• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura NSX NA2 vs Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06

You can make a turd go 8 secs in a quarter mile. But not everyone wants to buy a turd. Basically, you can make anything go fast. But not everyone is going to like what you like.

What's your point? For years people have had to spend $200k to 300k to buy a fast, well handling exotic sports car, how many other stock from the factory sports cars do you know that stepped up to the plate and perform as well as any of those exotics for a mere $66K (2006)? None! You aren't going to find a brand new well built, great handling, 100k mile warrantied sports car that can give you all the performance of those exotics for the price of the Z06.

I want to re-phrase my earlier statement which a poster (MCM) pointed out was poorly written, sorry!
The Z06 is the first sports car in history to offer (at a reasonable price) the kind of performance that has only been available to a few of the more privileged in the past. When reading car magazines over the years, many could only dream of driving a sports car that could hit 0 to 60mph in 3 1/2 seconds and have a top speed of 200mph. Granted few can find a place to go that fast, but it's incredible that an average sports car enthusiast could even own such a car now! That's what I meant to say. :wink:

Don't talk about a kit car or a turd or something someone built in their garage performing like a Z06, they aren't a Z06 and that's not what the original poster's question revolved around.

It was stated in an earlier post that for $15k or $20k you can modify a NSX to keep up with a Z06, doubtful but even if you could, then what do you have? A used car with no warranty that probably has a much greater chance of blowing up, even if it is a Honda. If the poster wants a performance car which is obviously one of his considerations, then forget the NSX and buy the Z06! If he's willing to take "far less" performance and wants fit and finish, go for the NSX, he doesn't need to hear all the BS about the Z06 being a track car only or some kind of street car dragster, anybody that spouts that is ignorant and knows very little about the facts!

EFE Z06

Last edited:
A C6 ZO6 is a incredible performer in the right hands, the hands of a skilled professional. For the rest of the world's drivers its about bragging rights and I believe if they take it to a road track they will be humbled by many "lesser" cars. IMO it is a seriously unbalanced car that at 6/10ths and up-wards will overwhelm all but most skilled, experienced drivers and even they will have their hands full.
I believe that the base C6 is better balanced and more fun to drive, especially when driving fast. I suspect that on a road course I would turn a better time in base C6 than a ZO6 and that it would take me many years of driving events before I could accomplish more with a ZO6 and not lose control. It's hairy.
A car that in the hands of professional drivers doing magazine road test may post wicked numbers and secure bragging rights but it does not tell the whole story. There is a difference between being a great value and a great car.
You need to drive some of the cars that the numbers put it in the league of and you will see that it just is not.
As I have said,I have driven a C6 ZO6 and I did not enjoy it enough to buy one. I really did not enjoy it at all. I can afford to own one, more than one if I wanted but I just did not like the feel.
I would rather spend more and get a better car regardless of the numbers in magazines. I'd take a 911, a 355. a Cayman or a NSX over a C6 or a C6 ZO6. No magazine or statistic can change the way a car feels to me when I drive it. I stayed away from the NSX because of what the magazines said but I drove one and traded in my C4 Vette on one. What I feel at the wheel of a C5 or C6 or a C6 ZO6 since has still not inspired me to switch back. I love the C6 ZO6 in print, it's the driving part I don't like. Sorry.

