• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

98 NSX vs 02 Z06 - and the winner is...

I don’t like bragging, but I thought that this was one victory you guys should know about. There was an Autocross today at Rye Playland in New York. I ran Super Stock with my 98 Coupe (mods are I/H/E). There was only one other car in my class, an ’02 Corvette Z06 (405 HP and 400 lb ft of torque) and I won! After 3 runs, I had a time .2 seconds better then the Vette. Then, in the 4th run he pulled ahead of me by .1 seconds. Then on the 5th run I nailed the course and beat him by .5 seconds! My competitor is an experienced driver, which adds all the more reward to OUR victory. By the way my competitor was also a nice guy and very complimentary towards the NSX. So for any Corvette people listening in, I’m not flaming anybody.

Great job!

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

Before I bought my NSX 2years ago, I was a Corvette owner and was about to buy a new one. However, it just didn't seem to have the quality of even my son's Honda Accord. It was dissapointing. My son, however, convinced me to look at the NSX. What a difference! To answer the question as to what I think of the Z06, I still have a lot of respect for its performance, but I still see the same quality (or lack thereof) issues that I saw two years ago. After looking closely at the engine compartment, interior, undercarriage, etc. I don't see the same quality of an NSX.

Was this a 1/4 mile run?

If so, you were very lucky.

With that extra torque and HP at the same weight of a NSX, the 2002 Z06 turns low 12s and 0-60 times in 4 seconds.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 30 September 2001).]

His post wrote autocross, not 1/4 mile run.

The Z06 doesn't weigh the same as his NSX coupe. Try at least 200lbs more than his NSX.

Originally posted by Jimbo:
Was this a 1/4 mile run?

If so, you were very lucky.

With that extra torque and HP at the same weight of a NSX, the 2002 Z06 turns low 12s and 0-60 times in 4 seconds.

-Jim

The Z06 doesn't weigh the same as his NSX coupe. Try at least 200lbs more than his NSX.

Wrong. The '98 NSX Coupe weighs 3,164 pounds. The Corvette Z06 weighs 3,118 pounds.

nsxtasy, you are not exactly correct either. He was mentioning "his nsx" which has I/H/E so its still a bit lighter(about 20-30 pounds) than the numbers you quoted.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by nsxtasy:

Wrong. The '98 NSX Coupe weighs 3,164 pounds. The Corvette Z06 weighs 3,118 pounds.

[This message has been edited by 19inchNSX (edited 01 October 2001).]

Jimbo, I agree that the Corvette has an advantage in the ¼ mile, after all it has 78% more cubic inches, 40% more HP, and 78% more torque. However, my best time in the NSX is 12.58 at 111 MPH (se the link below and scroll down to the COMP 6 category) so the difference wouldn’t be as great as you might think!
http://www.nira.com/events_results.asp?RaceID=11

nsxtasy, I weighed my car on the scales at Raceway Park without spare tire, Volk Racing wheels, and ¼ tank of gas it was 2,860, so Nimbus is correct.

I weighed my car on the scales at Raceway Park without spare tire, Volk Racing wheels, and ¼ tank of gas it was 2,860, so Nimbus is correct.

No he's not. You need to compare apples to apples. For example, curb weight statistics such as those quoted above include a full tank of gas. The fact that your tank was 1/4 full, all by itself, means that your car was almost 100 pounds lighter than the car's curb weight - which the Corvette could just as easily have done (and probably did). Similarly, while removing equipment such as the spare tire (29.4 pounds) will lighten your car, doing so on the Corvette presumably did the same thing. But that doesn't mean that your car weighs less than his car; it doesn't make sense to compare his car's weight when full with your car's weight when empty.

I/H/E and wheel mods probably reduced the curb weight by about the difference between the two stock cars, so that your car's curb weight is roughly the same as that of the Corvette (unless there are additional weigh-saving mods you've done and not stated here). But saying that a Corvette weighs 200 pounds more than your NSX is like saying that a stock NSX weighs 200 pounds more than your NSX. It's not because your car is any lighter - it's because you emptied stuff out of it.

It would have been interesting to weigh your car and the Z06 at the track where you did your event, to see how your car as emptied compares with his car as emptied.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 01 October 2001).]

