• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Aftermarket O2 sensor success?

Anyone have any success with the aftermarket O2 sensors out there for 91 models? I know Denso makes them for OEM, but I figured I'd check first. I replaced the front with OEM because it needed it, and I'd like to change the rear sensor too just because... They're like $50 on ebay instead of $200 at the dealer.

Just checking...

They don't seem to sell the rear... only front, L and R? Huh? And there's four different part numbers... :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Just buy the NGK O2 sensor. They work just as well and they are direct plug in. And they are half the price.

I used them on both my NSX. I don't feel any difference in performance with Denso or NGK. Both are quality products and are OEM manufactures for the NSX. Our OE spark plugs are NGK.

Last edited:
Just buy the NGK O2 sensor. They work just as well and they are direct plug in. And they are half the price.

I used them on both my NSX. I don't feel any difference in performance with Denso or NGK. Both are quality products and are OEM manufactures for the NSX. Our spark plugs OE spark plugs are NGK.

Honestly, they're not 1/2 the price. I can get a brand new O2 sensor from an Acura dealer (one who is a sponsor on this list) for about $180 which is $50 more than SOS. So it's not 1/2 the price. It's 1/2 of retail perhaps, but that doesn't matter. If the $60 Denso sensor on ebay is the same as the $133 NGK sensor, which would you get?

$50 is almost a full sushi dinner for two. If the Denso is the same, I'm buying it and going out to dinner tonight. Anyone wanna join me? :tongue:

Ah... I didn't see that one. Maybe it's because I was told somewhere to only get Denso. But if nobody has had trouble with NGK, that's fine too! And since it's cheaper than the Denso, I can get an order of Saba tonight too! ;)

I bought the NTK sensors and had them installed when I put on headers and have not experienced any problems.

O2 sensors are quite standardized, except for the connector and the number of wires (heated, common ground, etc). It is the connector and the length of the wire is what you are paying the extra $100. The length and connector is the only difference between front and rear.

So get a "generic OEM" (Denso, NGK, Bosch--the inventor of the sensor, whatever), that has the same number of wires and splice it in using your existing harness.

NCDogDoc did a nice write up on installing o2 sensors using "generic" wiring. The savings pays for the time and tools.

Drew

The NGK/NTK 24172 ones are direct fit (same plug) and the same length as the OEM ones. Only $56.

It even has the rubber pieces that attach to the hooks on your engine heads to keep the wires from touching the engine. They line up perfectly.

The Left and Right are the same sensor for the 1991.

The NGK/NTK Universal ones are $30. But you will have to splice the wire like Drew mentioned. Your choice if you want to save $40 and do it yourself.

Last edited:
The NGK/NTK 24172 ones are direct fit (same plug) and the same length as the OEM ones. Only $56.

It even has the rubber pieces that attach to the hooks on your engine heads to keep the wires from touching the engine. They line up perfectly.

The Left and Right are the same sensor for the 1991.

The NGK/NTK Universal ones are $30. But you will have to splice the wire like Drew mentioned. Your choice if you want to save $40 and do it yourself.

When you say left and right, are you meaning front and rear?:confused:

When you say left and right, are you meaning front and rear?

The catalogs list Left and Right, yes they mean front and rear.

The catalogs may list it Bank 1 and Bank 2 also. Bank 1 is where piston #1 exhausts into. And piston #1 is *always* on the cylinder head that is slightly more "forward" ("right" on the NSX) than the other bank.

O2 sensors are incredibly well standardized, so it really doesn't matter...one position will work on the other....only the wire length is different.

Drew

i was wondering pretty much the same thing. i talked to SOS, Dali and a bunch of Autozone/AdvancedAuto types... and i have come to the conclusion that Drew is right. you can take pretty much any 4-wire O2 sensor and get it to work with your NSX. as long as you are willing to cut, splice, and possibly re-thread a bung or two... it should all workout the same. i'll know for sure after i put the cheapest set of O2 sensors i can find in my NSX this weekend. a 45 year old, female, auto zone employee with a mullet, told me that the extra $$ is just for wiring and matching end connectors. she is a professional after all.

Not all O2 sensors are the same type. Zirconia sensors are by far the most common, and you can interchange generics. But they cannot be interchanged with Titania sensors, used on some Jeeps and Toyotas. And not all have heater elements, which must be hooked up as well to avoid a CEL if the car expects the sensor to have a heater.

ive read a lil bit about this o2 sensor thing. .my bank 1 on the rear passenger side went out and is giving me the chek engin light. . .is it something i kan can do myself. . reading the threads it seems like u unplug the old sensor, and then plug in the new one .. is that how it works.. .prob not im sure :eek:)

O2 sensors are quite standardized, except for the connector and the number of wires (heated, common ground, etc). It is the connector and the length of the wire is what you are paying the extra $100. The length and connector is the only difference between front and rear.

So get a "generic OEM" (Denso, NGK, Bosch--the inventor of the sensor, whatever), that has the same number of wires and splice it in using your existing harness.

NCDogDoc did a nice write up on installing o2 sensors using "generic" wiring. The savings pays for the time and tools.

Drew

actually. .after looking into it. .i found that the oxygen sensors are covered under that acura emissions warranty. . so i was told to just bring it in and those guys would get it ordered and cover it. . i have a 95, so its good for some 14yrs or so. . service writer told me i had until november to get it done. .

Back