• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any East TN owner be willing to show a kid their pride and joy?

I'm still about 7 months out from being able to purchase one of these beauties, but I'd like to get a good idea of what I'd be getting into should I decide to take the plunge.:tongue:

Haven't seen too many in this area. Dragon not tempting enough?:confused:

Excellent. If you're looking for fall colors, this weekend the mountains should be in full transition. Gorgeous. Weather's been cooler lately too.

I'm doing a fair amount this weekend ( UT vs. South Carolina...ROTC's gotta work). What time do you think you'll be in Gatlinburg?

I'm interested in a 1991, but I understand the 2002 does not differ a great deal save the exterior tweaks and NA2 powertrain. Is this the case?

Will be getting into Gatlinburg Friday around 12:00 noon to 2:00 pm. We will be going through the northern part of Knoxville, on I 75 before we turn onto I 275 towards I 40E towards Asheville.

If you want, PM me a cell # and we will give you a call a couple hours out of Knoxville and see if your free.

Ian

I live up in Johnson City, if you want to come check mine out. 1996 Auto with headers and a flowmaster. Also, a coupe.... Had to have the auto b/c of only having one arm....

Thanks for all the replies:

Ian, PM sent.

theman1990, we may have to make a date to see this auto coupe. My intentions are to purchase a manual, but I'm curious just to see the auto.

TitaniumVtec, so you live right along Alcoa Highway? I may have to see this one too :tongue: but it probably won't be the first time. I watch for NSXes like a hawk but I must admit, I'll only see one about a month or so and sometimes not even that. Friends keep telling me they see a red 91-93 all the time in Maryville and a friend told me the other day he parked next to a Monaco Blue NSX on UT campus last Friday. :biggrin:

There's a few of us around.

Silver 91 off Northshore - she is prime member
Black supercharged 92 off Northshore - he never drives it
Red 97 in Oakridge - never drives it
Red 91 at UT - Dean of Veterinary Medicine at UT - 170k + miles I think its his daily driver.
Red 95 in Maryville (currently for sale on craigslist) - Prime member also
Black 91 in Maryville with 10k miles. - he never ever drives it.
White 93 in Maryville with gunmetal Volks - this would be me.

I have seen a few here and there, but never had a chance to speak with the owner and get a contact name and phone number. It would be nice to get a group of 5 or 6 together one day.

Well, with as many people as you say that never drive their car, I can see why I never see them.

I'm pretty sure I saw the UT Dean's red one about a month ago, but it's funny that I don't see him more often since I'm always here and I'm always looking for them.

Any ideas about how to reach these people to see about a group meet? I would have to tack my jaw back up since I'm the wannabe tagalong.

I have spoken with 4 of the owners I listed above. I even went on a drive with one of them. However, he brought his motorcycle instead of his car. That was weird to say the least. The others are too busy I guess or just view their NSX as a cool car to own. Who knows really! I have left notes on some of these cars asking for a call. No one calls. Maybe they are too busy or just don't want to be bothered with drives and/or get togethers? Their loss as far as I'm concerned. We each have our reasons for owning these cars. Some just like to say "I have an NSX", while others truly enjoy driving them. I have honestly met both. I'm into modifying (as much as budget will allow) and definitely into driving (12k weekend miles a year). These cars were meant to be driven and I will do all that I can to see that this is accomplished. As frequently as possible I might add.

Good on ya. You should make up for the miles that these people do not drive their NSX. :biggrin: Ya know...just to make it even across the board.

Yeah I would think that for an NSX meet, an NSX might* be a good thing in which to show up, but then again, would it be anything you hadn't seen before and just another piece to gawk at? :tongue: Maybe it was an NSX driver's meet. Who knows.

I've been very interested in this vehicle for years and about 10 months ago decided it was what I wanted to get into.

However, while I see alot of people going the Type R route, I personally have an odd affinity for the Type S and, should I acquire an NSX, I'm looking for some Bilsteins and 17/18 BBS's to fill it out. I'm not gonna sit still as far as the mod bug is concerned. I hear the Bilstein's are great if you want to preserve the stock ride.

I'm only 20 years old, so being financially able to get into one of these vehicles at such a young age is an opportunity I will regret should I pass it up. When did you catch the NSX bug? :biggrin:

I remember seeing an NSX at the dealer in 1993. I was trying to talk an old girlfriend into buy an Integra GSR. She did not like it as it was not offered with ABS. She bought a Saturn and we are no longer together. Muahahahaha

In 93, the NSX with the stock 93 wheels looked so ugly to me. The car was $90k out of my price range at the time, but I kept thinking to myself, WTF are the rims doing on that car! I never thought about the car again. Primarily as it was out of my budget. I guess I got the bug in 2000. Wanted something nice, but also wanted something not too many people owned. Plus, the 94 rims looked 1,000 times nicer and made me really want the car. Those rims lasted 2 months as I quickly upgraded to a 17/18 combo. Its been all down hill from there. For my wallet at least. ha, ha

I don't have a Type R or Type S preference. I just mix and match stuff until I like the way it looks.

I would not buy any car until I had a garage. You want your baby to sleep inside as much as possible. The world is full of mean spirited people that will use their jealousy to ruin your pride and joy. Something to think about (i'm sure you have)!! Also, check with you insurance agent. He might want 2 arms and a nut to insure this car at your age.

Keep the dream alive and it will become a reality.

Here are the only pictures I have at work of the old mule. ha, ha

DSC01076.JPG

DSC01078.JPG

Last edited:
Nice car and cool story by the way. I'm sure she was very satisfied with her choice of cars :tongue: ( sarcasm ensues).

The old wheels are starting to grow on me, so if I happened to find the right car with those stockers, I'd take it in a heartbeat, but I'd probably move into the 7 spoke 94+ within a month and use the 5 spokes for the winter.

I have a garage at my current location so storing it inside won't be a problem and my insurance really shouldn't be a problem either. I'm an ROTC cadet at UT and being so gives me access to USAA and I couldn't be happier. I'm expecting $100 / month at the most ( although being more won't phase me financially) especially with my clean driving record. I know a guy with USAA that has 2 cars, an 88 Z31 turbo and an 06 GTO and he pays right around that. When it was just his Z, he paid $400 a year.

I've tried to think this through the best that I can. Any more suggestions?

I'm in Knoxville almost every weekend (this one included), but rarely in the NSX. It looks like you have it covered, but if not drop me a line and I will let you know the next time I have it over that way.

Man Ian I apologize, but I JUST got your message because my phone has been acting up as of recently. I think I'm going to not only get a new phone, but switch my provider. :mad:

However, having said that, even if I had been able to get your message on time, I would not have been able to come and I apologize for taking so long to tell you so. :frown:

Sure is a beaut. :cool:

Anyway, I've got my hands full with this 280Z ( yes Titanium the car I drove that one weekend is now mine...and it's not 'that' rusty :biggrin: ), but I'm still very much interested in stepping into an NSX sometime next year. As much as I love the Z, I think messing with it has made me want an NSX even more :tongue:. The funny looks kill me :cool: .

I live in Tri-cities TN and own 91 NSX red/black. I am running '94 16/17 set but also have the original 15/16 rims with new yokos. The car has 74k miles and is clean- no wrecks or track time,out of snap ring range. All records and service. I am the second owner. I have been thinking of selling. If you are interested drop me a line. I do not have the car listed.

Back