• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura can't duplicate key

I need some help on how to get a replacement key for my 2000 NSX. Here's the story. I Went to the dealership to get a duplicate because I lost one of the keys. They take my money $$ to order a blank. Two days later the key arrive and I go to pick it up. To my amazement they want another $120 for programming when I was told by the parts guy $60 total before. That's $180 total for the key and programming. I'm pissed, but agree just to get the hell out of there. While waiting in the lobby I hear them reving my car and quickly go outside to look. Seems like the techs were just having fun (I wasn't happy :mad:). Then a hour later the service guy come to me and says they can't program the key to the imbolizer, because they need the red key.... :confused: What the fxxxx... I don't have the red key because I bought my car used. Now, I'm stuck with a key that doesn't work. Any ideas, you guys have been very helpful here. Thanks.

Find another acura or honda dealership and see what they can do. If it works out send them a copy of your reciept in a thank you card

return the key, it shouldn't cost 120 for one. Hell, the new switchblade keys cost less, only 55 dollars :eek: GO to a local locksmith and see if they can do it, I'll call up the dude who does the stuff for my dealer to see what tips he can offer

I need some help on how to get a replacement key for my 2000 NSX. Here's the story. I Went to the dealership to get a duplicate because I lost one of the keys. They take my money $$ to order a blank. Two days later the key arrive and I go to pick it up. To my amazement they want another $120 for programming when I was told by the parts guy $60 total before. That's $180 total for the key and programming. I'm pissed, but agree just to get the hell out of there. While waiting in the lobby I hear them reving my car and quickly go outside to look. Seems like the techs were just having fun (I wasn't happy :mad:). Then a hour later the service guy come to me and says they can't program the key to the imbolizer, because they need the red key.... :confused: What the fxxxx... I don't have the red key because I bought my car used. Now, I'm stuck with a key that doesn't work. Any ideas, you guys have been very helpful here. Thanks.

Never go to the dealership for things...

Stephen

i am almost in the same boat. i only have one black "cheap" key for 97, and i would like to have a titanium key.

I SEARCHED THE PRIME.
"1997+ NSX Keys
The '97+ keys have a chip embedded in them that is part of the antitheft system, and the fancy nickel alloy key is not available with this chip. Cheap duplicates from a hardware store won't work to start the car. You can use cheap ILCO blanks to unlock the car but you will need the special Acura key with a properly programmed chip to start it."

Last edited:
My story was the same like yours. I bought the used car and had only one key, went to a dealer and gave them the other key ( not the red key). They did a perfect job for small amount of money ( don't remeber how much), but for sure not $120. I would return the key and get the money back. If not, I would talk to the manager. I would be rather angry to pay $120 for something that does not work. Remember - Customer satisfaction

Demand a full refund!

On a related note, I have a new uncut titanium/monel key and want to get it cut for my car. Does the Acura dealer typically use the VIN to look up how to cut it or do they just duplicate your existing key using a tracing-type machine? I don't want them messing up my new metal key.

Last edited:
My story was the same like yours. I bought the used car and had only one key, went to a dealer and gave them the other key ( not the red key). They did a perfect job for small amount of money ( don't remeber how much), but for sure not $120. I would return the key and get the money back. If not, I would talk to the manager. I would be rather angry to pay $120 for something that does not work. Remember - Customer satisfaction

It was a total of $180 (60 key + 120 programming) and they still were not able to do it. Are you saying that your Acura dealer was able to program a new key without that special red key? My local dealer said it could not be done and they would have to replace the immobilizer which would cost $1050, just so I can have 2 keys again. Sounds like a ripoff.... or they don't know what they're talking about.

return the key, it shouldn't cost 120 for one. Hell, the new switchblade keys cost less, only 55 dollars :eek: GO to a local locksmith and see if they can do it, I'll call up the dude who does the stuff for my dealer to see what tips he can offer

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My dealer says they would have to replace the immobilizer unit if I did't have the red key. Since according to them, new keys can't be made without the red key. Cost was going to be $1050 for new immobilizer, I just left after that. :mad:

i am almost in the same boat. i only have one black "cheap" key for 97, and i would like to have a titanium key.

