• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

996 VS Pre97 NSX

Although the NSX has been out for 10 years now, it's still one of the BEST sports car in the world. Just wondering what's everyone's opinion about these 2 cars?

there is no questioning Porsche engineering and sophistication. I love NSX's but also Porsches. Many cars are just built for speed without allowing the rest of the car to catch up to the engine. Porsche and NSX cars are built as a complete package. You are getting a car that is engineered from the get-go as a performance car unlike others that are just 1/4 mile fast and cant brake or handle for spit. I cant or wont knock a Porsche. I like to refer to the NSX as a Japanese Porsche. Both cars are built well and one cannot go wrong with either one. One thing though-Porsches have available anything a racer would want to add on. Hundreds of suppliers for ANYTHING, and I mean ANYTHING for those cars. Not unless we are talking twin turbo 911 here, I would take the NSX if by the looks. But that 911 TT........Damn my heart is racing now.

Justin,
yeah he's still driving the lude..
well, wait and see what's gonna happen in Oct
and u'll be surprised
smile.gif

I own both a 3.0L NSX Coupe and a 996 Carrera 2 Cabriolet. They are totally different animals. Both are exotic sportscars with fantastic performance, but it is unfair to compare them.

IMHO, the 996 is more responsive, has a tighter feel and is an all-around better performing vehicle. I track and autocross both, and the 996 is my favorite. Porsche has got it right with the 996 series.

My NSX is a '91, and I know that there have been a TON of changes in the last 9 years, but Honda hasn't kept up with the times. In 1991, the NSX was WAY ahead of its time. However, other automakers have caught up and surpassed Honda. Even the S2000 is a let-down for me. To get performance out of it you have to drive it near redline, which isn't real fun.

Don't get me wrong... I LOVE MY NSX. But, I REALLY LOVE MY 996! I am a Honda person... I've had three Civics and currently have both an Acura RL and the NSX. I'll always own a Honda of one type or another.

If you're in the used market, go for the NSX. Its a better buy. If price isn't an issue and you're in the new car market, get the 996. And if price REALLY isn't an issue, get the 996 Turbo. OR, plunk down a deposit on the next generation NSX and buy a 993 or NSX in the meantime.

EDR

IMHO, the 996 was Porsche's attempt to create a vehicle that emulates the NSX's "easy to drive fast" character. In doing so, there has been a muting of the sharp-edged responsiveness of the 993.Furthermore, the 996 Coupe should be compared to the 97 and later NSX Coupe. The latter is "tighter", faster, better handling, with better build quality and ergonomics than the former.

I've driven the 993 and 996 as well as the 3.0 and 3.2 liter NSX.

Acceleration is about even in this group, with the newer cars slightly better than the older cars, but the NSX and Porsche are roughly equivalent. The turbo 911 is a different story, just as aftermarket superchargers are for the NSX, but I'll assume we're comparing stock versions of the normally aspirated model.

Brakes on the Porsche are phenomenal. They're very good on the NSX too but the edge here goes to Zuffenhausen.

The NSX is far, far superior in handling and cornering. It's incredibly balanced, and it will go exactly where you point it. Just touch the wheel and the car is instantly exactly where you want it. The 993 and 996 are nowhere near as crisp.

Shifting is pretty close. The NSX has a wonderful shifter, smooth with short throws; the Porsche is almost as good.

Ergonomics are a huge advantage for the NSX. Controls are extremely well laid out and well labeled. Some of Porsche's layouts are strange and iconographic markings are cryptic. And those stupid pedals pivoting from the floor are ridiculous.

Reliability... well, it's not exactly a strong suit of the Porsche. 'nuff said.

Finally, for the driving experience itself, to some extent it's a matter of personal preference. These two cars do NOT feel the same to drive, and are far more different from each other than, say, the difference between the F355 and the NSX. I find the Porsche, in general, to be sloppy where the NSX is precise. But regardless of which you prefer, you really ought to drive both extensively before making your decision.

Bottom line: Both are fine cars. I prefer the NSX; I find that in aspects where the Porsche is superior, the NSX is nearly as good, whereas the advantages of the NSX are in areas where there is a much greater discrepancy between the two.

Having just traded my 996 for a 2000 NSX-T you can tell what my current preference is. Had 4 Porsches and loved them all.
Subjective for sure, but the NSX to me feels much more like a sports car than the 996 - it is almost as if Porsche made it a tad too civilized.
As someone else mentioned in this thread, test drive a 993 against a 97 NSX-T, IMO you can't really go wrong with either.
BTW, almost zero problems in over 10 years of Porsche driving, including track time. Both are daily drivers for sure.

Good luck!

NSXTASY: Absolutley great post. I had the same questions about making the change from Porsche to NSX. But, I am only driving a 90 911C4 currently.

[This message has been edited by Coz (edited 28 August 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Coz (edited 28 August 2000).]

Thanks NSEX

Originally posted by NSEX:
Although the NSX has been out for 10 years now, it's still one of the BEST sports car in the world. Just wondering what's everyone's opinion about these 2 cars?

Joel Zoldessy, MD... Could you email me when you get the chance? I had a couple car questions for you. I believe you emailed me a while back but i lost your addy. THanks in advance.

[email protected]

I had a '92 NSX I no longer own (wish I hadn't sold it). Yesterday I test drove a 993, 996 and two Boxsters at my local Porsche dealer. For the thousands of times I've admired a passing 993 or looked through brochures, I never thought I'd hear myself say, "This just isn't what I'm looking for". I had even driven one before buying my NSX and thought is was great. I guess times change what you expect. I was very disappointed in the 993 yesterday. First of all it didn't fit well. The seats were low and the cushioning didn't feel that great -- a little too soft. The unadjustable steering wheel was high. It was loud inside. Ride and handling felt OK. But the worst part was it's power delivery. To me it just felt slow. You could rev the hell out it in first but then the 1-2 shift wasn't smooth. It made me realize technology marches on and the 993 is an old car.

