• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Adoption....your views and opinions

It is finally finished..our home study that is.
We are now officially, legally able to adopt a child/children into our home.
Now the real excitment begins !!!:biggrin:

Sweet. I'm ready to be adopted over here.

Miami's backyard looks really nice, but you know... as long as you're willing to pick up my tab on a few misc. motoring expenses I think we can deal today. :biggrin:

Well boys and girls, we got the phone call tonight !!!
We have been chosen for a child we put our homestudy in for!!!
YIPEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Due to various reasons I won't go into further details about it right now but we are thrilled !!!

Thanks for all the PM's and words of encouragement from everyone that took the time to do so.
I truly appreciate !!

Well boys and girls, we got the phone call tonight !!!
We have been chosen for a child we put our homestudy in for!!!
YIPEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Due to various reasons I won't go into further details about it right now but we are thrilled !!!

Thanks for all the PM's and words of encouragement from everyone that took the time to do so.
I truly appreciate !!

congrats on the notification, do let us know when you've got a new family member at home with you!
hal

Congratulations, I hope everything works out, your intentions are well. Few things you may want to think.

1. Keeping the child surname for future reference.
2. Sympathetic towards the culture,religion and beliefs ( I know its up to you how you want to nurture them).
3. Boy or girl all the same.

According to statistical reports vast majority of children who kill their parents are adopted and have been raised in a healthy household. Just an FYI I know most adopted kids don't kill their parents. I may consider adopting in the future as well.

Let us know how it goes. :)

Congratulations!!!! I should have told you a long time ago that I'm available for adoption and I can drive stick shift. :biggrin:

There are few nobler tasks in life than the adoption of a child.
+1

We just adopted 2 wonderful children,ages 14 and 26 months, from Guatemala. In fact we have been home only 3 weeks. We spent a month down there before bringing them home. The entire process from the Home study to walking in the front door with them took 13 months. We were promised 6 months. Be VERY careful when picking an agency. If you ever have any questions, Please feel free to PM me.
Good Luck,
Todd
Congrats, and enjoy the experience!

I think everyone should have to go through the same type of process adoptive parents go through before they have kids. It's quite an experience and also tells you so much about yourself and your character. Writing your own life story as part of the home study REALLY opens up your eyes.
+1

My wife and I have started discussing adoption recently. It sounds really interesting, and I'm sure we would love it. I have a daughter, and my wife is pregnant with our 2nd child, but for the next one, we may go the adoption route.

Kudos to everyone that has adopted a child, there are so many children out there that need parents, and they ALL deserve the best.

There are few nobler tasks in life than the adoption of a child.

I couldn't agree more.

My hat is off to the original poster. Congratulations isn't the right word and I feel odd saying I'm proud since I don't know you but I hope you get the sentiment.

My auntie adopted my cousin as an infant. He and his twin were born addicted to cocaine. His twin did not make it and my cousin's life has been challenging due to the mental, physical and emotional harm done by his biological parents' drug use. But he has become a wonderful man. A productive, loving member of society. And I'm here to tell you that he has given back every bit of love that my Aunt and the family have pored into him ten fold.

Whomever you adopt... I wish you all health, happiness and prosperity. God bless you all.

Well ladies and gentleman we have been matched with a child.
We've had the pleasure of spending a few weekends together so far and things are going very well.
We are very excited about this next chapter in our lives.
Still have a little ways to go before it is final but we are certainly making progress.:biggrin:

Well ladies and gentleman we have been matched with a child.
We've had the pleasure of spending a few weekends together so far and things are going very well.
We are very excited about this next chapter in our lives.
Still have a little ways to go before it is final but we are certainly making progress.:biggrin:
congrats on the progress - and success - thus far!

