• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Almost forgot how good "old school" amps are.

Wow , I just replaced the amps in my car with two old school gems from my collection , PPI a404.2 for the mids (bridged to 2 chan.) and a600.2 for the sub - probably spent two hours sitting in the car just listening - I can't believe how bad some of the stuff they make these days sounds.

PPI, US Amps, Zapco, Orion. There are so many old skool amps that were built to really sing. Aot of this new stuff is made production line and cheap. Where as the old skool stuff had hand picked components and were hand assembled.

Now days components are made to look good with not much thought on how they perform. Really sad.

US Amps, Orion, wow thats a blast from the past, I think I might have a 2 channel white US Amps sitting in my garage somewhere, took it outta my old Honda those old college days, yikes

I still have a Rockford, Power 300 and Power 650. I agree, they just don't make them like they use to, back in the good old days when amps were rated at 4 ohms RMS. :cool:

Yea there where some US AMPS rated at 1ohm stable,, those rocked so hard,,

Yes, and most of those old school amps can handle 1ohms but they are anything but stable. :wink: Even with the best equipment, the dampening factor is almost nonexistent at that level leading excessive speaker wear.

I'm kicking myself for selling my McIntosh amp. That thing was something else...

PPI rocks! Soundstream too, but don't know about their new stuff.

The problem I have with old amps is that the internals do get old (i.e. the capacitors dry out, etc...) which makes them not as good anymore. Same problem we all have with the Bose speakers amps.

I'm kicking myself for selling my McIntosh amp. That thing was something else...

PPI rocks! Soundstream too, but don't know about their new stuff.

The problem I have with old amps is that the internals do get old (i.e. the capacitors dry out, etc...) which makes them not as good anymore. Same problem we all have with the Bose speakers amps.

And what do we do with old parts? Get them replaced with something better and would last longer.

Hey jlsnyder, PM of email me if you want to sell those RF's :smile:

And what do we do with old parts? Get them replaced with something better and would last longer.

Hey jlsnyder, PM of email me if you want to sell those RF's :smile:

I have my 300 in a friends boat still cranking like it was brand new and I'm waiting to find another 650 for a new project. Hopefully I will run across one on eBay....

I do have an custom 300 shroud and OEQ 1 that I would sell... :smile:

DSC06258.jpg

I have some old ADS stuff that I have never used and thought about putting in my NSX, However I am concerned that it is to old. See attachmnets. What do you think?

Attachments

• CCF00172008_00008.jpg
    CCF00172008_00008.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 83
  • CCF00172008_00009.jpg
    CCF00172008_00009.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 71
  • CCF00172008_00006.jpg
    CCF00172008_00006.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 68
The Pictures of the placements look good, wonder whats it would sound like mounted like that behind the seats? dunno

I have some old ADS stuff that I have never used and thought about putting in my NSX, However I am concerned that it is to old. See attachmnets. What do you think?

Ahh, the nostalgia............. :cool:

I have a fellow old school stereo installer that lives across the street. He still has a RX7 with a rather involved system he built over twenty years ago. It has all Fosgate, and ADS equipment through out. The system still works as if it was still 1999 :biggrin: Seriously! :smile: I wouldn't think twice...

You can't go wrong with A/D/S - but personally I don't like the placement behind the seats (or any rear fill at all) and I would definitely think twice before cutting into NSX door panels or dash. I would find a tweeter locatoin that allows a more stealty install (even if you lose a small amount of imaging)

just my 2¢

Here's a little sample of my "collection" - this is just the tip of the iceburg believe it or not...

Attachments

• IMG_0612.jpg
    IMG_0612.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 128
You can't go wrong with A/D/S - but personally I don't like the placement behind the seats (or any rear fill at all) and I would definitely think twice before cutting into NSX door panels or dash. I would find a tweeter locatoin that allows a more stealty install (even if you lose a small amount of imaging)

just my 2¢
I like the front imaging/staging also and don't normally run any rear speakers too. I'm right with you on the cutting of the door panels. No tweeter is worth cutting into OEM panels like that. I use to cringe when I was asked by friends to hole saw tweeters into perfectly nice panels.

Here's a little sample of my "collection" - this is just the tip of the iceburg believe it or not...
Orion, Soundstream, PPI, oh man... I feel like you're my long lost twin. AWESOME

Wow, that brings back memories... :biggrin: Are those linear amps on the top roll in the middle?

^^ you better believe it!!!

I was thinking of old school like the Sanyo and Sherwood amps from the 80s.

Anyone remembers the Alpine's gooseneck EQ?

I know of one guy who has/had maybe 100k+ worth of amplifiers. This guy is a SERIOUS collector/seller. He has old and new gear, rare hard to find amps, expensive amps, you name it he has/had it. To this date I have no idea what he does for a living but damn he has tons of amps!:eek:

I too agree with the above comments, forget that dash tweeter install.

I was able to fab in my car an active 3 way setup. I have to admit that it sounds really good.

jlsnyder...what a coincidence, I use to own an RX7 with full Fosgate line up. I'm sure it would be running today if I still had the car.

I was thinking of old school like the Sanyo and Sherwood amps from the 80s.

Anyone remembers the Alpine's gooseneck EQ?

Actually I just removed an alpine gooseneck from a car a couple years ago!

Wow you guys are in the same era I was.....orions, ppi, soundstreams, zapco, etc etc

I am running a zapco competition amp for my system.

Back