I SEARCHED THE PRIME.
"1997+ NSX Keys
The '97+ keys have a chip embedded in them that is part of the antitheft system, and the fancy nickel alloy key is not available with this chip. Cheap duplicates from a hardware store won't work to start the car. You can use cheap ILCO blanks to unlock the car but you will need the special Acura key with a properly programmed chip to start it."

Let me know if you do get a key programmed. I only have one key now also and Acura can't get a new one programmed. I thought they could cut and program a new car just from the VIN numbers? Apparently my dealership couldn't, evnthough I still have one good key.

Demand a full refund!

On a related note, I have a new uncut titanium/monel key and want to get it cut for my car. Does the Acura dealer typically use the VIN to look up how to cut it or do they just duplicate your existing key using a tracing-type machine? I don't want them messing up my new metal key.

My Acura dealershyip doesn't have a duplicate key tracer machine thing. They had to look up the VIN and get a number and put the number into a little key machine, set the key in and press it. The machine that my dealer had does not look like it'll harm your key =]

Acura has two ways to program your key and that (using the car) is the hard way. PM me and i will tell you the better way. (and you will be amazed at how cheap this way is in comparison)

My dealership doesn't seem to care about customer satisfaction. They wouldn't offer a refund, because according to them the key is already cut to fit my car and they're sorry that they can't program it because I don't have the red key...

My dealership doesn't seem to care about customer satisfaction. They wouldn't offer a refund, because according to them the key is already cut to fit my car and they're sorry that they can't program it because I don't have the red key...

WTF!!!!! file a creditcard chargeback if you can.
who the hell cannot make a dupcaite crap to open the door without starting the engine? you paid 120 for that ?

They are ripping you off big time. I would talk to the service manager or the general manager about this. They should know what is needed before they try and cut a key.

Same thing happened to my Toyota , they looked up the VIN and after 2 attempts they could only get a key that would work the door. He apologized and let me keep the key for no charge. I still have only one ignition key.:frown: for that car.

Sounds like they are trying to get you to spend more money with them to get your car to work again. I would stop going there and just go to another dealer and of course try to get your money back.

Where the hell is this dealer? the key would cost them maybe a couple of dollars and if it is cut to fit the car , I can go to home depot to dup the key to fit it for $3, not for $120, BUT CANNOT START THE ENGINE. What use would it do?

Where the hell is this dealer? the key would cost them maybe a couple of dollars and if it is cut to fit the car , I can go to home depot to dup the key to fit it for $3, not for $120, BUT CANNOT START THE ENGINE. What use would it do?

Stockton Acura. I had problems dealing with them also when I went in have some work done on my MDX.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

The place above sells chipped keys for $25. These are ones that WILL start your engine. I know first hand that it will work in a 2000 Accord.

Also, since I'm whoring this picture (which doesn't even belong to me) all over this forum here it is again (second time in three days :smile: ):

3079977_9.jpg

Last edited:
red key? When I bought mine (1991) i got 2 black plastic keys, i know about the titanium key, is the red one for newer model years?

Demand a full refund!

Send it to me, I'll cut it for you.

People are hard pressed to find anyone to cut them, because the titanium dulls the cutting blade on the duplicators. Here, I have a punch cutter that I've been using for almost 15 years to cut Acura keys, and I think I'm the only person that still knows how to use it here ;)

Toss me an email to [email protected] for the details on how to get it here, what to include, etc. I'll do it up for you, on the house.

red key? When I bought mine (1991) i got 2 black plastic keys, i know about the titanium key, is the red one for newer model years?

The red key is the immobilizer key, that you use to program the system with. NEVER try to start the vehicle with the red key, or you've just wiped some pricey electronics.

This was the first generation of the RFID chip immobilizers that first debuted in the RL back in '96.

Back