• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any Chicago area Gen-2 owners? Can we set up some regional subforums?

This is a great forum and I found it extremely helpful when I was NSX shopping. I picked up my ride 2 days ago from McGrath Acura in Chicago. I live in the NW suburbs.

I'm sure there are several Chicago area owners and it would be great to have a subforum to exchange information and maybe set up some get-togethers.

Spiro

20180118_205355.jpg

I live in Dubuque and get into that area several times each summer, so let me know what's going on. I'd love to join. There aren't any other NSX owners here, gen 1 or 2. I plan to hit several track days at Blackhawk as well. If you've not been there, it's not fancy but it's a really well cared for track with a nice mix of corners and the owners are great.

Steve

I live in Dubuque and get into that area several times each summer, so let me know what's going on. I'd love to join. There aren't any other NSX owners here, gen 1 or 2. I plan to hit several track days at Blackhawk as well. If you've not been there, it's not fancy but it's a really well cared for track with a nice mix of corners and the owners are great.

Steve

I went to Blackhawk Farms for the first time this past October with my Ferrari...I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, since I am leasing the NSX, no tracking allowed. I'm hoping to get up to Road America this season.

I went to Blackhawk Farms for the first time this past October with my Ferrari...I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, since I am leasing the NSX, no tracking allowed. I'm hoping to get up to Road America this season.

How is the lease worded regarding tracks? Does it generically state "no use on a race track" or does it specifically say "use in racing events on a racetrack"? Open track days and HPDE events are often excluded from consideration as racing events. This thing begs to be on a track so it would be a shame that so many people who leased will miss out.

How is the lease worded regarding tracks? Does it generically state "no use on a race track" or does it specifically say "use in racing events on a racetrack"? Open track days and HPDE events are often excluded from consideration as racing events. This thing begs to be on a track so it would be a shame that so many people who leased will miss out.

It is worded much like my insurance policy. Excludes high performance events and any "on track" use, whether racing or not.

So what would happen if you participated in a track day and had an accident?
I imagine personal car Insurance would still pay to fix car?
What would Acura do since you violated the lease agreement? Want the car back?

So what would happen if you participated in a track day and had an accident?
I imagine personal car Insurance would still pay to fix car?
What would Acura do since you violated the lease agreement? Want the car back?

Actually, your personal auto insurance WILL NOT cover driving on a track either! You have to buy track insurance, and it ain't cheap! If you wanted to insure your NSX at Blackhawk Farms, mentioned above, for $150K in value, track insurance for the day is $826.00 with a 10% ($15,000) deductible.

As far as what would Acura do.....I didn't read that part of the lease to see how violations are handled. However, I have wondered if you crashed the car and it was repaired, would they hit you for diminished value?

Last edited:
Actually, your personal auto insurance WILL NOT cover driving on a track either! You have to buy track insurance, and it ain't cheap! If you wanted to insure your NSX at Blackhawk Farms, mentioned above, for $150K in value, track insurance for the day is $826.00 with a 10% ($15,000) deductible.

As far as what would Acura do.....I didn't read that part of the lease to see how violations are handled. However, I have wondered if you crashed the car and it was repaired, would they hit you for diminished value?

I didn't realize that about the track insurance, now I get it.

That's an interesting question regarding the diminished value. Did you see anything in the contract related to it?

I can't speak to the lease terms, but as for insurance, it depends on your policy. Mine specifically states the exclusion only applies if the vehicle is being "operated in, or practicing for, any prearranged or organized race, speed contest or other competition." HPDE and open track days with no timing and scoring are covered. I pay pretty high premiums compared to some I've seen on this forum though. $2200, 1100 and 450 per year for the NSX, 997 and 930 respectively. The 930 is classic and can only be driven 2500 miles per year.

Sorry to derail your gathering thread into a lease/insurance discussion, just hoping to get some other Gen 2 owners to Blackhawk this year. This was posted by a Gen 1 owner today. The dates are wrong, they should be April 21-22. http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...vernight-Trip-June-16th-17th?highlight=galena

Last edited:
I can't speak to the lease terms, but as for insurance, it depends on your policy. Mine specifically states the exclusion only applies if the vehicle is being "operated in, or practicing for, any prearranged or organized race, speed contest or other competition." HPDE and open track days with no timing and scoring are covered. I pay pretty high premiums compared to some I've seen on this forum though. $2200, 1100 and 450 per year for the NSX, 997 and 930 respectively. The 930 is classic and can only be driven 2500 miles per year.

Sorry to derail your gathering thread into a lease/insurance discussion, just hoping to get some other Gen 2 owners to Blackhawk this year. This was posted by a Gen 1 owner today. The dates are wrong, they should be April 21-22. http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...vernight-Trip-June-16th-17th?highlight=galena

Can you share which insurance company? I am paying around 1700 for my NSX and 1300 for my Ferrari with State Farm. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for insurance that covers HPDE non timed track events, because track insurance is VERY expensive.

Dang! my insurance for the NSX is $2,600 a year with allstate. I need to know what your secret is?
I'm married 45 no accidents or tickets

Last edited:
Well this is embarrassing. This insurance conversation got me wondering, so I asked my agent today about it. He said he thinks West Bend (my company) updated the language around track use and I might be looking at an old policy document. He's tracking down all of the current amendments and will send them to me. He's new to WB and it was the first time he's been asked, so he wasn't 100% sure.

