• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

airfare deals to Tokyo

Trips to Tokyo can have wildy different airfares depending on when/where you're travelling. I travel overseas to Europe and Asia a fair amount and wanted to start this thread to advertise good airfares if you find them online. I also contribute to Seatguru.com.

I'll start off.

I bought a roundtrip Executive First class ticket from Orlando (MCO) to Tokyo (NRT) on Air Canada connecting in Toronto (YYZ) (you do not have to pass through customs) for $3400. Depart 11/15, return 11/23. The YYZ to NRT segment is on a 777 with lie flat single seat sleeping pods (similar to Virgin Atlantic) all with direct aisle access and 2 to 3 windows per seat. This ticket is usually 7 to 9K on US carriers. YYZ is less congested than many east coast hubs and this flight leaves on time greater than 90% of the time.

I checked and this non-advertised fare is also available from other US cities without nonstop service to NRT such as Boston and Miami. Air Canada's coach fares are around $900 RT (similar to US carriers) so there is less advantage.

Another alternative for those who love flying on Singapore airlines is this carrier's nonstop LAX to NRT service on a 747-400. I priced the business class seat for this itinerary and it is $4200. Getting to LAX would be an additional charge.

Another BIG plus about both of these fares....they are REFUNDABLE (less $200 admin fee). This is the biggest difference between discounted business class on US carriers and Asian/Canadian carriers. And, the refund is back to your credit card, not a credit for a future flight of the same value.

You will be spending over 15 hours in that seat, not counting your connecting flight. If you can upgrade to a business class seat with miles or can splurge just this once, I would highly recommend it.

Wei-Shen

Last edited:
I wasn't able to book first/business class on our flights unfortunately but am keeping an eye out for any upgrades that might become available later. I used my miles for free travel but they didn't have anything other than coach when I booked.

In terms of those who have the miles in their accounts, depending upon days traveling a round trip coach ticket for non-stop between Newark and Tokyo was between 60,000 - 90,000 miles.

I would love to fly business class but that is just out of my price range. Carla and I paid roughly $900 RT each from Newark to Narita non-stop. I'll be honest, I'm a little leary about a 14hr flight especially since I'm 6'. But I can buy a lot of Ambien for the price difference. FYI: According to SeatGuru, the back half of the bus on Continental's plane has 1" additional leg room more than the first half of the back of the bus.

I booked Chicago-Narita non-stop in steerage... I mean coach, on American Airlines for 50,000 AAdvantage miles. Seatguru showed me which seats have power ports so I don't run out of juice for the audiobooks on my Sansa Clip+.

Last edited:
Booked American using miles. Flight is Tulsa-DFW-Narita. The best rate I could find at the time, several weeks ago, was $1800 for a coach seat. However, I splurged on the First Class seats. Plane is a Boeing 777-200. If at all possible, for a long flight like this, I recommend first or business class seats.

Booked American using miles. Flight is Tulsa-DFW-Narita. The best rate I could find at the time, several weeks ago, was $1800 for a coach seat. However, I splurged on the First Class seats. Plane is a Boeing 777-200. If at all possible, for a long flight like this, I recommend first or business class seats.
FWIW, on American from Chicago, economy class is 50K miles round trip, business class 100K miles, and first class 125K miles.

For those of you that haven't booked your flight yet check out travelocity.com for combination airfare/hotel deals. I plan on staying a few days after Fiesta and flying back on Thanksgiving day. My total booked hotel stay in Tokyo will be 9 nights. Even though I won't in Tokyo three of those nights this travelocity deal was much better if I had booked airfare and hotel separately. My travelocity deal is $1433/person which includes airfare and 9 night hotel at: http://www.princehotels.com/en/shinagawa/. I could stay at the http://www.princehotels.com/en/takanawa/ for $277 more person. I checked United.com for airfare and it was a little over $1500/person. So with travelocity it is like getting my hotel for free. I've booked trips through travelocity before and so far have not had a problem with them.
Tom

Thanks for the info guys! So far I have about 75,000 miles since last sept, but this is not flying on the same airlines. I flew on Delta, NWA, and KLM which are grouped together. I flown on EVA and Dragon Airlines when I was in Asia, but I just found out that China Airlines is connected with Delta so next time I am flying them so I can get my miles linked up.

I recently flew Southwest which their service sucks and I flew Midwest Airlines.

Thanks for the tips.....I want to upgrade to business class if it was a better price. I just can't see myself spending 4k on a ticket and its 100k miles before you get a free international ticket on Delta.

Dave & I booked our coach class direct non-stop San Francisco-SFO to Tokyo-NRT 9 hr flights in early April on United w/a combination of miles & $. One of our itineraries was 65K miles & the other one was 30K miles + $500. We leave on Nov 13 & return on Nov 23. Personally, I prefer saving miles/$ by flying coach rather than business/first class as that means more trips in the future!

Back