• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Milehighmileage's 91 Berlina Black from the dead

To make a long story short, I have always been a Honda fanboy. What launched me into Acura ownership was a purchase of my first car that changed cars forever for me; 1993 Integra GS-R in Frost White, high mileage but clean and an absolute joy to drive. Fast foward a couple years I had saved for my next "step up" in sports cars, originally wanting a S2000. My height (6'4" and all legs) was proving it extremely difficult to fit, and if I was to purchase I would need to instantly modify the seat or swap for a lower sitting aftermarket seat. At the same time my dad had owned a 91 Berlina Black NSX with 226k miles which he had purchased roughly a year and a half ago. Unfortunately the car was in snap ring range, and also had been in a low speed rear end collision and that caused the transmission to really start having some serious issues. A large pricetag and several weeks time later, Pikes Peak Acura placed a SOS jdm Gearing 5spd along with nsxr final drive, flywheel, SOS clutch, and lsd in the car. Around this time my dad was talking about getting rid of the car because it needed a lot of work and he doesn't have the time for it, also with the NSX market being so inflated at the moment he could make a good amount of money because the car was purchased for such a ridiculously low price, it's the lowest number I have ever heard for a clean title, running nsx. That being said the car needs A LOT of love. We got to talking and I've always loved the NSX and we agreed on a deal. Still can't thank him enough for such an awesome opportunity! I've owned the car for 4 months now and I wish I'd done more documentation of what has been completed to this point. Previous to me the car had Ivory interior with a drivers seat that seemed unrepairable. Both seats have since been covered in a black leather outside, black alcantera center, with red stitch. Zanardi floor mats, also new transmission I had talked about above and a Dali racing exhaust was all that was on the car when I purchased. I'll continue posting bringing the thread up to speed as to where I am now with the car, along with pictures :smile:

Sounds great. Please keep the updates and pictures coming
Will do! Thanks Tom.

[MENTION=34895]Milehighmileage[/MENTION] i'm not but a few miles away from you so let me know if you need a hand with anything
I appreciate your offering, and I will not hesitate to ask!

Welcome to ownership! I'm also local if you have any questions.
Thank you! I think I saw your name under an itb thread? I'd love to see that in person :wink:

First here's a picture of the car when it started to get driven again, notice the custom aerodynamic hole in the front bumper courtesy of a car bumper or highway debris? 20180515_114205.jpg

One of the first problems that was fixed is blown engine hatch and trunk struts. New struts from GSB had me pleased with fitment and function, although the third brake light wire clip attachment no longer fits like OEM. Very soon after H&R lowering springs installed, due to not liking the look of a 4x4 NSX and also preparing for a wheel setup! 20180608_180826.jpg

One of the first problems that was fixed is blown engine hatch and trunk struts. New struts from GSB had me pleased with fitment and function, although the third brake light wire clip attachment no longer fits like OEM.

Do you still have your original engine hatch and trunk struts? You can send them in to Strutwise and have them recharged.

After I recieved a package in the mail from SOS, I quickly put on a set of ce28's that had been patiently waiting in the corner of the garage :cool:
20180614_173559.jpg

20180614_173644.jpg

Also put in NSXR shift boot and SOS Aluminum weighted, na1 NSXR style shift knob
20180614_194050.jpg

After I recieved a package in the mail from SOS, I quickly put on a set of ce28's that had been patiently waiting in the corner of the garage :cool:
View attachment 156107

View attachment 156108

Also put in NSXR shift boot and SOS Aluminum weighted, na1 NSXR style shift knob
View attachment 156109

Very nice, the JDM gearing must be a blast. Does it prevent VTEC from dropping off when shifting at redline? Also, I'm not sure if you like the look or are unaware, but just in case you were unaware, you can actually pull the NSX-R shift boot over the lip of the knob, like so:

20354841202_2c78e81a05_b.jpg

Very nice, the JDM gearing must be a blast. Does it prevent VTEC from dropping off when shifting at redline? Also, I'm not sure if you like the look or are unaware, but just in case you were unaware, you can actually pull the NSX-R shift boot over the lip of the knob, like so:

20354841202_2c78e81a05_b.jpg

The JDM gearing is fantastic! Really makes a huge difference at elevation, it does a much better job of keep the car in vtec but you still have to drive it hard to do so. I haven't seen that before, the way I have it setup is the way I thought it was supposed to be because the fitment is so superb.

