• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AEM Water/Meth injection pre, post turbo(s) or both?

I just may do that as it adds a restriction to the charge flow and they don't seem to do the job once the engine is north of 6k. They are fine for cruising though. If I ever got ahold on one of Dave's IM intercoolers, I wouldn't have to worry but.....

There is also the safety factor added with the water spray added to my AEM Series 2 EMC.

Spray at any point in the charge pipe after the intercoolers and you will be fine. I do not remember where your charge pipe merges, but the merge point would be. Great spot as that is going to be a high turbulence area to aid in mixing the coolant and air.

Spraying before the IC will waste some cooling on the IC it self. We are trying to cool the air not the IC. A water/meth mix will cool below ambient temp anyway so all the IC is going to do is heat the charge air back above ambient if you spray before the IC.

Dave

If it will cool the charge air below the ambient temperature, it sounds as if the best place to add is right at the mouth of the throttle body. As I am already running phenolic IM gaskets and heat shielding below the IM, it's the best we can do. Now to find someone who can tap an AN fitting into that piece.

Last edited:
I will have a time line to you by the end of this week. The IC will be ready soon.

Dave

Valhalla,
The 90 degree cast metal elbow that connects to the throttle body has the two inlets for supplemental fuel injectors. When I had your kit, I put those rubber caps on them because I wasn't using extra injectors. Perhaps you can mount a nozzle in the top inlet as it points straight at the throttle body?

Dave - Can I be on your short list for the IC too? I remember you showing me pics when you were building the first one. Awesome then, awesome now!

David

Valhalla,
The 90 degree cast metal elbow that connects to the throttle body has the two inlets for supplemental fuel injectors. When I had your kit, I put those rubber caps on them because I wasn't using extra injectors. Perhaps you can mount a nozzle in the top inlet as it points straight at the throttle body?

David

That is where I was planning on adding the injector. Just need to find someone who can tap it and we'll plan an AN fitting there.

But if I have one of Dave's incredible WTA intercoolers, will I even need a water/meth kit? Should I re-plumb the charge piping to remove the existing ATA intercoolers? This has taken a whole new direction. I think the answers are obvious but just looking for suggestions from those far more knowledgably than myself. Thanks as always.

That is where I was planning on adding the injector. Just need to find someone who can tap it and we'll plan an AN fitting there.

But if I have one of Dave's incredible WTA intercoolers, will I even need a water/meth kit? Should I re-plumb the charge piping to remove the existing ATA intercoolers? This has taken a whole new direction. I think the answers are obvious but just looking for suggestions from those far more knowledgably than myself. Thanks as always.

With the new intercoolers the old ones need to go as they are another restriction. You can still run the meth as it will add a level of knock protection should you get some crap gas, it should make about 10-15 more whp with the changes and the meth with no drop off in performance. You will likely have to touch up your tune as there will likely be a slight increase in boost pressure.

Dave

That is what I was thinking too. I'll delete the ATA intercoolers and get the system re-plumbed and possibly add the water/meth if still required. The front boot is going to get crowded soon between pumps and reservoirs for WTW and water/meth bottles. Good thing that spare is long gone. Now I need to find a type-R hood......

Mo money, mo money, mo money.

Back