• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Alpine radio won't power up

Hi everyone,
I’m trying to replace my year 2000 OEM radio with an Alpine W650 unit. I have the SOS wiring harness for aftermarket stereo and OEM amplifiers/speakers.

The Alpine won’t power up. The NSX connector A5 (Yel/Red) ACC, has 0V when off and 12V at ACC. Connector A6 (White/Yel) switched power, has 0V when off and 1.6V at ACC. NSX connector A14 (Blk) ground, is grounded to the radio and to the chassis. The 10A radio fuse is good. I verified that the radio is good. Any suggestions for troubleshooting before I hand it to a radio shop?

>Connector A6 (White/Yel) switched power, has 0V when off and 1.6V at ACC.

This is your issue. Where are you testing the voltage?

I'm measuring the voltage at the Alpine radio connector.

So, from the Alpine side, Red ACC is 12V and Yellow Batt is 1.6V.

Not sure it was just a typo or I mis-understood your comment but probably you got confused with the definition of 'Switched +B' between OEM head unit and the aftermarket one.
OEM A6 is PNK/WHT and not WHT/YEL.

A6 PNK/WHT is the Switched +B output, at +Ve only when the head unit is switched ON.
Therefore, at low level when the OEM head unit is OFF.

Used for activating the speaker relay and the power antenna motor.

Will refer your aftermarket Alpine W650 as 'ICE' below.

ICE BATT (YEL) < -- OEM A4 (WHT/YEL); Backup VBu

ICE ACC (RED) < -- OEM A5 (YEL/RED); Main power supply

ICE REMO (BLU/WHT) - - > OEM A6 (PNK/WHT) if keeping the OEM AMP/Speaker.
Separate OEM power antenna circuit from PNK/WHT wire and use [ ICE P. ANT (BLU) ] instead,
if you want activating the power antenna motor only when the ICE radio tuner is in use.

If using external aftermarket AMP, use ICE REMO as the trigger signal.

Kaz

Yes, you are correct, I gave the wrong pin number. I'm adding a photo of the connector to clarify which wires I am referring to.

But today I have a new problem. I started the car and the TCS and check engine light came on and stayed on. Is there any relation between the radio problem and the check engine light or is this just a coincidence.

NSX_SOS Connector.JPG

Addition to the above link by drew, you can also find the pinout diagram at the bottom lid of your OEM head unit.

Does the Clock at the top centre dashboard still keep the correct time?
Or simply, just check the 7.5A CLOCK fuse under the bonnet/hood.

If it's blown, you found the answer why you have no permanent battery power at ICE BATT (YEL) and A4 (WHT/YEL).
It's the backup battery power and being used by many controllers, devices including the TCS (95+ models).

If you start the engine with blown 7.5A fuse, it will trigger the TCS light on the 95+ models.

May related to CEL so use OBD2 code reader as you can't use the blue 2pin SCS method if the 7.5A fuse was blown.
TCS is not within the OBD stream so can't read it through the OBD2 port though.

If 7.5A fuse was fine, you are going to have fun trying to find where the open circuit is on the WHT/YEL wire….
Use SCS blue 2pin method to read the error code but put priority on the CEL
Leave the TCS until you first diagnose and fix the ECU (CEL) side.

Kaz

Thanks for the help. The problem is resolved. CEL and TCS lights were due to a blown clock fuse. Once that was fixed I used an ohmmeter to check the radio fuse (which looked OK visually) and I had to replace that also. Now, everything is working fine. thanks again for your suggestions.

The Alpine won’t power up. The NSX connector emi calculator gst loginhttps://gstseva.co.in/gst-login/[color=#000000 ifsc code
A5 (Yel/Red) ACC, has 0V when off and 12V at ACC. Connector A6 (White/Yel) switched power, has 0V when off and 1.6V at ACC. NSX connector A14 (Blk) ground, is grounded to the radio and to the chassis. The 10A radio fuse is good. I verified that the radio is good. Any suggestions for troubleshooting before I hand it to a radio shop?​
[/COLOR]<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc ;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>

>Connector A6 (White/Yel) switched power, has 0V when off and 1.6V at ACC.

Should be +12V.

Verify, and if so, run a hot jumper and radio should turn on.

Back