• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

992 gt3

992 GT3 Reveal

Launch Video:

6:59.927 at the Nurburgring:

Favorite German reviewer:

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/02/16/2022-porsche-911-gt3-992-reveal/

autoblog.com said:
In the handling department, the GT3 adopts a double-wishbone front suspension that is based on the system used in the 911 RSR race car. The rear suspension is a multi-link setup that doesn't come from the race car, but it also doesn't share a single piece with the regular 911 Carrera models. For stopping, the front brakes have increased by an inch to 16 inches in diameter. Carbon ceramic brakes are an option, featuring 16.1-inch front rotors and 15.4-inch rear rotors.

All of these components work together to make the new GT3 quite a bit faster on track than the old one. The best illustration of that is in the new car's Nürburgring lap time of 6:59.927. It's roughly 17 seconds than its predecessor, and a sub-7-minute time for any car is mighty impressive.

Last edited:
Aside from its performance improvements, I am in love with its sound. It definitely sounds higher pitched than the prior generation GT3s. And how can you not love the 9K RPM? I may have to get on the waitlist finally...

Porsche really knows the motorsport car enthusiast. They go about it in a very german way too. Pretty impressive watching their progress since the 997 GT3 era. I'm still blown away by how nice that 6 pot sounds which they've just incrementally improved each generation as Porsche does. First heard the 997 GT3 at a track in 2010 and OH MY. Almost worth the price of admission just for that.

Agreed. I always thought that flat plane crank high-revving engines in Ferraris were the gold standards of aural pleasure. But the sound of GT3 6 pot engines has grown on me over the years... Maybe we all need one of each - an NSX, a GT3, and a Ferrari (355, 360, F430, or 458). :biggrin:

well pot is now legal...

Porsche really knows the motorsport car enthusiast. They go about it in a very german way too. Pretty impressive watching their progress since the 997 GT3 era. I'm still blown away by how nice that 6 pot sounds which they've just incrementally improved each generation as Porsche does. First heard the 997 GT3 at a track in 2010 and OH MY. Almost worth the price of admission just for that.

FYI: The GT1 engine that was on the 996/997 GT3's has nothing to do with the engine that is on the 992 GT3, totally different engines with zero parts shared or derived. The only thing in common is that they are both NA flat 6's.

FYI: The GT1 engine that was on the 996/997 GT3's has nothing to do with the engine that is on the 992 GT3, totally different engines with zero parts shared or derived. The only thing in common is that they are both NA flat 6's.
Agree. Metzgers ended in the 991 IIRC. I don't follow Porsche that closely but I can say as far as sound... it's been amazing since the 997 GT3 era.

Agree. Metzgers ended in the 991 IIRC. I don't follow Porsche that closely but I can say as far as sound... it's been amazing since the 997 GT3 era.

The last Metzger engined car was the 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0.

The 991.1 GT3 used a different engine altogether (non-motorsports engine) (no official designation of the engine AFAIK). There were many iteration of those due to the failure of con-rods and lifters.

The 991.2 GT3 used a motorsports derived engine (991.2 GT3 Cup Car's engine)

Back