• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

An NSX newbie (again!)

Greetings fellow NSX pilots!

I just purchased an NSX (again, I once had a red one a few years back but had to sell, but am back again!) - a 1993 model, metallic silver with 120k miles on the clock. The paint and interior are in fantastic shape (I will post picture once I learn how to do it!), engine runs smoothly with no smoke. The shifter and trans feel brand new with absolutely no slop or looseness. The clutch is a little lighter than the 91 I had and not as grabby. But I do know it is also probably due for a new clutch soon too

The car has a few upgrades - notably the wheels, which are the 17s from the 1997 model and H&R lowering springs. The maintenance records show the basics were done - new regulators for the windows, gearbox overhaul, belt changes, oil changes, a/c condenser.

I realize I am taking a little bit of risk, purchasing an older one with more miles but so far this "old guy" seems to be in great shape! There are some things I need to work on: first, those "cool" lowering springs absolutely suck. The car is so low that it scrapes everything; I have even had to crawl under and remove trash that was dragging. Definitely not "cool". Next, the car has some extra dark tint on the rear windows - once again it might look cool but I can't see anything out of it, especially at night. The last thing i need to take care of are the rattles coming fro the instrument panel. Old age I guess (if anyone has help here just fire away!). I am surprised at how well it still steers and handles; just no softness or drift. It even feels better than the 91 I had (that one had only 55k miles).

Anyways just want to introduce myslef and say "hi" to the NSX community!

Kyle

Welcome. It hard to believe that springs lower the car so much that your bottoming out everywhere. Lets see some pics.

Congratulations on the purchase. As long as these cars are maintained, the age and number of miles you have should not be a problem. Enjoy.

Scrapes everything? Pics and setup details please. Mine scrapes too as I have lowest on KW 3s and not everything.

I was told the car has H&R springs on stock shocks. It doesn't look too bad in the picture but the tire profile is not parallel with the wheel arch - this is just my opinion by the way. But the car definitely scrapes on every driveway, shoot, it even rubs the front lip on street dips.

Kyle

Attachments

• tire profile.jpg
    tire profile.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 325
H&R springs on stock shocks are going to lower the car 1.5", even lower with ones that are OEM and worn out. It's no wonder you scrape everywhere. You're also putting undue stress on the steering rack which will also cause premature wear. These cars were not engineered for this.

Congrats! Looks like a beauty. 120k miles means your car is just "experienced" :biggrin:

H&R springs on stock shocks are going to lower the car 1.5", even lower with ones that are OEM and worn out. It's no wonder you scrape everywhere. You're also putting undue stress on the steering rack which will also cause premature wear. These cars were not engineered for this.
There will always be the purists.......

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate for a second lowering a stock NSX by 1.5"

Congrats Kyle! I also have a 93 (red/black), purchased with 124k miles and now has 133k on the odometer. It's been pretty solid so far, but the clutch/tb/wp will probably need to be replaced this year. Welcome back!

Dump the springs and get some coilovers. Then you can raise it a little where it doesn't scrape and still looks good.

welcome..those oem shocks are likely shot and worse can't control the springs oscillation......the HR springs need stronger aftermarket shocks and shorter stroke than oem......so try a change.

Hi Kyle, congrats and welcome back! Those wheels are in fact from the 2002-05 and not the 1997 as you were told. They look great! So does the car!

I guess Iv'e been away longer than I thought! Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

welcome..those oem shocks are likely shot and worse can't control the springs oscillation......the HR springs need stronger aftermarket shocks and shorter stroke than oem......so try a change.

The standard shocks seem ok - no leaks, damping is quick (no oscillation). But I do get the point - the stockers aren't meant to be operated so close to the travel limit. I am thinking of getting stock springs to get back the ride height and not worry about anything. Thoughts?

Kyle

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats Kyle! I also have a 93 (red/black), purchased with 124k miles and now has 133k on the odometer. It's been pretty solid so far, but the clutch/tb/wp will probably need to be replaced this year. Welcome back!

Thanks PHOEN$X! 119k and no smoke, runs like a champ. Just got my insurance in too - 88 bucks for six months!

PS.......has anybody really looked at my pic and noticed the windshield wipers are NOT there??!! Previous owner took them off!

I will trade you my mint 16/17 rims for yours I have brand new tires even swap LOL those rims are what people are tring to get their hands on right now.
so dont trade them, keep them.

nice car. miles dont mean shit. its not a lexus or BMW or mercedes those cars can hardly make it to 80K miles.

have fun with the car and like we all say they always come back.

if you need windsheild wipers PM me I have a few sets.

Last edited:
Back