• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

All-electric NSX???

Rumor is that Version 3 of the NSX will be electric.
Comments?
H-

It all depends on how long it takes - in the electrified era I don’t think they will have 12 years to diddle around like did between the NA2 and the NC1.

I'm OK with that. Whether we like it or not (and I don't, particularly), electric is the immediate future. Hopefully, Acura will give us something of note whenever they release.

you can do it

its electric

shbadeepaar baabgaeega

its electric

Rumor is that Version 3 of the NSX will be electric.
Comments?
H-

Just sayin' I predicted this 2 weeks ago. :D

But in seriousness, Honda has invested an enormous amount of R&D money and engineering talent into hydrogen fuel cell technology over the last 20 years. My strong sense is the 3rd Gen NSX will be used to demonstrate how this technology can be combined with pure electric drive to deliver a super-sports driving experience without the range anxiety and miserable hours-long charging delays of competitive products like the Teslas. My understanding is that they have already been working on it at the preliminary level. Honda is all-in on fuel cell and I think they will use the NSX as their statement to the world about it.

Obviously, this strategy will depend on building out the national hydrogen infrastructure (which is currently limited to California), so timing of the product will track it fairly closely. However, the current infrastructure bill contains a lot of money to do just that, along with a nationwide charging network. My sense is in 2030, many "gas" stations will have multiple fuel options when you pull up: petrol, hydrogen and plug-in.

We will also likely see use of recycled and/or eco-friendly materials in its structure and use of 3D printing as part of Honda's commitment to carbon-zero by 2040.

I expect the 3rd Gen to appear sooner than 12 years. Before 2030, actually.

me thinks methane is more readily available....

I guess it depends on where you live but I have zero range anxiety and a 500 mile trip takes about an extra half hour in our Tesla which is more than made up for by having a full tank of electrons every morning and never wasting time at gas stations the rest of the time. Obviously travel in the legacy OEMs EVs is very different; I have tried using some of the other charging stations by Chargepoint and EVgo just to see what the experience is like and it was miserable - many broken chargers and even when they work pretty slow. Since that is the choke point for EVs, given the additional complication of building hydrogen fueling stations and manufacturing hydrogen I am having trouble seeing how the build out will happen even after they solve the freezing handle problem.

I guess it depends on where you live but I have zero range anxiety and a 500 mile trip takes about an extra half hour in our Tesla which is more than made up for by having a full tank of electrons every morning and never wasting time at gas stations the rest of the time. Obviously travel in the legacy OEMs EVs is very different; I have tried using some of the other charging stations by Chargepoint and EVgo just to see what the experience is like and it was miserable - many broken chargers and even when they work pretty slow. Since that is the choke point for EVs, given the additional complication of building hydrogen fueling stations and manufacturing hydrogen I am having trouble seeing how the build out will happen even after they solve the freezing handle problem.

I have a friend who has driven from Riverside to Corpus Christi and his experience is similar to yours. But then again I would go visit my in laws in Big Bear, CA and don’t see any level 2 or 3 chargers there. I guess if I was there for a weekend I could live with a 400 mile range (to/from and running around) EV.

Being in the right traffic corridor for EV use is important. For a daily commute (85 miles round trip) I found my Volt could not reliably operate on battery the whole route due to lack of charging stations at my work area. Of course my volt has the gas powered generator and for the last few years I’ve stopped trying to charge at work. A commuter car with a 150 mile battery capacity would work great for commuting, but not for the longer range driving.

But in time level 3 charging stations at every restaurants and grocery stores would be most helpful (and necessary).

they would need them at every rest stop in the US as well. Isn't there money set aside in the infrastructure bills for this?

Agree with all of this. Both my neighbors have Model 3's. One has a vacation home in Winter Park and he said they never take the Tesla because by the time you get up there the battery is dead and you can't go out on the town. They're basically stuck at home for a couple hours until the car charges back up. So they take the XC90 or the Panamera. My other neighbor has similar frustrations about his 3. This isn't news about Teslas.

I don't think there will be a one size fits all personal transport solution like there was with petrol. Urban dwellers likely will gravitate to EV, but suburb and exurb folks like me will probably move more fully to petrol hybrids and finally FCEV, since our driving distances are longer. Rural may stick to petrol the longest. That's why I think future fuel stations will have the menu of the three sources. Of course, that doesn't rule out more exotic solutions like road surfaces and parking spots that continuously wirelessly charge, but those will probably only be applied to urban centers where most of the EVs will be anyway.

Honda made a bet on hydrogen decades ago and Japan is moving hard in that direction. They have enormous ocean access and are planning huge wind, solar and possibly nuclear electrolysis plants. That's why I think ultimately the NSX will be a FCEV.

Could be wrong don't think electric nsx would be as fun as what we have now. We have a tesla that blows most cars doors off but my nsx and s2000 are way more fun.

August 17, 2023 — MONTEREY, Calif.,
  • Acura again makes Monterey Peninsula the place to share its future product vision
  • Surprise reveal follows world debut of 2024 ZDX and ZDX Type S
Accelerating toward its electrified future, Acura today gave enthusiasts an unexpected sneak peek at its latest Electric Vision during its annual event at the world-famous Monterey Car Week. Created by the Acura Design Studio in Los Angeles, the electrifying design study with thrilling performance proportions; powerfully sculpted, contrast surfacing; and striking neon green lighting signature further explores the future evolution of Precision Crafted Performance design language as the performance brand transitions to a zero-emissions future.

