• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Advice/Info on Test Pipes Needed

I'm thinking about test pipes to replace the stock cats on a 1998 NSX that is almost bone stock. I haven't found answers to these two questions using the forum search function:

1) What about the sensor that threads into the back of the stock cat? There is no bung hole on most test pipes, correct? If not, what do I do with the "post-cat" sensor?

2) What will this do to the exhaust sound? I would like it just a bit louder - and everything in the exhaust is stock. Would it be any louder with the test pipes instead of the stock cats, but keeping the stock muffler?

Thanks for any information/advice.

if the test pipes dont have the bungs for the o2 sensor, you need to have them welded on. after this, youll have a CEL. to solve this, youll need to buy a "anti fouler" which is basically an extension. its like $10 or so at pepboys

as far as sound, i have test pipes coming in for my comptech headers and comptech exhaust. ill let you know how loud it is :biggrin:

if the test pipes dont have the bungs for the o2 sensor, you need to have them welded on. after this, youll have a CEL. to solve this, youll need to buy a "anti fouler" which is basically an extension. its like $10 or so at pepboys

as far as sound, i have test pipes coming in for my comptech headers and comptech exhaust. ill let you know how loud it is :biggrin:

Hey, with the test pipes do you have a sound clip? i also have comptech headers and exhaust. i don't whether to go with high flow cats or test pipes.

When I put test pipes on my nsx with comptech exhaust it got considerably louder. Also, Dali racing sells test pipes with o2 sensor bung. That is where I got mine, and I was happy with them.

^^^^^^
i assume you have headers installed?

Don't do test pipes unless you have a good set of after market header and exhaust. Since you have NA2, the header is good.

It is really pointless and you will loose low end torque. You may gain some HP by redline, but the smell and loudness will get you.

Don't do test pipes unless you have a good set of after market header and exhaust. Since you have NA2, the header is good.

It is really pointless and you will loose low end torque. You may gain some HP by redline, but the smell and loudness will get you.

That's what i'm having problems with if testpipes were to be in the question but not anymore for me...high flow cats will do. i had testpipes on my 300ZX TT and it was loud AND smelled really bad. every time i'd cruise with a bunch of buddies, they'd always have me last because they don't like to smell the fumes that come out of the exhaust, lol. :tongue:

i currently have test pipes on my 195whp 1.8L civic

about the fumes... i have none whatsoever. sure it smells like fuel in the beginning, but not at all as bad as people say it is. theres no smell at all after its driven.

i got a good deal on the test pipes. if they dont work out, i can always put my cats back in and get high flow ones later on.

Back