I haven't seen that before, the way I have it setup is the way I thought it was supposed to be because the fitment is so superb.

Here's what mine looks like with the mesh boot pulled up over the lip of the knob, but I also have the Zanardi shift stalk installed:

NSX_31.jpg

Here's what mine looks like with the mesh boot pulled up over the lip of the knob, but I also have the Zanardi shift stalk installed:
[/ATTACH]
So with the SOS knob it has a spot for the the shift boot to sit on. I haven't seen a real nsxr knob and I imagine the way you have it installed is the correct way. I think SOS sets people up to look like noobs :frown:
20181015_014219.jpg

Next on my list was to restore the paint, or at least give it my best shot. This car has sat outside in California weather for several years, and I'm not aware of the exact timeline and has really done a number on the passenger side clear coat. All being all, the drivers side came out exceptional to my poor, untrained, detailing eye. 20181015_014825.jpg
First getting rid of large contaminants, also trying to be delicate on not only old, but black paint. :eek:
20181015_014845.jpg
This is after a pressure and soap wash, no physical agitation just yet.
20181015_014931.jpg
Close up of a similar area because I forgot to take the same picture after I was done. This is a clay bar, polish and wax. As I said before my untrained ability lead me to using a orbital polisher with only a circular motion, not a DA. Combined with a wool pad, ended in a disaster that still ended up better than when I started? :confused: The camera, much like many other things cannot show the fine detail of just how many holograms I had created. This will be something I will be correcting in the near future. (B-pillar off for paint)
20181015_014906.jpg
Attempting polishing half the front bumper but it seems to of only made the paint fade more obvious, but the hole got a face lift with some lovely color matched tape :cool:

Nice effort on the paint, especially on a black car. Looks good to me.

In regards to your shifter knob situation, I think you have a combination of the Type R shifter boot and Type S (Zandari) shifter knob.
I am not a Type R expert, so here are some photos for reference. (NA2 photos)
http://jdm-expo.com/vehicle-inventory/363-honda-nsx-type-r-sale.html
https://www.thensxshop.com/nsxr/nsx-r-02-shift-boot
https://www.thensxshop.com/nsxr/nsx-r-02-titanium-shift-knob

Either way, the combo that you have isn't a bad one. :)

So with the SOS knob it has a spot for the the shift boot to sit on. I haven't seen a real nsxr knob and I imagine the way you have it installed is the correct way. I think SOS sets people up to look like noobs :frown:

Correct, SOS added the bottom "clip" portion so that you could clip their Type-S style knob into the OEM leather shift boot. You should have plenty of slack in the Type-R shift boot to pull it up over the lip of the SOS knob if you want.

Nice effort on the paint, especially on a black car. Looks good to me.

In regards to your shifter knob situation, I think you have a combination of the Type R shifter boot and Type S (Zandari) shifter knob.
I am not a Type R expert, so here are some photos for reference. (NA2 photos)
http://jdm-expo.com/vehicle-inventory/363-honda-nsx-type-r-sale.html
https://www.thensxshop.com/nsxr/nsx-r-02-shift-boot
https://www.thensxshop.com/nsxr/nsx-r-02-titanium-shift-knob

Either way, the combo that you have isn't a bad one. :)

Thank you much! Still a long ways to go but at least I have some sort of starting point.