"Our Acura design team in Los Angeles is dreaming up the future of Acura Precision Crafted Performance in the EV era," said Dave Marek, Acura executive creative director. "This latest expression of an all-electric high-performance model is inspiring everyone in our studio to push the boundaries and we wanted to share the fun with our Acura fans."

I'll keep my Hybrid...but I do believe the NSX will be a multimotor E supercar..

Eventually they will all go electric it’s the only way to go faster. Lotus has a pretty sick one to R&T just did some testing on one. Only thing holding the electric car back at this point is battery tec. I’m interested to see how Musks new battery is as durable as he claims. It would be cool if they could eliminate the need for charging stations and just swap batteries like an RC car.

Rimac Nevera

Last edited:
Looking forward to a BEV NSX.

IMO the GM C8 schooled Honda on the NC1.

I really want scissor or gullwing doors as parking spaces are getting smaller, neighbor cars getting bigger, and I want to get out of my car in peace.

Low beltline is a massive plus too.

Allow a BMW like range extender, except removable.

Electric cars have all been about putting down insane numbers (and insane weight) as a function of their design parameters (more range = more battery = more available power). I'd like to see the NSX go a different direction, something like what Gordon Murray is doing with his T.50 and T.33 but chasing "classic" performance has never been what the NSX is about, so I expect that the new NSX will chase numbers as well. The original NSX redefined what a supercar could be. The second NSX made the hybrid supercar at a non-astronomical price point. I'm curious to see if and how the next NSX sets itself apart (other than pricing) from the upcoming crop of electric supercars.

Electric cars have all been about putting down insane numbers (and insane weight) as a function of their design parameters (more range = more battery = more available power). I'd like to see the NSX go a different direction, something like what Gordon Murray is doing with his T.50 and T.33 but chasing "classic" performance has never been what the NSX is about, so I expect that the new NSX will chase numbers as well. The original NSX redefined what a supercar could be. The second NSX made the hybrid supercar at a non-astronomical price point. I'm curious to see if and how the next NSX sets itself apart (other than pricing) from the upcoming crop of electric supercars.
FCEV. Mark my words. ;)

FCEV. Mark my words. ;)

I think hydrogen fuel cells are interesting and it would surely set the NSX apart, but I've never seen an FCEV on the east coast. I don't think I've even seen a hydrogen fuel station. I imagine an FCEV NSX would sell worse than the second generation NSX or even a full EV NSX.

I think hydrogen fuel cells are interesting and it would surely set the NSX apart, but I've never seen an FCEV on the east coast. I don't think I've even seen a hydrogen fuel station. I imagine an FCEV NSX would sell worse than the second generation NSX or even a full EV NSX.
FCEV will likely be for JDM market only since Japan is building a massive H2 infrastructure. 3rd Gen development went back to Honda Japan since they were disappointed with the US-based Acura team on the Gen 2. USDM version will probably be a BEV.

Last edited:
H2 in JDMland seems to be a way to keep the levels of employment and complexity high. This typically doesn't stand the test of time despite the subsidies.

BEV works for probably 90% of the people 90% of the time. The last mile infrastructure will be retrofitted in over the next 20 years as ICE takes its last gasps for air.

I can see JDM H2 used for mass electric generation.

I would really like to see the NSX in the form of a BEV McLaren or Lotus.

The media is all lathered up about BEV fires. Google hydrogen station fires ( and the Hindenburg ) and imagine the coverage when they start burning down here and, as mentioned in previous posts in this thread, that is only a minor roadblock to use of hydrogen. Hydrogen is the fuel of the future and always will be.

Hydrogen is the fuel of the future and always will be.
Agree. BEV is the bridge to H2. But full-market adoption of batteries puts a fairly heavy strain on rare earths and presents similar issues to nuclear power with highly toxic waste from both mining, production and waste/recycling of old units. FCEV also use batteries, but much smaller ones, which may be more sustainable in the long run when zoomed out to macro scales. Super-capacitors also may be a solution.

Honda laid out their plan pretty well here. They are focused on reducing size and cost of the FC and are working with GM. Looks like ~2040 is when they want these things to be mass market ready.

https://thedriven.io/2023/02/07/hon...fuel-cell-evs-announcing-plans-for-expansion/

I like how Honda is thinking organically about this- like they will need production, transportation and storage technology to go along with the vehicles. The Japanese government is providing a lot of the capital for this part. You have to remember that from a Japanese perspective, they've always been acutely anxious about their reliance on imported fossil fuels. It's an existential risk for them and one of the main reasons they attacked us in 1941- we embargoed their oil. Coming out of that, they first turned to nuclear, but after Fukushima the national will is gone on that front. They've now pivoted to H2. Unlike oil, LNG or coal, they are surrounded by an essentially unlimited supply of hydrogen in the oceans. They are a small island chain, so building the infrastructure isn't as daunting as it would be for a vast country like the US or Canada.

What's really interesting is that they have figured out how to blend H2 with LNG. This means you can use existing LNG infrastructure and gradually convert it over to H2. LNG powerplants burning even a 50/50 split would drastically reduce CO2 emissions. I think this is where you'll see H2 in the US first at scale, not in personal vehicles.

I would really like to see the NSX in the form of a BEV McLaren or Lotus.

I think that's what we'll get, with some kind of twist that justifies using the NSX nameplate.

Battery technology is constantly improving and Toyota among others are close to making solid state batteries which will be a major step forward. BEVs are just one user for LI batteries, everything in LI batteries is recyclable, and companies like Redwood Materials are working on making the process commercially viable. I wish that I could buy stock in Redwood Materials, founded by JB Straubel a co-founder of Tesla who is currently a Tesla board member, but unfortunately they are privately owned.

Back