• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Another Friendly Jalopnik Review of a 2019

People are coming around to this car. I remember in the 90's, the NSX was disparaged as a "wannabe" Ferrari for people who couldn't afford a real exotic. The car mags called the design, which we now all agree is timeless and beautiful, "derivative" or worse, a "knockoff" of a European wedge exotic. With the car achieving legendary status now, it's hard to remember that 25 years ago, the NSX was not considered that great. Then you had the tire class action- a class action!- over the aggressive toe settings that were designed to give the car its unique handling dynamic. And then right after that, people's transmissions started grenading due to the snap ring. Can you imagine someone, like the surgeon who bought my first NSX (#1120) in St. Louis for $120,000- a $60,000 dealer markup over MSRP- having those two things happen in the first couple years of owning the car? I'm sure if there was social media back then, it would be ON FIRE all over the place about that stuff. I think now that the hysteria is dying down, people are starting to see the NC1 for what it is- a really fantastic value proposition over the competition and a great supercar in its own right. My only wish is that it pulled more style cues from the original. You look at any generation mid-V8 Ferrari and you know it's a Ferrari. You look at any generation 911 and you know it's a 911. Same with Corvette even. Not the case with the NC1. That's solvable, though. Lengthen the tail, add back the trapezoid rear light and change the headlights from wrapping around the fenders to over them a-la HSV-10 and you've got a winner. The underlying platform is superb and can be tweaked for performance. Just update the styling. Maybe for the major model refresh in 2021/22? One can hope...

Honcho. They still aren’t selling well off the floor. The used market is also very slow and prices are falling every month on Manheim. You can get an extremely low miles 2017 with a MSRP close to $190k for $130k. It still has an image problem unfortunately. I enjoyed mine, but the problems aside from my recent issue started in my second month of ownership.

People are coming around to this car. I remember in the 90's, the NSX was disparaged as a "wannabe" Ferrari for people who couldn't afford a real exotic. The car mags called the design, which we now all agree is timeless and beautiful, "derivative" or worse, a "knockoff" of a European wedge exotic. With the car achieving legendary status now, it's hard to remember that 25 years ago, the NSX was not considered that great. Then you had the tire class action- a class action!- over the aggressive toe settings that were designed to give the car its unique handling dynamic. And then right after that, people's transmissions started grenading due to the snap ring. Can you imagine someone, like the surgeon who bought my first NSX (#1120) in St. Louis for $120,000- a $60,000 dealer markup over MSRP- having those two things happen in the first couple years of owning the car? I'm sure if there was social media back then, it would be ON FIRE all over the place about that stuff. I think now that the hysteria is dying down, people are starting to see the NC1 for what it is- a really fantastic value proposition over the competition and a great supercar in its own right. My only wish is that it pulled more style cues from the original. You look at any generation mid-V8 Ferrari and you know it's a Ferrari. You look at any generation 911 and you know it's a 911. Same with Corvette even. Not the case with the NC1. That's solvable, though. Lengthen the tail, add back the trapezoid rear light and change the headlights from wrapping around the fenders to over them a-la HSV-10 and you've got a winner. The underlying platform is superb and can be tweaked for performance. Just update the styling. Maybe for the major model refresh in 2021/22? One can hope...

Very well said.

Honcho. They still aren’t selling well off the floor. The used market is also very slow and prices are falling every month on Manheim. You can get an extremely low miles 2017 with a MSRP close to $190k for $130k. It still has an image problem unfortunately. I enjoyed mine, but the problems aside from my recent issue started in my second month of ownership.

Totally get it. I think the culprit is foremost that the car is not the old "legendary" NSX, which is how it was portrayed in the early reviews. That hurt a lot, I think. Now, however, I think the media is coming to realize it's actually a pretty amazing car, especially with the 2019 updates. But, I think the slow sales are also a function of price and styling misses. Those are largely solvable. It will be interesting to see if the more recent positive press will influence sales at all. I'd like to see the car continue and be tweaked to deliver what the market is asking for: more connection to the past in terms of style, better infotainment system, more power/performance to keep up with the competition, and high-end (high margin) trims like Type S and Type R. According to Rolled on temple of VTEC, the major refresh is going to be a full carbon tub with lots more power. That would be a shame, as it will drive price even higher and I think the current base chassis is a brilliant piece of engineering with a lot of upgrade potential.

Honcho - You have about nailed it here.

1. Fix the rear end: 1. Lengthen the tail, 2. Lose the vertical point line that bifurcates the trunk/bumper, and 3. add a built in spoiler ala NA1. (how annoying that the new 488 now has one but the new NSX doesn't!)

