• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

All motor NSX.

SPA_S2000 said:
Do you guys know this guy?

If not, it is shocking to me that someone posts on the internet that they believe they have a way to get 475HP out of a NA NSX engine for $14k and all they need is your engine and your money and we've got a few people ready to go for it.
To those who replied with some disdain to SPA_S2000's post... let's all chill. It's clear from his post that he was not familiar with Barn Man's reputation as one of the top NSX mechanics in the country, and that he was just raising a possible point to make sure it was covered. I'm sure he intended no disrespect for Barn Man's background; he was just not familiar with it.

RP-Motorsports said:
See post #22

Actually, you mean see post #24, which is AFTER my post (#23) that you have quoted asking the question. . .

In fact, Barn Man was likely responding to my post, but only quoted Meeyatch (post #22, incidentally) when he did.

I also see it continues to be asked by several people that missed the answer in post #24. I, however, am not one of them. :tongue:

nsxtasy said:
To those who replied with some disdain to SPA_S2000's post... let's all chill. It's clear from his post that he was not familiar with Barn Man's reputation as one of the top NSX mechanics in the country, and that he was just raising a possible point to make sure it was covered. I'm sure he intended no disrespect for Barn Man's background; he was just not familiar with it.

Echoing what Ken has said, don't let his low post count on NSX prime fool anyone into believing he is not a fixture in the NSX community.

I have never done business with or even spoken to him, but as an NSX owner for the last few years his name is well known to me and I have often read his technical advice or heard of his service from others on prime and elsewhere (NSX digest comes to mind).

You asked if it is crank or wheel bhp. In post #22, he clearly states that it is crank bhp in the last sentance.

Post #22

"No, this isn't the project car. That car has a CT SC on it with many other mods you see on most NSX's with......mods. That IS my shop baby though. It belongs to Creighton Underwood. The car is in Daytona as we speak.
The HP claim is crank horsepower BTW."

As far as the powerband goes, no clue.

Your post was #27, 5 after #22 :biggrin:

RP-Motorsports said:
You asked if it is crank or wheel bhp. In post #22, he clearly states that it is crank bhp in the last sentance.

Post #22

"No, this isn't the project car. That car has a CT SC on it with many other mods you see on most NSX's with......mods. That IS my shop baby though. It belongs to Creighton Underwood. The car is in Daytona as we speak.
The HP claim is crank horsepower BTW."

As far as the powerband goes, no clue.

Your post was #27, 5 after #22 :biggrin:

I don't know what to say, because I am looking at the posts and #s that I have stated.

Meeyatch's post is #22 at 4:00

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=418605&postcount=22

Followed by Mine as #23 at 4:01

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=418606&postcount=23

And Barn Man with #24, the one you quote as #22, at 4:05.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=418608&postcount=24

Are you just f*cking with me? :confused: I guess that is amusing. :cool:

If not, I don't have an explanation for why we see two different things when we view this thread.

Can someone else weigh in on this, please?

I can imagine the post # varies by prime user given the ignore function, but I don't understand the time difference.

Barn Man said:
I may be able to ship them. More than likely I'll be putting them in and making any necessary adjustments myself though. I don't like to trust just anyone with my reputation. I hope you understand. One mistake can kill you in a small comunity like this. I've busted my ass to get a good rep! Do you know anyone who would work 8 hours at their day job, leave on a friday after work to drive to Orlando from Nashville Tn, (10.5 hours), get 3 hours sleep, work 16 on an NSX for a customer, (Sat) sleep another 6 hours, work another 16 hours, (Sunday), sleep 4 hours, drive home to Nashville, and then go back to work the next day? ( I tried to get to work on Monday, didn't work, I went to bed after unloading my truck) I've paid my dues baby!

Barney

Barn Man,

If the build up is trully >475hp, around USD 14K and once you have built it, it is reliable....

I will be able to get together at least 3 NSX's here in Australia.

Your airfares and expenses will be covered as well for the install.

Because of our remote location you will have to do the R&D in the States and we would want to make sure that it is possible and will be reliable. You have a good reputation from what I have read so I have no reason to believe otherwise.

I hope you get all the support you need to make this a reality!

Barn Man I have a couple of question that you probably overlooked in my other post.

1. What sleeve manufacture?
2. Bore size?
3. do we ship the motor and it will come back built?
4. Will it be streetable with 91 octane?
5. will the custom header be compatible with most aftermarket exhuast such as taitec?
6. The 14,000 dollar price tag is just for parts correct?
7. doest this come with a ignition system? or will the stock one be efficeint?

Thanks, Mark

Alittleboost said:
Barn Man I have a couple of question that you probably overlooked in my other post.

1. What sleeve manufacture?
2. Bore size?
3. do we ship the motor and it will come back built?
4. Will it be streetable with 91 octane?
5. will the custom header be compatible with most aftermarket exhuast such as taitec?
6. The 14,000 dollar price tag is just for parts correct?
7. doest this come with a ignition system? or will the stock one be efficeint?

Thanks, Mark

Mark, you (and many others I see here) are jumping the gun. This thread was to gauge interest, not give out non-existent specifics. I think he has accomplished his goal of gauging our interest as he already has ~ 7 possible donors lined up. Knowing his style, I see Barney disappearing from Prime again until he has either succeeded or failed at his objective. Barn Man is more of a worker than a bullshitter and his record shows that.

While I have a true interest in this thread (because the truth is it is possible to achieve!) I will be practicing a "wait-and-see" approach. If it comes to pass, then I will ask my questions....at Barney's check out counter!

nsxtasy said:

Of course no disrespect! I was just asking if you people with money in hand knew Barn Man; I was not in anyway suggesting that there was any wrong doing at all. I was caught off guard by the immediate rush of people willing to move forward with this and I was wondering why that was.