I don't want to quibble over 50 pounds one way or the other. Heck, one driver might weigh 50 pounds more than the other.

The only point I was trying to make is that dswartz had a great day. He probably drove very well and his counterpart in the Vette drove less so.

The Z06, particularly the 2002, is a much faster car than the NSX. As far as handling is concerned the two cars are very competitive.

Find a NSX that turns consistent 1/4 mile runs in 12.2 and 0-60 runs in 4 seconds and I think you'll find that car to have considerable and costly modifications.

Jim

(BTW: The 2002 Z06 doesn't have a spare tire)

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Actually, Dave's accomplishment is all the more impressive in that the NSX doesn't have a big weight advantage over the Z06.

Depending on the type of event, driver skill is often a much bigger differentiator than a difference in the cars' capabilities.

I'd have to respectfully disagree with Jimbo's assertion that the NSX and a Z06 are competative from a handling perspective.

They're not -- the Z06's grip and handling on the track significantly exceeds a stock NSX on the track, and even exceeds a Zanardi's grip on the track. As a matter I've point, I've tried to stay with a Z06 on the track with my Zanardi and it just wasn't going to happen.

While I agree with the quality issues the Corvette most certainly has, and while I'd still take an NSX over a Z06 for a variety of reasons (appearance, quality, higher revving engine, etc.), the Z06 is superior from both a power and handling perspective.

Quite simply, the NSX (as we probably all know and agree) drastically needs an upgrade if it's going to be competitive with the sports cars of recent years.

As for the Autocross victory, congrats
smile.gif
I wasn't there, obviously, but I'd attribute the victory to driving skill and the tightness of the typical Autocross course.

-Brad

Originally posted by Z18:
I'd have to respectfully disagree with Jimbo's assertion that the NSX and a Z06 are competative from a handling perspective.

They're not -- the Z06's grip and handling on the track significantly exceeds a stock NSX on the track, and even exceeds a Zanardi's grip on the track. As a matter I've point, I've tried to stay with a Z06 on the track with my Zanardi and it just wasn't going to happen.

While I agree with the quality issues the Corvette most certainly has, and while I'd still take an NSX over a Z06 for a variety of reasons (appearance, quality, higher revving engine, etc.), the Z06 is superior from both a power and handling perspective.

Quite simply, the NSX (as we probably all know and agree) drastically needs an upgrade if it's going to be competitive with the sports cars of recent years.

As for the Autocross victory, congrats
smile.gif
I wasn't there, obviously, but I'd attribute the victory to driving skill and the tightness of the typical Autocross course.

-Brad

I have not driven a Z06 yet, and I have no doubt it's a good car. However, I have no doubt the NSX is comparable in that department. Especially in a medium to high speed track.

I have to disagree from your statement implying that the NSX is better in a slow speed track (tight). The NSX is a car who in order to go fast, u have to carry the momentum. Thus slow corners/tight are not really good for the NSX. While the Viper, corvette, can just brake, turn and put the torque down exiting the turn.

Andrie Hartanto: I might agree if the driver is very skilled. More often I see hi torque cars spin out and struggle in tight tracks because of the torque and engine braking issues. For me, the NSX is much easier to drive on a tight track, and therefore more appealing And I definitely have neither the guts nor the skill to pin the accelerator on a Viper while still exiting a turn.

-Brad

Originally posted by dswartz:
I don’t like bragging, but I thought that this was one victory you guys should know about. There was an Autocross today at Rye Playland in New York. I ran Super Stock with my 98 Coupe (mods are I/H/E). There was only one other car in my class, an ’02 Corvette Z06 (405 HP and 400 lb ft of torque) .....

congrats on the victory. with those mods shouldn't you be running ASP?

Originally posted by Andrie Hartanto:
The NSX is a car who in order to go fast, u have to carry the momentum.

Z18, Andrie is absolutely right about the NSX. apples to apples on drivers the NSX does not have the torque to compete with some of the vipers and vettes at auto-x.

Originally posted by Andrie Hartanto:
I have not driven a Z06 yet, and I have no doubt it's a good car. However, I have no doubt the NSX is comparable in that department. Especially in a medium to high speed track.

