• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Advice on front license plate in Illinois

I just traded in my 1997 NSX for a 2003 yesterday. The car does not have a front license plate holder but the dealer has one on order for me. Any thoughts on installing the front license plate vs taking my chances? I live in the Northern Chicago suburbs.

I also saw the Science of Speed front license plate solution.

I live in the northern Chicago suburbs too. I have not used a front license plate on any of my cars for over twenty years (all living here). I have only been stopped twice - once, when the NSX was brand new and the cop just wanted to get a closer look at it, and another time, in the Integra, when the cop seemed like he was just having a bad day. I was not issued a citation on either occasion. Which isn't bad for almost 400K miles of driving.

One thing I do is make sure I keep the second plate in the trunk, just in case I'm asked for it (so they don't think I'm using the plates on two different cars).

Most cops know that people with high-end cars don't like using the front plates, for the looks. It's no big secret.

I figure if I'm ever stopped, I'll plead that I've had it off, lost the frame, blah blah blah... Worst thing that can happen is you get a fix-it ticket (no points) and go plead that you had it mounted...

I have never had a front plate on any of my cars since coming to Chicago. Nor have ever been questioned while averaging 1 speeding ticket per year. Car looks better without it, give it a shot and see what happens. Worse case is you end up putting it on, but I doubt you will have a problem.....Steve

The day I bought my NSX from the dealership, I took the front license plate frame off as soon as I got home. In over 6 years of ownership, I did receive 1 fix-it ticket but only because I was stopped for speeding by an IL trooper. The no front plate ticket was thrown out in court (judge could care less and didn't even ask if I had put it back on the car).

I also used to own a 300ZX with no front plates. In 11 years of that ownership, I got one fix-it ticket but was originally pulled over for tinted windows - two fix-it tickets thrown at me! :tongue:

Cops in my hood have a hard-on for cars without a front plate.:rolleyes: I went with the SOS thingy. Nice idea, and good execution thereof.

I am in Southern Illinois/St. Louis Area, and my experiences have been somewhat like NSXTASY's.
The few times that I have been pulled over, Have been in KGP's Neighborhood. So now I just avoid that area.:biggrin:

wswen said:
Don't drive thru Stone Park Illinois! You will get a compliance ticket for sure.:frown:
Ironically, the only time I have ever set foot in Stone Park (which is a tiny municipality in the middle of built-up Chicago suburbs) was when I was picking up my license plates when I first bought my NSX in 1990.

nsxtasy said:
Ironically, the only time I have ever set foot in Stone Park (which is a tiny municipality in the middle of built-up Chicago suburbs) was when I was picking up my license plates when I first bought my NSX in 1990.
:)

I did get one ticket for no front plate. I was parked in remote parking at O'Hare. WTF. :) Damn Chicago revenue generation (yes the ticket was from the City of Chicago).

For 5 years in Illinois and 3 years in TX with no front plate, not too bad. My wife had about the same track record with 3 years in TX and 4 in IL, she got one ticket in TX accompanying a speeding ticket.

-Chris

I have been ticketed for no license plate once in my old Civic and once in my old Evo.

Nothing yet with the NSX, in fact i haven't been pulled over yet "knock on wood" :biggrin:

I'd suggest this if you dont like the look of the stock license plate holder:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...cts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/Stealth_License_Plate/

I have the DaliRacing Stealth front plate on my car and it doesnt interfere with the looks of the car at all
http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=604

Back