• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Another AC question

I just noticed an odd symptom with my ac system: .

1. When in the fully automatic mode, the blower will only work when the temperature is set at the coldest setting, ie 60 degrees. If I turn the temp setting to any warmer setting, the blower shuts off . To get the ac to work again, I must turn the temp back to 60 degrees again. When the blower is on it's at the highest setting and will freeze me out of the car in seconds!

2. When in semi-automatic mode, I can set the temperature anywhere , but again, the blower will only work if I turn it to the highest postion. So, in this mode, I can regulate the temperature, but I must keep the blower at the highest setting again. If I lower the blower setting to a lesser force, it shuts off.

I checked the 2 10 amp fuses in the front box and both are OK and the condenser fan are working. I assume the blower relay is OK too because the blower does work--but, as noted, only in the highest position. What can be causing this symptom ? Any help would be much appreciated.

You have the very common problem of "the fan will only run on high". 95% of the time it's a problem with the Climate Control Unit and the other %5 the power transistor has failed because the blower motor has a problem.

PM me for CCU repair options and pricing.

OK, Brian--i sent you a PM. Could this symptom possibly be due to dirty/corroded contacts on the blower switch/or connections? It seems odd that it would only work on a certain setting ?

i was havin the same symptoms, but now it gotten worse. the fan is constantly on when i start the car. i cant turn it off and its warm air too not cool air. i plan on havin the it rebuilt, but for now is there any fuse i can pull out so i can still drive the car? cause its very uncomfortable to drive with warm air blowin at u, ecspecially since i live in florida

Doc308 said:
OK, Brian--i sent you a PM. Could this symptom possibly be due to dirty/corroded contacts on the blower switch/or connections? It seems odd that it would only work on a certain setting ?

The variable speed operation of the fan is controlled by the power transistor which is controlled by the CCU. When you go to max or min temp. setting on the CCU the transistor is bypassed by the blower high relay so it seems that is working correctly.

K said:
i was havin the same symptoms, but now it gotten worse. the fan is constantly on when i start the car. i cant turn it off and its warm air too not cool air. i plan on havin the it rebuilt, but for now is there any fuse i can pull out so i can still drive the car? cause its very uncomfortable to drive with warm air blowin at u, ecspecially since i live in florida

I believe fuse #28 feeds the blower but you still get warm air. It's likelly that the part of the CCU the controls the Mix motor has failed so it is stuck with the water valve open part way causing the warm air. Run the test procedure http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/climate_control.htm.

To both DOC308 and K, I just got my CCU back from Briank after the fan only ran on high problem occured on my 98. I took it out and reinstalled it after reading the many suggestions a search turned up. Not a bad job. Take your time, read and follow the directions. I think it was about a half hour each way. And Brian got it back to me quickly, though that may vary with how many have been sent him. It was very satisfying to do the job, and save lots of dollars. My Acura dealer was going to replace the power transistor for $4-500, and that would not have solved my problem.

Neil

Covers everything very well except the removal of the vent, releasing the clips at the bottom. As Briank said in a prior post, easy to do, hard to explain.

neilh said:
Covers everything very well except the removal of the vent, releasing the clips at the bottom. As Briank said in a prior post, easy to do, hard to explain.

The clips are right located right above the CCU knobs. I use a .015 feeler gauge and go in to the inside of them and release them with a sweeping motion.

Back