• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Alex Zanardi Loses Both of his legs in crash!!!

I agree, this is particularly sad, but I would argue that this is nothing compared to the alternative, which could have been persishing in an accident of this magnitude.

I for one am just glad to hear that he has survived this crash.

It's been one heck of a week.
frown.gif

I was there with my friend Giuseppe and we saw the crash in front of us ! The shock was terrible ! His car was cut in two parts !

I still can't believe what happened ! I am shocked ! One second before we were so happy because he was leading the race and one second later ...

We spoke with him the day before, he is really a very nice person. He even signed us autographs (one on my jacket) !

This week is really a very,very bad week !

Regards
David

This really is sad news i also met him at Road America and had him sign a couple things. While i was in line a young kid asked him if he could please have his Visor so he grabed his Helmet took it off signed it gave it to him the kid was wild he truly is a super nice guy.

Steven 91Blk/Ivory

BERLIN -- Star driver Alex Zanardi underwent another operation Wednesday and is expected to be brought out of an induced coma in a few days.

Zanardi's legs were amputated following a crash Saturday in a CART race. His condition has improved steadily.

"We're hoping in the next few days he will wake up," said Dr. Walter Schaffartzik, who leads the team of physicians treating the 34-year-old Italian.

"Everything is going the way we want -- he's stable. We found nothing bad at all. It doesn't look as if we should expect something serious."

Zanardi faces a fourth operation in two days, depending on his progress, to check for infection and fragments. Doctors say chances are slim he faces danger from delayed heart or liver failure because of trauma.

Schaffartzik said his team is considering when to fit Zanardi for artificial legs. His legs were amputated up to the middle of his thighs.

"It depends on how his wounds heal, but these days, the prosthetic limbs are quite good," Schaffartzik said.

Zanardi, one of the circuit's most popular drivers, lost control of his car during CART's first race in Europe. He spun backward and was hit by Canada's Alex Tagliani at 200 mph.

Zanardi also sustained a small pelvis fracture and concussion but escaped internal or head injuries.

He was placed in an induced coma to reduce the chance of organ failure, a traumatic reaction to the huge loss of tissue and muscle following his amputation.

"The longer it doesn't happen, the less chance that it will occur," Schaffartzik said.

Back