2. Fix the front: 1. Simplify the design, 2. Change the headlights from hanging to built-in, and 3. Lower and shorten the nose.

3. Add a little more power so that the car can actually be driven in electric mode.

4. Upgrade the screens and add some cubbies.

WINNER.

Totally get it. I think the culprit is foremost that the car is not the old "legendary" NSX, which is how it was portrayed in the early reviews. That hurt a lot, I think. Now, however, I think the media is coming to realize it's actually a pretty amazing car, especially with the 2019 updates. But, I think the slow sales are also a function of price and styling misses. Those are largely solvable. It will be interesting to see if the more recent positive press will influence sales at all. I'd like to see the car continue and be tweaked to deliver what the market is asking for: more connection to the past in terms of style, better infotainment system, more power/performance to keep up with the competition, and high-end (high margin) trims like Type S and Type R. According to Rolled on temple of VTEC, the major refresh is going to be a full carbon tub with lots more power. That would be a shame, as it will drive price even higher and I think the current base chassis is a brilliant piece of engineering with a lot of upgrade potential.

Again love your perspective.

The carbon fiber is getting cheaper so it may not be much more. And maybe the take the engine in house saving a bunch of money there as well (I read somewhere the Cosworth engine costs $75,000!!!)

Also, This may be the only way they get to convertible or targa as the current car seems to need the heavy roof rails for strength?

But overall, I agree - they need to bring the price down.

I'd still rather buy a boat and at least be called a captain while my ship is sinking.:biggrin:

Until you own one and experience first hand how owners of a halo car are mistreated, all that you mention will have no effect on increasing sales of the car.

Until you own one and experience first hand how owners of a halo car are mistreated, all that you mention will have no effect on increasing sales of the car.

Garbage. Enough already. We get it. You had a bad experience with your car. No reason to continue to hang out here just to bash.

Most of us have had great experiences with the car. Acura has treated me very well. The only contact I've had with Acura is when they send me gifts or Sergio calls me to make sure I'm happy. And I am.

Garbage. Enough already. We get it. You had a bad experience with your car. No reason to continue to hang out here just to bash.

Most of us have had great experiences with the car. Acura has treated me very well. The only contact I've had with Acura is when they send me gifts or Sergio calls me to make sure I'm happy. And I am.

That's great. I'm happy for you.

Are you trying to suppress my opinions and experience with the NSX? Do I not have real world experiences that are the extreme opposite of yours?

-Cheers.

Are you trying to suppress my opinions and experience with the NSX? Do I not have real world experiences that are the extreme opposite of yours?

-Cheers.

NO, he's just providing a counterpoint. I've been treated exceptionally well by Acura as well. Car is amazing.

Every manufacturer has duds - see McLaren forums, GT3 engines, go read Ferrarichat. It happens.

-Cheers.

Your experience was your experience. You are part of a very small group that has had issues with their cars. You're spouting off like your experience is the norm, and it's not.

You also are conspicuously silent on the fact that your car didn't have issues until after the local dealer got ahold of it. That surely does not mean Acura is putting out an inferior product as your posts keep alluding.

Now that your car is gone, what is the point of still posting on this forum? Just to bash?

Whatever. It's a beautiful sunny day, and I'm off to drive my NSX. Cheers!

FWIW......DocL has been a member of Prime for 19 years

I was posting about problems from the second month owned the car. Acura was supposed to finalize the settlement but it's been almost a month now.

FWIW......DocL has been a member of Prime for 19 years
FWIW, not just a "member", but a contributing member, and major supporter and fan!

I was posting about problems from the second month owned the car. Acura was supposed to finalize the settlement but it's been almost a month now.
Yes, the dealer is responsible for the problems, when executing the recall, and since that time, nobody has stepped up to do the right thing by DocL, as he continues to make payments on a car that's not safe to drive. If this happened to anyone here, I'm sure that they wouldn't be acting any differently than DocL has. I for one, hope that they step up, and bring this to a conclusion sooner, rather than later! Well overdue!!!!

FWIW, not just a "member", but a contributing member, and major supporter and fan!

Great point. These tough guys haven't even donated $10 to help with the costs to run this site.

Yes, the dealer is responsible for the problems, when executing the recall, and since that time, nobody has stepped up to do the right thing by DocL, as he continues to make payments on a car that's not safe to drive. If this happened to anyone here, I'm sure that they wouldn't be acting any differently than DocL has. I for one, hope that they step up, and bring this to a conclusion sooner, rather than later! Well overdue!!!!

The dealer is not responsible. It is Acura's responsibility to make sure the car conforms to the minimum standard, which it doesn't. As of today I am still waiting for instructions on when and where to return my car. I haven't even opened the door since Jan.

Back