Well everyone time to give an update.
We are now 44 days into having full time custody. Things have changed in my lifestyle and activites drastically.
I used to spend more time than I would like to admit on here looking to buy things for the car. Somehow now, that just doesn't seem like all that big of a deal.
I used to have SOOO much free time, that is all gone now also. Somehow, I don't miss it.
We are creating a set schedule for our child and in order for him to stick to it, we have to stick to it. Amazing how the little things that didn't mean much in the past have taken on a whole new meaning.
I'm actually now in the process of doing something I never thought I would. Considering trading in my one year old 07 Acura TL Type-S on, get this, a MINIVAN !!!:eek: Then NSX gets to stay though since I have the title in hand.
We have made amazing progress getting this child back up to speed with the rest of his grade level thru intensive homework sessions. We are very excited.
Just had a bombshell dropped on us the other night also. A very close friend of my wife's, whom is now single, is expecting and has asked us if we would be willing to adopt her child upon birth!!!:eek:
Go from having zero kids in December to potentially two in less than a year.
Anyways, we have another month or two and we'll go back to court and make the adoption final. Time is just flying by now.
Thanks for all the support and words of encouragement. The are truly appreciated.

Good stuff bud! It’s great to hear stories such as this. I think what you and your wife are doing is an amazing thing. There are so many kids out there that don’t have a loving, nurturing environment that they definitely deserve.

You obviously are grateful for what you have, and realize the huge impact you will have on this child.

You are so correct in saying that things which mattered before are inconsequential now. You don’t/wont regret losing sleep/free time in order to bond with your child. (The way I see it, you aren’t losing anything, you are only gaining time with your child, which cannot be traded for anything)

Spending time with your child is priceless (for you/wife and child), and you obviously are aware of that, which is excellent.

Where is the RESPECT icon when you need it? You deserve it. Good luck with everything.

P.S. Although you feel that you are lucky to adopt a child, your child is luckier to have caring parents as yourself.

Enjoy...every minute.

Still having fun everyday! Got her from China in March 04, she turns 5 in April.
Today's fun was Swim class and Movie (Horton hears a who). Childhood is too short... I'm going to re-live it through her.:biggrin: :biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_0446.jpg
    IMG_0446.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0461.jpg
    IMG_0461.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Fantastic story and very moving.

For no other reason than curiosity, and forgive me if you already posted this and I looked over it, are the restrictions the main contributors towards what country an adopted child comes from? Friends have told me the process in the states is excruciating [and overly complex/demanding/restrictive].

Two married business friends of mine have adopted children from China and couldn't be happier/more thankful.

For no other reason than curiosity, and forgive me if you already posted this and I looked over it, are the restrictions the main contributors towards what country an adopted child comes from? Friends have told me the process in the states is excruciating [and overly complex/demanding/restrictive].

Was this question for me?

It is now official ladies and gentleman.
The adoption is now legal and done. We are now the proud parents of a wonderful 6yr old little boy.
He has had a tough time traveling from one foster home to the next for most of his life for various reason, behavior being the foremost.
However, we have established love, structure, schedule, consistency and shelter unconditionally for a few months now and he has really made huge strides in turning himself around.
He has had so many 'labels' put on him on his limitations but now everyone involved is shocked at how well he is doing.
Getting him involved in a small classroom with a caring teacher has helped bring him up to speed with the other kids his age.
Also, we have put him in flag football to teach him the fundamentals of teamwork, excersize and health and he is enjoying that quite a bit.
We are very excited about the progress he has made in such a short time and look forward to more of the same in the future.
Thanks for all the well wishes and words of encourgement. They are truly appreciated and helpful.

Congrats God bless.