A C6 ZO6 is a incredible performer in the right hands, the hands of a skilled professional. For the rest of the world's drivers its about bragging rights and I believe if they take it to a road track they will be humbled by many "lesser" cars. IMO it is a seriously unbalanced car that at 6/10ths and up-wards will overwhelm all but most skilled, experienced drivers and even they will have their hands full.
I believe that the base C6 is better balanced and more fun to drive, especially when driving fast. I suspect that on a road course I would turn a better time in base C6 than a ZO6 and that it would take me many years of driving events before I could accomplish more with a ZO6 and not lose control. It's hairy.
A car that in the hands of professional drivers doing magazine road test may post wicked numbers and secure bragging rights but it does not tell the whole story. There is a difference between being a great value and a great car.
You need to drive some of the cars that the numbers put it in the league of and you will see that it just is not.
As I have said,I have driven a C6 ZO6 and I did not enjoy it enough to buy one. I really did not enjoy it at all. I can afford to own one, more than one if I wanted but I just did not like the feel.
I would rather spend more and get a better car regardless of the numbers in magazines. I'd take a 911, a 355. a Cayman or a NSX over a C6 or a C6 ZO6. No magazine or statistic can change the way a car feels to me when I drive it. I stayed away from the NSX because of what the magazines said but I drove one and traded in my C4 Vette on one. What I feel at the wheel of a C5 or C6 or a C6 ZO6 since has still not inspired me to switch back. I love the C6 ZO6 in print, it's the driving part I don't like. Sorry.

Nicely said!!! Z06 is definitely a great performer and it's to much to handle for an average person to drive it. Not everyone is out there for numbers on paper, some buy cars for pure enjoyment of the car!!

Honestly, I would rather have a f355 over a Z06 anyday!!:tongue: I know that the Z06 would kill and murder the F355 but having a fast car is just half of the fun, when you can't drive like they can in the magazines!!!:biggrin:

I could give a ton of reasons why thousands of sports car owners wouldn't and didn't buy a NSX while it was out!

Reason #1: Buying a sports car based on magazine stats.

Heck, if people in the USA bought sports cars based on "Best Motoring" videos from Japan... the NSX would outsell all other cars. It outruns all the Ferrari's, Lambo's, CSL's, Porsche's, etc. in all those vids. Unfortunately Motor Trend and C&D see it differently. LOL

Reason #1: Buying a sports car based on magazine stats.

Magazine stats???????

Hardly!!!

Oh please, if the results of every test and track time around the world isn't enough to prove how incredible this car performs, I guess nothing will make a NSX owner believe!

I have no doubt the NSX might have been and still may be the best Japanese sports car out of Japan, but it ain't up to performance standards with the rest of the world and that's why it died! The new model coming soon may very well get it back in the game, but you guys got to get over your pretty but under powered Asian cruiser, it's history!

Bombs away!

:biggrin:

EFE Z06

Magazine stats???????

Hardly!!!

but you guys got to get over your pretty but under powered Asian cruiser, it's history!

Bombs away!

EFE Z06

This is a forum for NSX enthusiasts. If you are a Corvette enthusist, perhaps that is where you should be posting.

Nicely said!!! Z06 is definitely a great performer and it's too much to handle for an average person to drive it.

Yep we agree on that! :eek: You better stay with a easy and fun to drive NSX, the Z06 is in a league with a few ultra super performance cars that few can appreciate or know how to drive. :biggrin: :wink: CGT, Enzo and a couple of others come to mind when I think of this league! :biggrin: :tongue:

We agree, we absolutely agree!

Thanks,

EFE Z06

I think everyone has understood your point your a Corvette enthusiast (and you have every right to be) and now it is time for you to post in those forums - please go away.

This is a forum for NSX enthusiasts. If you are a Corvette enthusiast, perhaps that is where you should be posting.

This is too much fun and besides, I'm sure the original poster wanted an honest and fair opinion of the car in question here. Now, do you think most (but not all) of you Prime members would really be able to give him all the facts and figures regarding a Z06?

I think not!

:wink:

EFE Z06

PS:
And just maybe the thread starter might take our earlier advice and drive both cars, but don't be surprised or sad if he chooses performance over a pretty interior???:wink:

Magazine stats???????

Hardly!!!

Oh please, if the results of every test and track time around the world isn't enough to prove how incredible this car performs, I guess nothing will make a NSX owner believe!

I have no doubt the NSX might have been and still may be the best Japanese sports car out of Japan, but it ain't up to performance standards with the rest of the world and that's why it died! The new model coming soon may very well get it back in the game, but you guys got to get over your pretty but under powered Asian cruiser, it's history!

Bombs away!

