• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

'and it was a good powertrain'

So for all those people posting negative comments about the drive train and electric this and that and its not the same as the original car and I like the original one more because it has a stick (blah blah blah) did no one notice at 21 minutes into the unveiling video Ted Klaus talked about the original transverse mounted NA engine they had in the blue car @Mid Ohio Indy Car Race.
Maybe for those of you/us who don't like the new one there might be an engine upgrade out there that might be worth finding out about for the old model.
FWIW I love the new model and think it does the NSX name proud as it is about new technology but am I getting one soon, not likely as we don't know if Honda NZ will bring one in so upgrading the old one is still a priority for now.

Last edited:
Are you seriously thinking there would be someone to swap longitudinal for transverse? Makes no sense. Also I don't believe they didn't have current layout from the get go. Until I see pictures of that blue prototype I have no reasons to believe. It would be weird decision given caliber of the project and especially the stage they claim they refactored everything.

If you take a look at the picture with the internals of the new NSX displayed, you can see the gearbox sticked out past the rear wheels.
That's a very long drivetrain which simply doesn't fit into the car transversely.

Someone didn't read very carefully. The OP's point was that the blue car had a transverse configuration.

i got that part, but he lost me at the engine upgrade bit. OP, did you mean that the blue car's transverse engine might be found & used for our 1st Gen NSXs? Seems highly unlikely that engine is even in production, unless it's a similar J series to the RLX

http://jalopnik.com/new-acura-nsx-was-totally-reengineered-in-18-months-ha-1679196996

New Acura NSX Was Totally Reengineered In 18 Months, Has At Least 550 HP

The gestation period of the 2016 Acura NSX feels like it has taken forever, but in reality this car has taken just three years to go from concept to production car. That's incredibly fast. Especially considering that the entire powertrain concept changed less than two years ago.

In a conversation with Ted Klaus, the chief engineer of the new NSX, we were told that the layout of the NSX changed from transverse to longitudinal. The switch in layout was made to increase flexibility in the powertrain as well as for packaging reasons.

This made for a number of changes. Since the last concept, the NSX has grown by three inches in length and an inch in width. It's gone from a naturally aspirated off the shelf engine to a clean sheet design twin turbocharged V6 with a 75 degree v-angle. Right now, this engine will only be in the NSX and the entire hybrid system will make at least 550 horsepower.

At least. That's double the power of the old NSX. Double.

The changes allowed for better packaging of the hybrid system. It also let them have the ability to upgrade the system in the future since it isn't as tight. Yes, some of the weight of the transmission now shifts behind the rear axle, which does create some issues for weight transfer and packaging, but the team thought that the tradeoff would be worth it.

As for driving it, Klaus says that the driving experience is analog. Yes, a hybrid with three electric motors and a nine-speed dual clutch "feels analog." Obviously, I can't judge because I haven't driven it, but if they accomplished that, it's great.

The NSX also uses its hybrid system for torque fill, like the McLaren P1. They say it has constant thrust, like a Tesla that doesn't top out. The engine and electric motors work together to keep torque constant, they call it an instant launch.

We were told that the batteries stay in a constant state of charge so that they don't drain and compromise performance on the track. Oh, and it can carry a golf bag and a couple overnight bags. Though if you plan on doing that perhaps you should buy one of Acura's more golf-y products.

We'll be driving the NSX later this year. We'll see if it lives up to the promise. I'm cautiously excited.

Back