• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A vs An

From what i recall in school:

"a" is used for words starting with non vowels (e.g. a pumpkin, a bike, etc.) and "an" is used for words that start with a vowel (e.g. an apple, an orange, etc.).

However, NSX is not a word; it is an acronym as stated above. When we use letters in sentence form (e.g. his name starts with an "L" or his name starts with a "B") we use whatever the letter would seem to be spelled out with (e.g. eL, Bee, aR, etc.); in this case, as stated above, an NSX is correct (eN eS eX).

But i'm no English major!!! :tongue:

I don't believe this thread was started :rolleyes: :tongue:

wow....now I'm really glad I'm going into Marine Biology! I dont think the sharks are going to car whether I say "A NSX" or "An NSX"

ediddynsx said:
I don't believe this thread was started :rolleyes: :tongue:
You forgot to put a period at the end of your sentence.

This thread is exactly why this is my favorite web/forum site. The calibur and intelect of the members is so exceptional. Look at the length of this thread based on a grammer question...

Lady Six said:
This is a not so serious thread about an almost unoticable enigma.
Do you say:
"A NSX" or "An NSX"
"A" sounds almost contrived, while "An" rolls off the tounge smoother BUT is gramaticaly incorrect.
Anyways...just a thought.

I don't think it matters cuz when you say it either way, sounds the same :)

FrEsHaZzBuRu said:
However, NSX is not a word; it is an acronym as stated above.

"NSX" might have started life as an acronym when the car was still in the development stages but once Honda officially released the car, NSX now qualifies as a proper noun as it is officially the name of the car..

Definition: "A proper noun represents the name of a specific person, place, or thing"

The correct plural would be "NSXes"

Definition:Nouns with these letters at the end call for an "es" in the plural form. This added syllable makes pronunciation easier."

"an NSX" is correct as earlier pointed out because of the soft sound of the word.

Juice said:
No, not at all. I grew up with word perfect, so spell check was my best friend. My mother was in college while I was in High School. I checked the grammer on her papers for her. And I cheated my way through all of my spelling tests. Our spelling books came with all of the tests in the back of the work book, so I copied them at the beginning of the year before we handed them in. I memorized over 200 sequences of A) B) C) D) in order to get an A+ on my tests. In the amount of time I spent memorizing those sequences, I could have learned the dictionary. Too smart for my own good. :tongue:

Your mother was in college while you were in high school? :eek:

I"m guessing that means she went back to college later in life? My initial reaction to your statement was complete shock :)

byang said:
I'll toss my opinion into the ring... I believe that in pluralizing NSX, it should be NSXs without the apostrophe. The apostrophe is only used on proper nouns that end in 's' (e.g. Lexus's)

OK...I noticed the word 'Lexus' in this post, and then started wondering....Since the plural of cactus is cacti, wouldn't the plural of Lexus be Lexi? :tongue:

who gives a rats a$$!:mad:(headache) :tongue:

rules are made to be broken. besides, who notices these things when people ask about your car? (unless your a major english freak w/ too much time on your hands)

when they ask: "what do you drive"?

"NSX", "an NSX", "A NSX" "the NSX" "NS muthaf***en X"

as long as they understand.:smile:

smoothf1 said:
We are all so nerdy...:biggrin:
images.jpg

sigates.jpg

Who said english is a simple language?

How do you pronounce GHOTI ?

Scroll

Scroll

Scroll

FISH!!!

GH as in enough

O as in women

TI as in nation

FISH!

The one that always bugs me is what to capitalize? Is english a word that should be capitalized?

Zap

Back