EFE Z06

First, I think we have acknowledged that the ZO6 performs incredibly in all capacities and outperforms 99% of all NSXs on the road. However, the performance the ZO6 is capable of can be achieved by only the top 1% of all drivers of the car because of its touchy nature. Therefore, to a large degree, the magazines are the only place you're going to see those incredible performance numbers because you and I probably don't even know anyone skilled enough to extract that kind of performance from the car.

Second, I think we have established that although the ZO6 might be the best car ever produced by GM it is still vastly inferior in terms of quality and reliability to the NSX and just about every other Japanese car made today. IMO this is not debatable and to argue against it is foolish. For every piece of data suggesting GM is as reliable as a Lexus there are 100 more showing the opposite. Pick a different battle.

Third, we have pointed out that although the NSX MSRP was actually higher than the ZO6 the NSX holds its value better, costs less money to maintain over its lifespan and is a much less common automobile. Obviously everyone on Prime thinks the NSX is better looking than any Corvette ever made and that is opinion and cannot be challenged. The average person on the street might think the opposite but do not forget where you are posting this stuff--NSX land. Also, FWIW, I have not seen anyone disagree with the fact that the ZO6 has more and better amenities than the NSX. In fact, most have agreed the ZO6 has an excellent amenities package in comparison to even much higher priced cars.

Fourth, we have heard from many, many Prime members who have basically said outright that they do not own an NSX for its power. We have admitted many times that the NSX could be considered underpowered. But again, most of us are more than happy with the power of the NSX. The balance, ease of use, practicality, infrequent & inexpensive maintenance, looks, feel and refinement of the NSX are what led us to choose this car. Power is just one of the many things that comprise the total package. Raw performance is just less important to some than others. There's always going to be someone faster and cheaper. That's a good lesson for ZO6 owners.

Fifth, for those who want the performance, there are myriad options for the NSX that allow us to improve and update the car ourselves. As I pointed out, a CTSC NSX-R clone will be in the ZO6's league and can be built from a 2002 NSX for less than $75K including the car. A stock 2002 NSX-R is an extremely fast car that handles just as good or better than the C6 ZO6 using essentially 12 year old technology.

Sixth, well, comparing the NSX and ZO6 is utterly ridiculous. :rolleyes: The two cars could not be more dissimilar in philosophy. If you want bang for the buck you can build a kit car for $30K and be much faster than a ZO6. But the reality is that no one who would consider a ZO6 would consider a kit car because of their different philosophies. The NSX and ZO6 might as well be the Pagani Zonda and the Ariel Atom. Similar performance, different philosophy. The Atom is faster than the Zonda. But if you want a windshield, or an exotic look, or A/C, one would choose the Zonda.

That is all;

for the love of all that is right and pure, please end this thread. :rolleyes:

Beatingadeadhorse.gif

"This is the first time in history that Americans or any other people could afford a brand new sports car that gives them the opportunity to drive and own something that only the wealthy were able to experience in the past."

Dude, you have lost it. Read your statement above:confused:

Everyone here has been cool to you & listened to all your points and opinions.
You have been treated with respect & told you have a nice car.
You have converted no one, but have been tolerated by everyone.
How do you think we would fair over at the Corvette forum spouting such dribble? (I am "396 RAT" on that board)
Another little factoid:
Every NSX owner has driven a Corvette.
One out of 100 Vette owners have ever driven an NSX.
Something for you to ponder......................................
Take a minute and really think about what I just wrote.
Even the Vette guys will be looking at you a bit cross eyed after reading all your posts here.
I have many friends that own C6 Vettes. Nice cars, and I am not about to post negatives or my personal thoughts on the car. Why would I bother posting my driving impressions? Every one here can drive one and have their own opinion.

Last edited:
What's your point? For years people have had to spend $200k to 300k to buy a fast, well handling exotic sports car, how many other stock from the factory sports cars do you know that stepped up to the plate and perform as well as any of those exotics for a mere $66K (2006)? None! You aren't going to find a brand new well built, great handling, 100k mile warrantied sports car that can give you all the performance of those exotics for the price of the Z06. This is the first time in history that Americans or any other people could afford a brand new sports car that gives them the opportunity to drive and own something that only the wealthy were able to experience in the past.