The Boxsters were '97 and '99 2.5s, not the new 2.7 or 3.2S. They handled OK but their shifter felt mediocre and the chassis flex, cowl shake and steering wheel shake was an unexpected surprise. Also these 2.5 had little power, subjectively. The '99 had a horrible clutch, difficult to drive smoothly. The '97 was more like I expected. Makes me concerned about the consistency of these cars.

Then I drove a 1999 996. Very nice car. Great shifter, as good as an NSX. Great A/C (here in 110 degree Dallas, that's important). Good seating position, semi adjustable steering wheel (in & out, better than nothing but not as good as tilt and in & out like NSX). Nice power delivery but not as much power I expected. Seats were the non-sport normal. They were tight on my middle and upper back (I'm normally built 5.8). I got used to it but I wanted to open them up a little. Not as good as the NSX seats in my opinion. Steering had sharper turn in than my NSX had, that was nice. A thoroughly refined contemporary sports/GT car. I would be happy owning one.

I thought my NSX didn't have enough power when I got on it and was disappointed. My surprise was these cars didn't blow me away either. I just expected more "push" from cars of this calibre. Maybe their real purpose is high speed, above the street and highway driving I did. My NSX was as good (damn!). Next I have to try a BMW M Roadster and see if it's power delivery is what I'm looking for.

My biggest surprise of the day came when I got back into my everyday '99 New Beetle Turbo (with Garrett chip). I pulled out onto the road and exclaimed, "My God, this car feels FAST!" Maybe it's the lighter weight, the chip, and power delivery characteristics with more low to midrange torque, but in comparison to the Porsches I drove, it felt like it wanted to go. Made me feel good.

Back to NSX's, I felt after my test drives that except for the 996 (where they're about equal), NSX's have it all over the Porsche's in terms of what I think it takes to be a fun driving car in the type of driving I do most. Maybe one is a little better than the other on the track but so what? The 996 is more versatile -- I could fit my two kids in the back and take the whole family to a Porsche club event. The NSX driving position with its Panoramic view of the road is just the best. It's a real sports car. I really screwed up when I sold mine.

Now my question is what does a 97+ NSX feel like with it's 6-speed and more power? Do NSX-T's have the chassis and cowl shake like the Boxsters (it wasn't a lot of shake but noticeable)? That would drive me nuts.

I had a '92 NSX I no longer own (wish I hadn't sold it). Yesterday I test drove a 993, 996 and two Boxsters at my local Porsche dealer. For the thousands of times I've admired a passing 993 or looked through brochures, I never thought I'd hear myself say, "This just isn't what I'm looking for". I had even driven one before buying my NSX and thought is was great. I guess times change what you expect. I was very disappointed in the 993 yesterday. First of all it didn't fit well. The seats were low and the cushioning didn't feel that great -- a little too soft. The unadjustable steering wheel was high. It was loud inside. Ride and handling felt OK. But the worst part was it's power delivery. To me it just felt slow. You could rev the hell out it in first but then the 1-2 shift wasn't smooth. It made me realize technology marches on and the 993 is an old car.

The Boxsters were '97 and '99 2.5s, not the new 2.7 or 3.2S. They handled OK but their shifter felt mediocre and the chassis flex, cowl shake and steering wheel shake was an unexpected surprise. Also these 2.5 had little power, subjectively. The '99 had a horrible clutch, difficult to drive smoothly. The '97 was more like I expected. Makes me concerned about the consistency of these cars.

Then I drove a 1999 996. Very nice car. Great shifter, as good as an NSX. Great A/C (here in 110 degree Dallas, that's important). Good seating position, semi adjustable steering wheel (in & out, better than nothing but not as good as tilt and in & out like NSX). Nice power delivery but not as much power I expected. Seats were the non-sport normal. They were tight on my middle and upper back (I'm normally built 5.8). I got used to it but I wanted to open them up a little. Not as good as the NSX seats in my opinion. Steering had sharper turn in than my NSX had, that was nice. A thoroughly refined contemporary sports/GT car. I would be happy owning one.

I thought my NSX didn't have enough power when I got on it and was disappointed. My surprise was these cars didn't blow me away either. I just expected more "push" from cars of this calibre. Maybe their real purpose is high speed, above the street and highway driving I did. My NSX was as good (damn!). Next I have to try a BMW M Roadster and see if it's power delivery is what I'm looking for.

My biggest surprise of the day came when I got back into my everyday '99 New Beetle Turbo (with Garrett chip). I pulled out onto the road and exclaimed, "My God, this car feels FAST!" Maybe it's the lighter weight, the chip, and power delivery characteristics with more low to midrange torque, but in comparison to the Porsches I drove, it felt like it wanted to go. Made me feel good.

Back to NSX's, I felt after my test drives that except for the 996 (where they're about equal), NSX's have it all over the Porsche's in terms of what I think it takes to be a fun driving car in the type of driving I do most. Maybe one is a little better than the other on the track but so what? The 996 is more versatile -- I could fit my two kids in the back and take the whole family to a Porsche club event. The NSX driving position with its Panoramic view of the road is just the best. It's a real sports car. I really screwed up when I sold mine.

Now my question is what does a 97+ NSX feel like with it's 6-speed and more power? Do NSX-T's have the chassis and cowl shake like the Boxsters (it wasn't a lot of shake but noticeable)? That would drive me nuts.

Back