• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A friendly reminder if you have an intake scoop

So my Sunday project was to go ahead and service my K&N panel air filter.

Per tmbromley's records, the air filter was last serviced at 46,000 miles. Yesterday I hit 50,000 miles.

I'm not sure if the tech really did it, because when I got in there, the filter was literally black with chunks (yes, chunks) of crud, leaves and twigs. The filter was noticeably lighter after a thorough cleaning and re-oiling. I cleaned the TB while I was in there as well.

The car is noticeably more responsive now.

A couple of other NSXers I spoke with mentioned that their filters dirtied up pretty quick with the scoop as well.

So, get in there and clean your filters!

Last edited:
So my Sunday project was to go ahead and service my K&N panel air filter.

Per tmbromley's records, the air filter was last serviced at 46,000 miles. Yesterday I hit 50,000 miles.

I'm not sure if the tech really did it, because when I got in there, the filter was literally black with chunks (yes, chunks) of crud, leaves and twigs. The filter was noticeably lighter after a thorough cleaning and re-oiling. I cleaned the TB while I was in there as well.

The car is noticeably more responsive now.

A couple of other NSXers I spoke with mentioned that their filters dirtied up pretty quick with the scoop as well.

So, get in there and clean your filters!

Good rule of thumb. Clean it with every oil change.

new2club:

I have a K&N filter currently and used their "recharging" kit, which consists of a cleaning solution and an oil that is sprayed onto the cotton element after it's been cleaned, rinsed with water, and allowed to dry.

use the oil sparingly.

I personally don't recommend using the oil. The oil gets into the throttle body and clogs the idle air control valve causing idle issues. Best thing to do is clean the filter regularly and clean the TB also. The oil gets all in the manifold and dirt sticks to it. If you must use oil use hardly any. When I got my car it was having idling problems and I opened the airbox and there was a puddle of oil under the filter

The problem with the K&N is that the oil is the filtering medium. If you think of the filter fabric as a web, the oil fills in the holes and as particles pass through, they get stuck in the oil. If you don't use the oil, you will be losing most of the filtering capacity and letting relatively dirty air into your engine.

I say just throw in a paper OEM filter. It filters great and does not rob any power. It was good enough for supercharged NSX race cars, it will be good enough for you.

what's a good way to clean them? aslo the tb just with carb cleaner?

There is actually a specific TB cleaner if you look for it. There is a coating on the throttle plate on some (all?) TB's and carb/brake cleaner can remove it which would cause a gap when the throttle plate is closed. Some carb cleaners that say TB safe are fine to use.

This is all recycled info btw. I've never actually seen a damaged TB from carb cleaner, but I also am a sucker and just by the TB specific cleaner...

The oil isn't the filtering medium.
It's there to repell any water that may be injested into the intake tract and catch microscopic dust, (very easy with the intake scoup if you drive in the rain) so it doesn't get injested in quantity and cause misfiring or possibly damage if taken in, in large quantity.
As before, "use the oil sparingly" it will clog the orfices and passages of the throttle body.

Cheers
nigel

I say just throw in a paper OEM filter. It filters great and does not rob any power. It was good enough for supercharged NSX race cars, it will be good enough for you.

+1 Nothing beats a clean paper filter...in my book.

Back