• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Amsoil oil/ trans fluid v.s. Royal purple

I know some people are brand biased. Is there anyone who has any info that would prove why amsoil would be better than royal purple oil and trans fluid. Im currently using royal purple oil and trans fluid but its time to change both fluids.

Unless you are able to fully understand the oil spec sheet that engineers look at, we normal folk will only have opinions. As far as trans fluid most seem to run the Honda MTF

racinggraph.jpg

I run Amsoil in all of my cars/truck tranny since I really do notice that it shifts smoother, which is important to me.

I've tried MTL from Honda, Redline MTL and MT-90 and in the RX7 -Redline MTL and MT-90 and Royal Purple and I still came back to the Amsoil Syncromesh.

The other high end synthetics are Torco and Neo Oil. Torco is used in the UAV after the US military conducted a secret durability test of the various synthetics out there. Torco didn't even know that this was going on until the winner was picked.

Neo Oil is suppose to be the most commonly used synthetic in F1 cars. And last I checked they can customize the formulation to ur specific requirements.

I ran Amsoil syncromesh for 2 years with zero issues. I was about to order another round for my 2 year trans service when someone pointed out the Amsoil is not recommended for early NSX's with the limited slip. I have since put Honda MTF back in but would love some more feedback on the Amsoil.

There are a few problems with that chart. One is that it is of different weight motor oil than what we run and second it was conducted in 2005 which is approaching a decade old technology and that makes a huge difference in additive packages. I am not saying that one manufacturer is better than the others, just that the oil you can buy today is not the same as the oil you could buy back then so if there were an updated test put forth with the modern oils then we would know which is better. What that chart shows is simply that at one point in time that amsoil beat the competion in one area which says nothing about today just like buick built a car faster then the corvette.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and the 4 ball wear test does not really show what takes place inside of an engine with variable loads, speeds, temps, etc. that take place. Large companies use engines to test their products and will warrenty your engine for around 400k miles.

I know this chart is old. So far no one else has provided any other comparison.

I've also had to switch out my RX7 trans when I was running Redline - twice. The second time I had the mechanic open it up and the syncros were looking worn.

On the 3rd trans I ran Amsoil and there wasn't any issues since.

The LSx guys also seem to prefer Amsoil over everything else. Domestic folks seems to have much more experience and collective knowledge base than the NSX guys. The delta is vast.

View attachment 101506

I run Amsoil in all of my cars/truck tranny since I really do notice that it shifts smoother, which is important to me.

I've tried MTL from Honda, Redline MTL and MT-90 and in the RX7 -Redline MTL and MT-90 and Royal Purple and I still came back to the Amsoil Syncromesh.

The other high end synthetics are Torco and Neo Oil. Torco is used in the UAV after the US military conducted a secret durability test of the various synthetics out there. Torco didn't even know that this was going on until the winner was picked.

Neo Oil is suppose to be the most commonly used synthetic in F1 cars. And last I checked they can customize the formulation to ur specific requirements.

Id asume the data would be similar regardless of the weight of oil?

Trans oil i run Honda MTF as recommended by most on Prime.

Engine oil i run Royal purple XRP,

have a look at this oil test comparison http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

Keeping in mind this is now old and oil has improved even more. Royal Purple Racing 51 has been replaced by RP XPR.

Oil is one of the most important parts of the engine. I replace mine twice to three times a year, i check my oil every time i take my car out. I only do about 3000 miles a year. XPR is expensive however the results clearly show it's one of the best oils so it's worth it in my opinion. I don't think AMS oil was in that test.

Be careful when buying Royal Purple as they have re branded their range since that article. I believe they now offer 3 lines. Normal, HPS and XPR. I think HPS is the replacement but improved version as the other RP in that article which still is better than most. XPR is even better however you need to change the oil more frequently as they advice however this will go for most high performance oils so run on the assumption you will be doing more changes!

Honda White Cap. Period.

Your NSX has a wet clutch type limited slip diff. That means there are lots of small discs inside the diff that use friction to lock and unlock and are bathed in trans fluid. Only the Honda fluid has been tested to work in this environment without damage. Amsoil specifically says NOT to use in wet clutch type diffs. You will not know you are ruining your diff while driving unless 1. you open up the trans and inspect it; or 2. the diff finally fails and you lose all locking function- even then it would be hard to notice unless on a race course. So the people that run these aftermarket fluids are tootling along thinking everything is AWESOME while their diff is slowly burning out inside the gearcase. A new diff is $$$$$$. Why risk it? Use the Honda stuff.

Some good comparisons worth looking into would be MOTUL, ENEOS, and Total Quaker. I have a friend who said good things about the two Euro Oil (Motul and Eneos). They are expensive $12.50-$15.00) a quart, but his Toyota currently has 650k miles. :eek:

Honda White Cap. Period.