Now I know ;)

brahtw8 said:
And Barn Man with #24, the one you quote as #22, at 4:05.
If not, I don't have an explanation for why we see two different things when we view this thread.

Can someone else weigh in on this, please?

I can imagine the post # varies by prime user given the ignore function, but I don't understand the time difference.
I have absolutely no idea why the post count would vary from one user to another, except (as you wisely note) for the possible use of the ignore function. The post in question shows as #24 for me.

This is why I prefer to refer to posts not by the post number, but instead, by the author name or, better still, using a link that only contains the NSXprime internal post ID. Perhaps we can all agree that the post in question is this one.

nsxtasy said:
Perhaps we can all agree that the post in question is this one.

I can agree, but TBell maintains that post is #22, not 24, and that my post, which I believe to be #23 is in fact #27. (For me, I see #27 as a post by slashmatt). Either he is just yanking my chain, or something else is going on here.

Juice said:
Mark, you (and many others I see here) are jumping the gun. This thread was to gauge interest, not give out non-existent specifics. I think he has accomplished his goal of gauging our interest as he already has ~ 7 possible donors lined up. Knowing his style, I see Barney disappearing from Prime again until he has either succeeded or failed at his objective. Barn Man is more of a worker than a bullshitter and his record shows that.

While I have a true interest in this thread (because the truth is it is possible to achieve!) I will be practicing a "wait-and-see" approach. If it comes to pass, then I will ask my questions....at Barney's check out counter!

Oh..O.K. I thought he had the plans already laid out, but I guess he is going part shopping from the responses to the intrests in this project. Well, I'm intersted...but I'll wait to see what his plans and use of components are first. I'll keep a watch on this thread, but I'm sure its going to get really long.

Thanks, Mark.......I'll keep my questions bottled up until barn man gets back.

when you guys are done putting this engine together and proved,put me down for one.how would you like to get paid?

just let me ask a couple of simple questions that should already been known.

1. Is this motor street capable?! for 91 octane? daily driving?
2.so we will get at least 450+ crank hp right?

O.K....i'll sit back and see whats up.

Thanks, Mark

Alittleboost said:
just let me ask a couple of simple questions that should already been known.

1. Is this motor street capable?! for 91 octane? daily driving?
2.so we will get at least 450+ crank hp right?

O.K....i'll sit back and see whats up.

Thanks, Mark

I've been sitting back.....whats been going on? :confused:

Alittleboost said:
Is this motor street capable?! for 91 octane? daily driving?

Mark are you kidding? 91 Octane? Who still uses 91 octane??? :confused: If you are still using 91 octane, I would say your not too worried about hp or performance... In fact you are even going against what Honda tell you to run their stock motor on... "PREMIUM ONLY"

BTW, in your signature, the quote of Mr Wolf in Pulp Fiction is incorrect. I pointed this out to you in another thread but you obviously didn't read it.... :biggrin:

Re: octane...

Osiris_x11 said:
hmmm... my NSX says to use "Premium" which is 91 octane. "Supreme" is 93 octane.
:eek: :eek:

Your kidding right :confused: :

So what is your average run-of-the-mill "standard" octane?

I would be very suprised if you (as in the US) being the biggest consumer of petrol in the world... Did not have the higher octane unleaded that we peasents in Australia get?? :confused:

Basically we have:

91 RON = Standard Unleaded and the cheapest fuel available i.e. what most people buy
95 RON = Premium unleaded 2-5c more expensive / litre
98 RON = Shell (Optimax) & BP (Ultimate) 9c/Litre more expensive than the standard unleaded

Could it be that we all get the same fuels but call them different names?

AU_NSX said:
:eek: :eek:

Your kidding right :confused: :

So what is your average run-of-the-mill "standard" octane?

I would be very suprised if you (as in the US) being the biggest consumer of petrol in the world... Did not have the higher octane unleaded that we peasents in Australia get?? :confused:

Basically we have:

91 RON = Standard Unleaded and the cheapest fuel available i.e. what most people buy
95 RON = Premium unleaded 2-5c more expensive / litre
98 RON = Shell (Optimax) & BP (Ultimate) 9c/Litre more expensive than the standard unleaded

Could it be that we all get the same fuels but call them different names?
Now, i'm no oil expert here, so i'm not sure if the octane ratings you get are the same as ours.
Here in the US, the regular unleaded is 87 octane. Theres midrange (~89) and depending on what state you're in, Premium.
In California, premium is only 91 octane. thats the highest we get without going race-gas.
So, when someone asks a question like "will it run on 91 octane" they mean "Will this run on pump gas? or do i have to find special stuff"

You are correct, the octane rating system in the US is different and results in lower numerical values for Octane.

paladin said:
Now, i'm no oil expert here, so i'm not sure if the octane ratings you get are the same as ours.
Here in the US, the regular unleaded is 87 octane. Theres midrange (~89) and depending on what state you're in, Premium.
In California, premium is only 91 octane. thats the highest we get without going race-gas.
So, when someone asks a question like "will it run on 91 octane" they mean "Will this run on pump gas? or do i have to find special stuff"

That's crazy. We don't even get 87 in my area. We get 85, 88 and 91. I know of one station 30 minutes from here that has 92 at the pump. There are so many people that fill up on 85, it's not even funny. It doesn't matter what kind of car it is either. People fill up on 85. I don't even buy that for my lawn mower. :smile:

Back