Don't talk about a kit car or a turd or something someone built in their garage performing like a Z06, they aren't a Z06 and that's not what the original poster's question revolved around.

It was stated in an earlier post that for $15k or $20k you can modify a NSX to keep up with a Z06, doubtful but even if you could, then what do you have? A used car with no warranty that probably has a much greater chance of blowing up, even if it is a Honda. If the poster wants a performance car which is obviously one of his considerations, then forget the NSX and buy the Z06! If he's willing to take "far less" performance and wants fit and finish, go for the NSX, he doesn't need to hear all the BS about the Z06 being a track car only or some kind of street car dragster, anybody that spouts that is ignorant and knows very little about the facts!

EFE Z06

I'm saying you can make any car or anything go fast. Doesn't mean everyone is going to like what you like. I thought I said that in that post.

Not everyone wants that. Some people will pay more for a better build quality and a slower car over one that is faster and may feel "cheaper".

As for being "far less" performance, that is all relative. Most early model NSX's run in the high 20s, to mid 30s. I'd say the NSX, even for being old and "out of warranty", will keep up with ANY car in it's current price range. A testament to it's already 15 year old life. With how many more years to go?

Not only that but it could still be low maintenance after your brand new vette's warranty is over.

These are two great cars with two totally separate agenda's. And they do what each was built for. You buy the car that you want to fit your needs. I think you know the answer to which is truly the better car by which one is sitting in your own garage. No one spends a ton of cash on something that is the better car... for someone else.

"This is the first time in history that Americans or any other people could afford a brand new sports car that gives them the opportunity to drive and own something that only the wealthy were able to experience in the past."

Dude, you have lost it. Read your statement above:confused:

Everyone here has been cool to you & listened to all your points and opinions.
You have been treated with respect & told you have a nice car.
You have converted no one, but have been tolerated by everyone.
How do you think we would fair over at the Corvette forum spouting such dribble? (I am "396 RAT" on that board)
Another little factoid:
Every NSX owner has driven a Corvette.
One out of 100 Vette owners have ever driven an NSX.
Something for you to ponder......................................
Take a minute and really think about what I just wrote.
Even the Vette guys will be looking at you a bit cross eyed after reading all your posts here.
I have many friends that own C6 Vettes. Nice cars, and I am not about to post negatives or my personal thoughts on the car. Why would I bother posting my driving impressions? Every one here can drive one and have their own opinion.

If you want the honest to God truth. I can count just as many vettes (including Z06) on the road as I use to count Volkswagen bugs as a kid. You can't deny it either. You drive a single day in any city and you can't miss them. You want to know how many NSX's I've seen in my lifetime? One. Yep, One. It was the one that belong to that guy in baton rogue. Forget his name...the one with the with white 02+ body kit. I saw it at a car show he brought it to in Shreveport. I have never seen an NSX on the road or a parking lot before or after that. I've lived in San Antonio, Shreveport (stationed there), New Orleans, and Honolulu. Not small cities to say the least.

I know that the Z06 would kill and murder the F355 but having a fast car is just half of the fun, when you can't drive like they can in the magazines!!!:biggrin:

I saw this woman at Watkins Glen tracking a 355. There were several new ZO6 's and they weren't keeping up with her. SHE could drive.:biggrin:

here. Now, do you think most (but not all) of you Prime members would really be able to give him all the facts and figures regarding a Z06?

Now this is the crux of the matter. Facts and figures. They are what brought me to the C6 and previously what kept me away from the NSX.
I consider them until I drive the car, then I forget them.
I did not consider a NSX because of magazines "fact and figures". I saw a NSX in the show room and still was not interested, not even in a test drive. I relented, drove the car on July 3rd 1999 and bought it July 5th.

