• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A/C Condenser Motor Replacement

I need to replace one of my condenser fan motors. Since removing the condenser requires removing the front bumper as well as messing with the refrigerant, I would like to know if it is possible to replace the motor while leaving the condenser in place.

I can access most of the shroud by removing the fender liner, but several of the bolts that hold the shroud (as well as the nuts on the other end) appear to be blocked.

Any ideas or would I be better off letting the shop take care of?

TIA!

Attachments

• condenser.jpg
    condenser.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 320
Ian, Thank you very much for the reply.

You know... After I posted, I tried a few things and came to the same conclusion, so I started removing the bumper to see what I can do from the front. However, when I was under the car I realized I can at least see 3 of the 4 bolts and nuts. So, I removed the bracket that holds up the condenser. The 4th bolt was behind the bracket and removing the bracket allowed me to wiggle the condenser around enough to remove all the bolts. I put a jack stand under the condenser to keep load off the lines.

It took me about 15 minutes to unclip the shroud from the duct, but once I did, there was enough room to drop the old motor and fan out and put the new one in.

Everything goes back in reverse order, although it was somewhat tricky getting the spacers to stay where they were supposed to.

So, now both my fans work which means I can stay nice and cool in stop-and-go traffic! :) Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Ojas .. you're amazing! I don't have a lift and didn't try jacking up the front end to see if I could get at it from underneath like you obviously did... or did you do some of this with just the wheel liner out? Also am I right in concluding from your note that (a) although you may have started to remove the bumper, it isn't really necessary to do any of that, and (b) you got the shroud and fan out without undoing the a/c lines? And last question .. what did you pay for a new fan .. I was quoted something like $330 Canadian which is probably about $250 US.
Tks for sharing

NSX2398 said:
I don't have a lift and didn't try jacking up the front end to see if I could get at it from underneath like you obviously did... or did you do some of this with just the wheel liner out?
I spotted some of the bolts with the liner out, but needed to put the front on jackstands to spot the nuts and have enough work room.
NSX2398 said:
Also am I right in concluding from your note that (a) although you may have started to remove the bumper, it isn't really necessary to do any of that
That is correct: It is not necessary to remove the bumper or complete any steps involved its removal.
NSX2398 said:
and (b) you got the shroud and fan out without undoing the a/c lines?
That is correct, as well.

So, here are the items I removed:
  1. Front wheel
  2. Front part of the fender liner (only enough to access the condenser; I left the rear half of the liner in place).
  3. The bracket that holds up the condenser (I think there were 2 bolts and 1 nut to the condenser and 4 bolts to the rest of the car). Again, make sure to use something to support the condenser once you remove the bracket. Otherwise, the A/C lines would be the only thing holding it in place.
  4. Chin spoiler (to make it easier to get to some bolts)
NSX2398 said:
And last question .. what did you pay for a new fan .. I was quoted something like $330 Canadian which is probably about $250 US.
If I'm not mistaken, retail price is about $225. NSXCA discount will drop the price to about $160. I bought a pair of used ones, but only needed one. If you’re interested, you are welcome to buy my spare one. Just PM me and we’ll work out the details.

Good luck - Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Ojas .. tks very much. I'm interested in your spare condensor motor but I can't figure out how to PM you with all the changes to Prime. If you can figure out how to PM me, pls let me know how much you want for it and some history on it (like what year it came out of)

Ojas said:
So, I removed the bracket that holds up the condenser. The 4th bolt was behind the bracket and removing the bracket allowed me to wiggle the condenser around enough to remove all the bolts.
For anyone who finds this thread in the future and decides to do it themselves, I'd like to emphasize the importance of Ojas' first sentence. I tried the installation this past weekend and even after re-reading his guidance, I missed this crucial piece. I think it's because the diagram at the start of the thread doesn't show the L-shaped 'bracket' and how it attaches to the condensor. You might even conclude (as I did) that the support wasn't even removable because the bolts are hidden high up in the fender.

My tks again to Ojas for the clarification (mid install) which allowed me to finish the project and also for coming up with this technique in the first place.

Note to the HSC designers .. this would be so much easier to service if the 4 legs of the plastic shroud that holds the fan would just attach to the back of the condensor shroud with 4 screws so that you could remove/replace from the wheel well without even touching the condensor.

Back