• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura can't duplicate key

My 1st NSX was a 2000 and I only received one black key when I bought it. I took the black key to the local dealership and they took it, inserted it into the key programmer, read the code, inserted the new black key, programmed it, and it worked perfectly.

I believe the red key is the Valet key (i.e. does not open the trunk or glove compartment.)

Never go to the dealership for things...
I'm sorry but that is just an uneducated thing to say. To group all dealerships together because he had a bad experience at one isn't fair. There are tons of dealerships out there that are wonderful to customer and a pleasure to buy from.
That is like if someone said 'Don't talk to an owner of an NSX because they are all jerks'.....
some are and some aren't but you wouldn't want to be called one just because you have one right?

drtroung said:
the key would cost them maybe a couple of dollars and if it is cut to fit the car , I can go to home depot to dup the key to fit it for $3, not for $120, BUT CANNOT START THE ENGINE. What use would it do?
I assure you that PATS(passive anti theft system) keys cost more than a couple of dollars as you suggest. I promise you that.
Yes, you can go get a plain non PATS key cut at HD but you are right that is won't start the vehicle. What good is that you say? How about being able to use a wire tie or something to attach the key to the car in case you lock yourself out. Wouldn't you want to be able to buy a cheap key and do that rather than a $$$ key for just that purpose?

While they DO have a valid point that they key is useless to them now that it is cut to YOUR car, they are the ones that did it and should refund you the money. If they wanted to keep you as a customer, they should do that AND give you the key. You can use it in the manner I described above.
Best of luck with it.
FYI, for FMC products, a PATS key is $48 and programming can cost ~$125.

Last edited:
I think the OP really wants to know if can have a key made that will open the doors and start the car without the Red key, (which he doesn't have).

My 97 NSX was short a key when I bought it. So I went to McDavid Acura in Austin. I bought a new key (maybe $50?). They cut the new key as you'd expect. They brought out a machine about the size of a typewriter, put the old key and the new key in it, and programmed the new key. They did this in the parts department and did not charge extra for programming.

The OP is getting ripped off every which way.

I don't understand the 97+ NSX key system. It's too easy to lose the red key and then what?

Some car companies make a supply of master keys when the car is made and that is all the keys ever available. You can only get a new key from the factory.

Last edited:
I need some help on how to get a replacement key for my 2000 NSX. Here's the story. I Went to the dealership to get a duplicate because I lost one of the keys. They take my money $$ to order a blank. Two days later the key arrive and I go to pick it up. To my amazement they want another $120 for programming when I was told by the parts guy $60 total before. That's $180 total for the key and programming. I'm pissed, but agree just to get the hell out of there. While waiting in the lobby I hear them reving my car and quickly go outside to look. Seems like the techs were just having fun (I wasn't happy :mad:). Then a hour later the service guy come to me and says they can't program the key to the imbolizer, because they need the red key.... :confused: What the fxxxx... I don't have the red key because I bought my car used. Now, I'm stuck with a key that doesn't work. Any ideas, you guys have been very helpful here. Thanks.

Please post the dealership name.

:mad:

Greetings

My wife lost her key to our LS400 several years ago. It had a smart chip inside. It cost something like $1500 to get 2 keys that would remote unlock the car and start it again. It also took a weeks time. Not pleasant.

Cheers,
Martin

there are many independant locksmiths who can duplicate your key(without the car , they actually read the info in the key and copy it) , I've had it done for a 99 nsx , $80 , you just need to call around and ask.

Same boat to start with, the dealer here in Knoxville couldn't program an NSX blank. Turns out if they use one of the Legend blanks then they can make a copy and it works fine. I'm not sure which one he used but I'll try and call them and post later.

This is a picture of the key, it's looks exactly like my original but it has T5 stamped across the top, hope this helps.

Attachments

• HPIM0358.jpg
    HPIM0358.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 174
After reading through this thread, I am glad that I have a '94. There is nothing fancy about the key and I got a free wallet card key from AAA.

spoke to my buddy and he said that honda/acura should be able to reprogram it by hooking it up to the OBDII port, but they will need to reprogram all the keys. Also he said that it might be able to be added via HDS, but he was unsure of it.

I didn't have to do any of that, just took the original key (black) and put it in the reader, then put in the blank to program it, then cut if from the VIN with the little punch machine. I didn't even have my car there, made 2 copies and a valet key (grey).

I was in the same boat. The dealer was WORTHLESS for getting me a new key. I too got a T5 key and was able to get another without the red key. Check around. It can be done. Some dealers probably have never had to deal with this problem.

They gave me the same run around story that you got. No red key, no duplicate. They said I need to buy a new immobilizer for like seven or eight hundred dollars.

I was in the same boat. The dealer was WORTHLESS for getting me a new key. I too got a T5 key and was able to get another without the red key. Check around. It can be done. Some dealers probably have never had to deal with this problem.

They gave me the same run around story that you got. No red key, no duplicate. They said I need to buy a new immobilizer for like seven or eight hundred dollars.

Some of them are the stealerships. It makes bad names for all dealers.

Early NSX keys:

35113-SLO-A01 Key, Blank Plastice Main $15.00 Still stocked
35113=SLO-A11 Key, Blank Metal (MAIN)(NSX) $110.50 Still current stock

Later NSX keys with chip.
With the VIN of the car, Acura Dealers can cut and program the key. A check-sum code is generated with the VIN, and most locksmiths can cut and program the key with that code. Dealerships will give you the code with proof of ownership. (registration)

Back