The only fact that means squat to me is how I like driving it. NOT what people think of of the car or what people think of me for owning it and certainly not what "facts and figures" say. I will not make that mistake again.

Magazine stats???????

Hardly!!!

Bombs away!

EFE Z06

Would you say the same thing to a '68 Vette owner? How about a '91 ZR-1 owner?

You're a chevy fanboy...take your POS Z06 and shove it up your ass. No one here cares that your penis is small and your car is faster. I'm truly happy for you...and I've lost what little respect I had for you at the same time.

You're acting like a 2 year old who can't get his way...throw a louder tantrum before you start crying unconTROLLably.

Again, I love the Z06, but it's douchebags like yourself that mainly keep me away from them...the Z06 grew up but some of their owners haven't.

maybe the thread starter might take our earlier advice and drive both cars, but don't be surprised or sad if he chooses performance over a pretty interior???

I prefer the performance the NSX offers.
You should take a NSX to road course and drive one all out. You may have a different impression. While you're at it drive a Porsche, a Lotus and a 355 too.

From jumping over on the link listed above and reading your comments I'm beginning to think Choppsjazz had you pegged. You seem to be drumming up support to go over and bash the NSX guys. Even some of the folks on that forum are seeing you for what you are.

Every now and then we get someone who comes along and wants to "educate" us and make sure we understand how they have discovered the holy grail of performance cars and that we are fools. Why can't you just enjoy your car and accept that not everyone else does not feel the same?
Your car has qualities that you enjoy and you want everyone to know that it is the best? OK,be happy, enjoy yourself, but don't be rude or disappointed when we all don't agree.

Last edited:
Hey I am just on Prime, and 6 speed, oh and s2ki.:biggrin:

More pics - NO PROBLEM!!!:wink:

Interesting thread on 6 speed about every owner that has a 996TT and a C6Z06... they all prefer the "slower" and "not as good handling" 996TT. And these guys own both cars so there is no bias and they have plenty of experience with both.

This along with Pbjasso's comment about buying an NSX only after driving one proves my previous point (Pbjasso, i still can't believe you don't like the looks that much??? :confused: :eek:).

Numbers are numbers, the NSX driving experience is unique. Don't choose which car you want based on magazine numbers.

Efe... so sad to see your recent replies. "CGT, Enzo and a couple of others come to mind when I think of this league!" :rolleyes: LOL, are you serious?

To quote a post from CF "the relative lack of steering feel is the one consistent flaw that stands between the Corvette and the all-time greatest driver's cars."

The main attraction for me with the NSX is the feel of the car, the steering is so accurate and precise. I personally value that more than raw hp (I've had cars with 500+rwhp). If one day I feel I want more power, I can always add hp relatively easy compared to steering feel. I like the Z06 a lot (especially having worked on the LS7 engine program) and respect those that have them but it's not the car for me.

man, i can't believe it. there are +200 posts on this thread :biggrin:

all cars are different as well as individual's tastes. if you are lucky and have alot of $$$$ then just buy them all and enjoy them. if you don't just pick one and try it out, if you don't like it then sell it and move on to the next one :wink:

we don't need justify this car vs that car ...ect life is too short just go out and enjoy the drive, because we know that we are the lucky ones :tongue:

Happy Motoring,

Last edited:
(Pbjasso, i still can't believe you don't like the looks that much??? :confused: :eek:).

I didn't man to suggest that. My point was that I wasn't going to buy a NSX until I drove one. I foolishly believed what the magazines had said about it's lack of character, too perfect manners and that it felt like a really great Honda and lacked the "soul" that the famous "badge" cars had to offer. The numbers were all over the place.

The NSX was a big surprise for me and a instant love affair and I still have a ear to ear smile every time I drive it, 9 years later. If a Corvette did that to me I'd buy one and keep this car besides. I honestly wish the ZO6 had. It had monstrous power, great gadgets and cool technology, but I didn't enjoy the driving feel. When it comes to cars, there's something for everyone out there. It was not for me. Nothing personal.

Back