Your NSX has a wet clutch type limited slip diff. That means there are lots of small discs inside the diff that use friction to lock and unlock and are bathed in trans fluid. Only the Honda fluid has been tested to work in this environment without damage. Amsoil specifically says NOT to use in wet clutch type diffs. You will not know you are ruining your diff while driving unless 1. you open up the trans and inspect it; or 2. the diff finally fails and you lose all locking function- even then it would be hard to notice unless on a race course. So the people that run these aftermarket fluids are tootling along thinking everything is AWESOME while their diff is slowly burning out inside the gearcase. A new diff is $$$$$$. Why risk it? Use the Honda stuff.

I see what you are saying but honda cant be the only company that makes fluid for our tranny, my car/ trans has almost 100k and im just looking for something that will have added protection now that it has seen a few miles.

Last edited:
I see what you are saying but honda cant be the only company that makes fluid for our tranny, my car/ trans has almost 100k and im just looking for something that will have added protection now that it has seen a few miles.

I'm trying to say what you buy will probably offer less protection than the Honda fluid.

is this protection relative to how hard you hammer the car where the LSD needs to start to work?

Since I run 285 wide tires that are Extreme rated, it's very very hard to have wheel spin in the straights for example.

I run 295's lol and havent ever spun them once

The question I've never heard asked here before: Who actually makes Honda's motor oil/trans fluid? Honda? Surely they don't manufacture their own oils. Surely it's sourced out. I would love to get the correct answer.

I'm trying to say what you buy will probably offer less protection than the Honda

Amsoil syncromesh trans fluid said this " Replaces Honda Genuine MTF fluid for manual transaxles and Texaco MTX fluid. Not for use in engines, hypoid rear axles, limited-slip or wet-clutch applications." So it looks like that type wont work.

Last edited:
I have over 115k miles on mine and have been using the honda mtf with zero issues

Amsoil syncromesh trans fluid said this " Replaces Honda Genuine MTF fluid for manual transaxles and Texaco MTX fluid. Not for use in engines, hypoid rear axles, limited-slip or wet-clutch applications." So it looks like that type wont work.

Based on Amsoil's statement does that mean that it won't let your LSD perform as it should or does it mean that there is actual damage to your LSD?

So far, I have many tens of thousands of miles with Amsoil in the NSX tranny and haven't had any signs or sounds of failure.

- - - Updated - - -

I run 295's lol and havent ever spun them once

There should be a sticky where once u use wide enough and sticky enough tires u don't need and LSD.... for the street at least.

OP: For the transmission, many people use the 2 parts GM Syncromesh Friction Modified and 1 part GM Syncromesh Non-Modified. I haven't personally tried it yet but will be for this year's year end maintenance. I have to somewhat agree with Honcho though, if you want to be safe then use only Honda White Cap. It might not make shifting buttery smooth like aftermarket/other branded oils, but for sure you can have a peace of mind using it knowing that it shouldn't damage/increase wear. As for Royal Purple Syncromesh/MTF, forget it. Actually anything RP I really don't like. Tried it on my DD BMW 335i because many on e90post says it makes the car shift silky smooth. It did for a while, then the smoothness weared off and became normal again after 1k miles or something.

Same for motor oil, RP sheers extremely fast, while initial it did quiet down the engine and makes engine rev more smooth, it wont take long until it goes back to normal or even worst than before. I love the colour purple don't get me wrong, but why purple motor oil? You can't tell if it's clean or not afterwards. So meh, i think RP is overated.

I have use ENEOS for a long time and currently still run ENEOS oil on my parent's JDM vehicles. Having good results, oil stays relatively clean (still golden coloured after change), little to no oil consumption, revs happier and car just rides much smoother. I used MOTUL 300v in my NSX, 335i DD, and my family hauler E63 and again, excellent results. In cars like my 335i (tuned) and E63 oil consumption is a big issue and switching from OEM oils to MOTUL i have almost eliminated that problem. Again, smooth buttery revs, better idling, it even made shifting smoother (placebo? i don't know why). MOTUL 300v is overpriced but if you can afford it, try it out!! Good Luck and have fun!

I'm with you on Royal Purple.

I'm not impressed with it at all. I think they are more interested in spending marketing $$$ on stuff like product placement in movies like Transformers, etc.

I've lost faith in Redline oil, except their SI-1 injector cleaner. That stuff is great.

I'm with you on Royal Purple.

I'm not impressed with it at all. I think they are more interested in spending marketing $$$ on stuff like product placement in movies like Transformers, etc.

I've lost faith in Redline oil, except their SI-1 injector cleaner. That stuff is great.

I have royal purple trans fluid and it did the same thing for me. The first few months it did away with my second gear grind, but its now back the same as it was before

Back