• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A question about wheel hubs.

When I disassembled my brake shields I inspected my hubs. When loose I felt that they where a bit sluggish. No problems to spin them manually but they stopped immediately. I heard a sound from them as well, low but like from a dry bearing. Exactly the same feel and sound from both sides.
When mounted with brake disk and wheel the hub keeps on turning a couple of laps before stopping and actually feels lighter then on most cars I worked with.
Is this normal? How does your hubs feel and sound? Have any of you heard of problems with hubs on NSX?

Hi Klas,

I see you have been very busy :). I think the hubs are fine. The bearings will have a little residual friction.

In regard to your piston boots, they are old and damaged from heat/water/ and probably the "screwdriver" you describe! I am thinking the rust you saw was on the outer part of the piston, just below the groove, but not behind the actual caliper seal inside.

With the boot looking like that, I would suspect water would get in but not go past the actual brake seals. I would check and rebuild the calipers as required. If you can clean the piston up easily, as you describe, I think they will be fine.

In regard to the "splash" sheild removal, I have done the same, and you REALLY need the new boots now:).

HTH,
LarryB

Back