Just a quick note on the knob. The genuine Type-S knob (like on NSX_n00b's car) has a lip at the bottom, which mates to a 10mm jam nut that screws down the shaft first. The way you fasten it is to sandwich the fabric between the jam nut and the lip of the knob. Some people pull out all the slack so you have a "flush" fit and can see the lip. Others "blouse" the fabric like on Spencer's car. No way is the "right" way, as I've seen both styles on factory Type-S and S-Zero cars. I prefer the "bloused" look myself. The clip on the SoS knob may make it difficult to fit the fabric between the jam nut and the knob, however, which could limit your options.

Holy Smokes! It has been too long fellow primers. Life has been busy and I've been spending my free time working on my car rather than posting about it, so hopefully this will bring my thread up to speed.
I also realized that I didn't even make it to the current status od the car the last time I posted. So heres a rough list of the mods I have put on the car.
- Bilsteins with H&R Springs
- Zanardi Floor Mats
- Taitec GTLW
- Volk CE28N
- Removed both speaker/ amp housings
- Removed Spare Tire/ Bracket
- JDM 5 Speed
- SOS Lightened Flywheel
- SOS 275 Clutch
- SOS Type S Shift Knob
- NSXR Shift Boot
I Believe thats all I have on the car at this moment, and reading it makes me wonder where all my money has gone?
20190324_121155.jpg
*Notice primered rear bumper and lower valance, right before I purchased, my dad was in a low speed rear ending, blowing apart the 30 year old rear bumper
20190503_141144.jpg
I forgot any Pictures taken with a phone upload sideways... my apologies.
Snagged a set of Bridgestone RE-71Rs for the stock wheels, because the tires are so cheap and I enjoy the look of the stock wheels.
These tires make the car feel absolutely insane. The biggest difference for me would be in the brakes, this car STOPS HARD (about two or three times in a row from 100 then they start to fade.)
But I also have very old hot spotted rotors on the car and unknown pads.
20190327_211206.jpg
Parked next to my brothers 97 Prelude. Only 65k Miles!

Here is a great example of just letting some things go and having people that know what they are doing work on your car:
Previously, I posted about how great my car looked after polishing... And it did.. until I pulled it out under the sun.
Turns out, if you have an idiot who has no idea what they are doing, and hand them an orbital polisher and a wool pad, they will destroy the clear coat (or whats left of it). The good part to the situation is that the idiot in this case was myself so I could only hold onto the frustration deep down inside.
I've always stayed in touch with a car-friend from high school and as it turns out, he does paint correction for a living!
We have gone back and forth with I-Owe-U's but this time around I have some serious debt to pay. He spent about 11 hours teaching and helping re-polish the car in a proper way.
Pictured below is a 50-50 shot of my previous polishing job vs. the correct way to polish (first stage of three)
20190623_170426.jpg
Wow what a differnce that is

20190623_232820.jpg
This is after Stage 3.
Believe me when I say it brought tears to my eyes when I pulled the car into the sun for the first time, it honestly felt like I owned a different car.
That pay off is something that many of us chase, but sometimes it can be so hard to find for most of us. I think thats why I enjoy working on a needle in the haystack condition car, because it can be so rewarding when something is fixed.
Anyway, I plan on keeping this thread updated as best as I can manage, and I can't wait to share with all of you what is next for this "30 year old acura"
Thanks for reading, and have a wonderful day!
- Chase

Hi

care to share the 'proper way'

>
Here is a great example of just letting some things go and having people that know what they are doing work on your car:
Previously, I posted about how great my car looked after polishing... And it did.. until I pulled it out under the sun.
Turns out, if you have an idiot who has no idea what they are doing, and hand them an orbital polisher and a wool pad, they will destroy the clear coat (or whats left of it). The good part to the situation is that the idiot in this case was myself so I could only hold onto the frustration deep down inside.
I've always stayed in touch with a car-friend from high school and as it turns out, he does paint correction for a living!
We have gone back and forth with I-Owe-U's but this time around I have some serious debt to pay. He spent about 11 hours teaching and helping re-polish the car in a proper way.

>

Back