• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Antenna Options?

This looks absolutely awesome.

whealy said:
Thanks to all the info posted here ... I'm another happy customer.

attachment.php

menuserve said:
This looks absolutely awesome.

I recently just installed the locustom shark II antenna myself. It only took me 10 minutes. I'm def. a happy camper, and it was cheap, easy to install and looks good. What more can you ask for? Just a question...is it ok, to just leave the power line dangling? DOes it do anything other than power the motor of the stock antenna?

Spinner said:
I recently just installed the locustom shark II antenna myself. It only took me 10 minutes. I'm def. a happy camper, and it was cheap, easy to install and looks good. What more can you ask for? Just a question...is it ok, to just leave the power line dangling? DOes it do anything other than power the motor of the stock antenna?

You're supposed to connect the power wire of the stock antenna to the power wire on the Shark Attack II. Thats what provides the power that amplifies the signal and thereby increasing your reception.

I just replaced my antenna with an S2K ant. I didnt get around to connecting the power wire for the ant amp, but didnt notice any signal loss. Radio sounds just as good if not better.

It looks great, specially on a black car. I apologize for not posting any pics, but you all have an idea already i'm sure.

Spinner said:

Spinner,

Did you have to run the wire all the way to the radio or can you splice off the existing wires?

Also, did you have to make the antenna hole in the quarter panel larger?

Thanks

orbusrex said:
Spinner,

Did you have to run the wire all the way to the radio or can you splice off the existing wires?

Also, did you have to make the antenna hole in the quarter panel larger?

Thanks

Sorry, I'm not Spinner, but I can probably answer your questions.

1) For the Shark Attack II antenna you splice the power from the antenna thats already there (its the power wire that retracts the automatic antenna). No running of wires needed!

2) For the Shark Attack II antenna, there is NO need to make the hole any larger.

If you buy the S2000 antenna, however, you WILL need to make it larger, but not with the Shark Attack II.

The installation instructions are here:
Shark Attack II installation instructions (not for S2000 antenna installs)

Has anyone put the Fuba on? It seems the slightly taller skinnier look better suits the sleek NSX better than the bulky shark...

Evoking said:
Has anyone put the Fuba on? It seems the slightly taller skinnier look better suits the sleek NSX better than the bulky shark...

The base is pretty much the same, and I actually took the antenna mast off of my VW Jetta's Fuba and attached it to the base of the Shark Attack. It matches up perfectly. I'll see about taking some pictures to show the difference.

how 'bout using the stock honda element antenna??

it appears more angled towards the back than the s2000,
which could look cooler. :cool:

i may try this route....

Was wondering if anyone has attempted to modify the factory monster? Maybe shave it down, cut, something one-off or all the above??

jalnjr said:
how 'bout using the stock honda element antenna??

it appears more angled towards the back than the s2000,
which could look cooler. :cool:

i may try this route....
me bad, base looks as huge, ungangly as
an element itself. would never work.

nsxtasy said:
You already have it. As it comes from the factory, the NSX has two antennas - the retractable mast antenna that extends (30 inches) when the stereo is on, and the antenna consisting of veins in the top third of the rear window. (Ever wonder why the top third of the "rear window defroster" doesn't work? It's because it's an antenna, not a defroster.) The radio includes a diversity feature that constantly selects between these two antennas for the stronger signal.
That's why I disconnected mine. Oh yeah - I never listen to the radio either.

I personally hate the S2000 antenna on the NSX. I wouldn't do that to my car unless they paid it off for me. I prefer the Smartenna & listen to CD's.

I disconnected the OEM antenna and installed a hidden window antenna that I got off of Amazon for about $9 in 2013. It works really well and sounds very clear. You stick it along the top of the front windshield and can run the wire down and behind the passenger side pillar cover. It is easy to pull off, no screws. Then run the wire under the glove box to the radio. You will have to pull the stereo out to hook the antenna up.

ZHOL® NEW Am-fm Hidden Windshield Antenna Car Radio Truck
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009CRMABY

Interesting. But I don't listen to radio, so I removed the antenna assembly and put a plug on it.

Back