It won't stop me from doing DE days regardless. I don't push any of my cars to 10/10ths anyway. I usually sign up for the novice group, even though I have done quite a few days there. I like to set my own pace and just have fun and a lot of the intermediate and advanced guys in their Corvettes and Turbo S's are constantly pushing you. I put my 930 off at turn 1 once due to my foot slipping of the brake at the worst possible moment, but there is plenty of run off and other than that I've never had anything even close to an off.

As for premiums, I'm 48 with one at-fault accident 3.5 years ago, my wife is 40 with a perfect record, we have six cars with $500 deductibles, a house and an umbrella with WB, so I guess I'm getting a decent multi-policy discount. I also work for the credit union that owns the agency and all of our members get 10% off the top with WB. I thought my cost was a little high since I've seen some guys saying 1600-1800 on the NSX, but some of you are way over that. It's hard to compare when you don't know if coverage and deductibles are apples-to-apples, mulit-car, etc. I've had two claims over the years with WB, one when I backed into my mother-in-law's car in our driveway (that was fun) and the other a home roof after a hail storm, and the claim process went very smoothly. Your mileage may vary.

Well this is embarrassing. This insurance conversation got me wondering, so I asked my agent today about it. He said he thinks West Bend (my company) updated the language around track use and I might be looking at an old policy document. He's tracking down all of the current amendments and will send them to me. He's new to WB and it was the first time he's been asked, so he wasn't 100% sure.

It won't stop me from doing DE days regardless. I don't push any of my cars to 10/10ths anyway. I usually sign up for the novice group, even though I have done quite a few days there. I like to set my own pace and just have fun and a lot of the intermediate and advanced guys in their Corvettes and Turbo S's are constantly pushing you. I put my 930 off at turn 1 once due to my foot slipping of the brake at the worst possible moment, but there is plenty of run off and other than that I've never had anything even close to an off.

As for premiums, I'm 48 with one at-fault accident 3.5 years ago, my wife is 40 with a perfect record, we have six cars with $500 deductibles, a house and an umbrella with WB, so I guess I'm getting a decent multi-policy discount. I also work for the credit union that owns the agency and all of our members get 10% off the top with WB. I thought my cost was a little high since I've seen some guys saying 1600-1800 on the NSX, but some of you are way over that. It's hard to compare when you don't know if coverage and deductibles are apples-to-apples, mulit-car, etc. I've had two claims over the years with WB, one when I backed into my mother-in-law's car in our driveway (that was fun) and the other a home roof after a hail storm, and the claim process went very smoothly. Your mileage may vary.

My policy with SF is $1,000 deductible with 250/500 liability limits. I also have an umbrella policy

Not sure if this holds true for track use, my guess is no as its not allowed on the lease, but in any lease as long as the car was repaired they can't get you with any sort of fee's at lease end. The company must eat the value loss on that car. Typically the dealers will pass on the car and send it back to the company where it will eventually wind up at auction. That is one of the ways that you are protected from the market in a leased vehicle.

Not sure if this holds true for track use, my guess is no as its not allowed on the lease, but in any lease as long as the car was repaired they can't get you with any sort of fee's at lease end. The company must eat the value loss on that car. Typically the dealers will pass on the car and send it back to the company where it will eventually wind up at auction. That is one of the ways that you are protected from the market in a leased vehicle.

Good to know

Thank you

Hello- I'm located in Chicago SW suburbs and currently on my third Gen 1. Now on the hunt for used Gen 2 and would appreciate any leads . Look forward to getting together this Spring. Thanks Nick

I received confirmation in writing that DE days are fully covered as long as there is no timing or competition. If the club keeps a leaderboard, even if just for fun, it would not be covered. The amendment my agent was thinking of pertained to liability coverage under my HOMEOWNERS if I was driving an uninsured vehicle. My auto policy specifically states it is only void if participating in or practicing for a prearranged competition.

Read your policies carefully, even the experts get it wrong sometimes when answering on the fly. I saw a DE training video from a PCA region organizer that stated emphatically that no insurance company covers a car on track under any circumstances and then recommended a track day insurance company. Maybe he gets a cut for referrals :)

I received confirmation in writing that DE days are fully covered as long as there is no timing or competition. If the club keeps a leaderboard, even if just for fun, it would not be covered. The amendment my agent was thinking of pertained to liability coverage under my HOMEOWNERS if I was driving an uninsured vehicle. My auto policy specifically states it is only void if participating in or practicing for a prearranged competition.

Read your policies carefully, even the experts get it wrong sometimes when answering on the fly. I saw a DE training video from a PCA region organizer that stated emphatically that no insurance company covers a car on track under any circumstances and then recommended a track day insurance company. Maybe he gets a cut for referrals :)

WOW! That's quite remarkable. Can you PM me with your agent's contact info? I don't plan to track the NSX since it is leased, but I do plan to do several track days with my Ferrari and it would be interesting to get a quote.

Sure. Midwest has its weather challenges. Probably will get it out of storage in mid April. I plan to try to bring it to Road America in Elkhardt Lake, WI this year

Back