter 5 lug wheels, it came equipped with Bridgestone Potenza RE10's that were specifically designed for the Type R program, larger brakes, lighter trunk mat, lighter carpeting, lighter trunk cover, lighter seats, the list goes on and on..

The Type R model is to the Integra is what the Type R model is to the NSX essentially. They are AWESOME and every NSX owner should also own an Integra R.

Not titanium, but they (the con rods) are indeed lighter than the GS-R. The seats may or may not be lighter, but the cool thing is the bottom cushion is softer than the GS-R, which makes the relatively stiff ride a lot more tolerable.

The 97 was the lightest one, mainly because it came with no A/C (dealer installable) and also deleted the rear window wiper. Starting in 98, all ITRs came with A/C. The 97 also does not have the fake carbon textured parts in the interior, except for the instrument panel bezel.

edit: oops, I see 8400RPM already mentioned the A/C.

Last edited:
That's interesting about the dealer installed AC. I've never heard that 98+ came with it standard before. In Canada ITR's ALWAYS came without AC unless you specified that you wanted it to the dealer.

The rods were custom made, lighter, stronger and balanced. I think they said there's 0.0 difference in weight between the rods. Same with the crank, it was balanced to absolute perfection. The pistons had a special coating on the side of them(like the NSX). Bigger, lighter valves that were shaved down and also balanced to be 0 weight difference. Oil injectors under the pistons to keep them cool.
In fact, if I remember right, wasn't the Type-Rs sheet metal thicker in some areas to create greater rigidity?

Nice. If there's one classic car past 1970, the ITR is it.

That topic normally draws heated debates. I do agree though, but I could be viewed as biased (I've owned 3).

I would definitely own an ITR if I wasn't so scared of getting jacked. Everyone I know personally who has owned one has gotten theirs jacked at some point. F'n thieves.

I would definitely own an ITR if I wasn't so scared of getting jacked. Everyone I know personally who has owned one has gotten theirs jacked at some point. F'n thieves.

Yeah you have to keep them locked up at all times, they're a toy store for goodie parts for all civics and integras.

I think what I liked the best was the 100% robust nature of the ITR for track days. I did about 8-12 events per year for 5-6 years straight and did nothing but change the oil frequently, adjusted valves every 15K, and bled the brakes. I went through so many sets of R compound tires and brake pads. I revved it against the limiter all the time. Nothing ever broke, leaked, or overheated. It didn't even get rattly, although the heim joints in my rear camber adjusters squeaked.

This is in contrast to my NSX, which overheats on the track on hot days and shows alarming oil pressure drop at high rpm due to the sketchy sensor (replaced with SoS sensor now).

Last edited:
I think what I liked the best was the 100% robust nature of the ITR for track days. I did about 8-12 events per year for 5-6 years straight and did nothing but change the oil frequently, adjusted valves every 15K, and bled the brakes. I went through so many sets of R compound tires and brake pads. I revved it against the limiter all the time. Nothing ever broke, leaked, or overheated. It didn't even get rattly, although the heim joints in my rear camber adjusters squeaked.

This is in contrast to my NSX, which overheats on the track on hot days and shows alarming oil pressure drop at high rpm due to the sketchy sensor (replaced with SoS sensor now).
In over 13,000 actual track miles (out of 82K total miles), I never had any overheating problems with my NSX. But I did have to replace the clutch twice, whereas I still have the original one in my ITR with 10K track miles 70K total miles, and I had to replace ball joints twice in the NSX. And of course, the price of an NSX clutch job is almost three times as much as one for the ITR. The ball joints aren't inexpensive either.

Seem to have found this little gem in the Chicago area:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/2957246957.html

hhhmmm..... Tempting.

If it was white it would be in my driveway already lol:cool:

I called the number to that listing as soon as it was listed, and some shady kid answered and told me he was selling for a friend. So I told him to send me the vin number. So this morning I get a call from him and he gives me the vin. I just don't know if its worth the money to even carfax it.. maybe someone in the Chicago area can go check it out. I will give a nice reward for doing this.

The ITR is an EXCELLENT car. There are days where I actually prefer to drive it over the NSX. It's just so high strung and it does exactly what you want it to. It's ridiculously predictable and just all around awesome. Serial Integra owner here. I've never driven an S2k but I'd like to try a CR sometime.

The CR is a little too refined. If you want a good, true feel of an S2K look for an 02-03 model.

I called the number to that listing as soon as it was listed, and some shady kid answered and told me he was selling for a friend. So I told him to send me the vin number. So this morning I get a call from him and he gives me the vin. I just don't know if its worth the money to even carfax it.. maybe someone in the Chicago area can go check it out. I will give a nice reward for doing this.

I have owned 4 integras and the smartest option for you is to buy a an auto LS (or a 5 speed) for around 2k and get a JDM/USDM Type R motor and LSD trans for 4k. You would still have money left over for paint and you wouldn't have to worry about theft b/c there isn't the type r wing and stickers all over it. Working on these cars is sooo easy. I would gladly build it for you. Plus, having an LS chassis would keep the insurance down. EVERYTHING can be added to an LS to make it a Type R....5 lug conversion, wing, wheels, seats, suspension...hell you can even remove the AC if you really want that JDM type R experience. I will gladly pass on any knowledge I have to help you. Feel free to PM me and we can talk about.

Jay

Back