I disagree. Put both in the hands of a good driver, even one experienced with mid engine cars, and the Z06 stomps the NSX. Heck, even the first C5 beat it handily in head to head track tests.

Still, I'll keep my NSX. But the Z06 would make a nice beater!

I think it's really useless comparing two cars at an auto-cross. Driver skill and tires are so much more of a factor at auto-crosses. At one auto-cross I attend, one of the top drivers has a *stock* nissan sentra and beats almost everyone in it because he's very good. I've been able shave .5 to 1 seconds off my time just by adding 2 pounds to my front tires.

-tim

Originally posted by tmeekins:
I think it's really useless comparing two cars at an auto-cross. Driver skill and tires are so much more of a factor at auto-crosses. At one auto-cross I attend, one of the top drivers has a *stock* nissan sentra and beats almost everyone in it because he's very good. I've been able shave .5 to 1 seconds off my time just by adding 2 pounds to my front tires. -tim

You are SO correct!! Even "drivers schools" and lapping days are a poor indicator. The variance in drivers far exceeds the difference between cars.

Originally posted by sjs:
I disagree. Put both in the hands of a good driver, even one experienced with mid engine cars, and the Z06 stomps the NSX. Heck, even the first C5 beat it handily in head to head track tests.

Still, I'll keep my NSX. But the Z06 would make a nice beater!

First of all, I think its fun comparing cars in many different ways. I’ve also autocrossed a Corvette and had been very successful with that car for many years. However, it has never ceased to amaze me over two years of owning the NSX how well the NSX performs with so little power. I have become a believer of the basic design principal of “small and light”. It not only performs well, but it is a joy to drive in any situation. The Corvette always felt big and heavy, almost scary coming into a turn after a straightaway. However, the statement that “even the first C5 beat it handily in head to head track tests” needs some clarification.

In the July 98 Road & Track, there was an article entitled “The Best All-Around Sports Car”. In that test they used an “Indy 500” special edition Corvette C5 Convertible versus a 98 NSX Coupe. In every measure of acceleration and lap times, the NSX beat the Corvette.

In the July 99 Motor Trend, there was an article entitled “Top-Speed Shootout”. In that test they used a Corvette C5 Hardtop versus a 99 NSX Zanardi Coupe. In the Top Speed test, the Corvette was 10 MPH faster then the NSX, 0-60 the NSX was faster at 4.7 versus the Corvette’s 4.8, in the ¼ mile the NSX came out on top again at 13.1 sec/ 109 mph versus the Corvette’s 13.3 sec/ 108 mph, in one mile acceleration the Corvette nosed out the NSX with 33.7 sec/155 mph versus the NSX’s 34.1 sec/ 150 mph, in lateral g’s the NSX won with .99 versus the Corvette’s 90, in 0-100-0 the NSX won again with 15.5 sec versus the Corvette’s 16.3 sec, in the 600 ft slalom the NSX won with a speed of 70.5 versus the Corvette’s 68.1 mph, and in braking 60-0 they tied at 116 ft.

In the August 99 Car and Driver Road Test Annual, there was an article entitled “0-150-0”. In that test they used a C5 Corvette versus an NSX Coupe. The NSX won with35.9 seconds versus the Corvette’s 37.8 seconds. They also compared 0-60, 0-100, 0-150, and ¼ mile. In every comparison, the NSX won.

In the April 00 Road & Track, there was an article entitled “The Best Handling Cars in America”. In that test Mario Andretti drove the cars and compared Skid Pad, Slalom, and Track Segment Times. They used a Corvette C5 versus an NSX Zanardi Coupe. In every test the NSX came out on top.

While the Z06 has some performance advantage, it appears that objective comparisons don’t support the statement that “even the first C5 beat it handily in head to head track tests”.

Dswartz ...

Sounds like you read about as many magazines as me
smile.gif
I remember all those issues.. In fact, acura sent me "The best handling cars in america" along with an NSX brochure when I inquired about the car.

I find it says a lot about a car when you trade in a 2000 Vette for a 93 NSX (or somethign similar.. as many people on these boards have done).

Anyway, once again.. great job driving!

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

Back