Well, for those that care and have inquired, here is an update. One year later.
When our son first came to live with us, he had been in several different schools, and come to find out, they didn't do anything for him. When he would act up or not want to do the work, the teachers would just let him go to sleep in a different room from the other kids. It wasn't worth fighting with him to get him to do the work. Therefore, when he came, he could sing the alphabet song but couldn't identify them by looking. He was unable to add up numbers that would equal double digits or more.
Well, he is now reading above his grade level. And with the exception of a handful of spelling tests, he has made 100% on all of them. His report cards have steadily improved. First was 4 A's and 3 B's, then 5 A's and 2 B's and the most recent was straight A's. He has been working real hard, sometimes not really wanting to though.
We are now going into our 3rd season of flag football. The first season his team made it to the city playoffs were they lost in the first round. He was the MVP on defense playing safety. He had the second most number of pulled flags on the team. During his 2nd season, he was an intregal part of a team that recorded a shutout of the other team. That was the 2nd to last game of season and hadn't been done yet by anybody that season. They didn't allow the team a single first down the entire game. He got knocked down a few times and even cried about it but refused to come out of the game as he wanted to 'finish it' !!
We also got involved with cub scouts and have done a few camping trips with them so far. He really enjoys that.
We participated in the pinewood derby car races and made it all the way to the district championships. First time ever doing it and we finished 8th out of 24 competitors. We didn't make it to the regional championships but we did learn a lot in the process and will take that experience and build on it for next year.
All in all, it has been a great year. My lifestyle has changed quite a bit and I find things that used to really take up my time don't seem so important anymore, i.e. the NSX. Strange how having a child makes you life take on a whole new direction. I NEVER thought I would be driving a minivan but I have no problem hoping in our Odyssey and driving it anywhere. And when my Integra got stolen and the wife told me to get whatever car I wanted, even another sports car, I still chose something practical and a 4door. Granted it is a Civic Si:biggrin: but it is a great little car. I was thinking that if/when we have more kids, I won't have to worry about space. I'm very happy with my choice of that car.
So we will just have to see what the coming year brings for us. I'm sure it will be exciting. The wife is already looking at adopting twin 5 yr old girls.:eek:

Well, for those that care and have inquired, here is an update. One year later.
When our son first came to live with us, he had been in several different schools, and come to find out, they didn't do anything for him. When he would act up or not want to do the work, the teachers would just let him go to sleep in a different room from the other kids. It wasn't worth fighting with him to get him to do the work. Therefore, when he came, he could sing the alphabet song but couldn't identify them by looking. He was unable to add up numbers that would equal double digits or more.
Well, he is now reading above his grade level. And with the exception of a handful of spelling tests, he has made 100% on all of them. His report cards have steadily improved. First was 4 A's and 3 B's, then 5 A's and 2 B's and the most recent was straight A's. He has been working real hard, sometimes not really wanting to though.
We are now going into our 3rd season of flag football. The first season his team made it to the city playoffs were they lost in the first round. He was the MVP on defense playing safety. He had the second most number of pulled flags on the team. During his 2nd season, he was an intregal part of a team that recorded a shutout of the other team. That was the 2nd to last game of season and hadn't been done yet by anybody that season. They didn't allow the team a single first down the entire game. He got knocked down a few times and even cried about it but refused to come out of the game as he wanted to 'finish it' !!
We also got involved with cub scouts and have done a few camping trips with them so far. He really enjoys that.
We participated in the pinewood derby car races and made it all the way to the district championships. First time ever doing it and we finished 8th out of 24 competitors. We didn't make it to the regional championships but we did learn a lot in the process and will take that experience and build on it for next year.
All in all, it has been a great year. My lifestyle has changed quite a bit and I find things that used to really take up my time don't seem so important anymore, i.e. the NSX. Strange how having a child makes you life take on a whole new direction. I NEVER thought I would be driving a minivan but I have no problem hoping in our Odyssey and driving it anywhere. And when my Integra got stolen and the wife told me to get whatever car I wanted, even another sports car, I still chose something practical and a 4door. Granted it is a Civic Si:biggrin: but it is a great little car. I was thinking that if/when we have more kids, I won't have to worry about space. I'm very happy with my choice of that car.
So we will just have to see what the coming year brings for us. I'm sure it will be exciting. The wife is already looking at adopting twin 5 yr old girls.:eek:
how cool for your entire family :)

thx for the update and continued enjoyment of life.

Back