• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Adust short term fuel trim - K24A4?

So my 2004 accord w/ K24A4 gets 39mpg highway but 16 mpg city driving on flat ground in a small town with lights and stop signs spaced FAR apart. Yes, this is being VERY gentle on the gas like when I drive my V10 superduty (6.7 mpg city) trying to save fuel.

Everything seems to work as it should. No check engine lights or anything and yes the light does work.

The service adviser at the local honda dealer seems to think it might be fuel trim.

My question is, can the short term fuel trim be adjusted on a completely stock 2004 accord with the K24A4? Is that even possible? I have found zero results online discussing changing fuel trim on this motor unless you have an aftermarket ecu.

Other than this it works just fine. I've got fresh Z1 in the transmission, synthetic 5w20 in the engine, air in the tires, cleaned the throttle body, ran a can of sea foam spray, clean air filter, fresh correct ngk plugs, and regularly run walmart fuel system cleaner or the Lucas fuel system cleaner/top end lube. I only use top tier fuel but 87 octane in different brands and locations.

The only thing I thought it could be was from my short ram intake and sucking in warm engine air. This is what I acheived 16 city/39 highway with. So I swapped in the oem box and filter but the entire fuel economy tanked and highway dropped to 33.

I believe epa rates this car and engine at 24/34

Last edited:
My BMW 325 began getting horroble city mileage, like 16. It was a bad 02 sensor. Changed, went back to 20 city.

16 and 39mpg is really crazy. Almost like someone is stealing gas from you from time to time.

There are two O2 sensors on mine but there is no CEL on. You might be right though and if you are, I hope it's the cheaper one of the two!

But yeah 16/39 is crazy. My V10 superduty was 6.7/16

Another idea is to pull the ECU fuse for 30 seconds. This should re-set the learned fuel settings. However, you run the risk at losing the highway mileage too.

Back