• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any special tools needed for VC Stud removal?

jwc

Registered Member
Hi,

I bought some new Valve Cover Studs as the threads aren't in the best of shape on the old ones and I've had a hard time bolting the rear Valve Cover tightly (it leaks). So........, I have all the parts I need, but before I start I was just wondering how hard is it going to be to remove the Studs that are screwed into the head? I was just planning on using two nuts on the stud and turn the bottom one as it will butt up against the top one. Will this have enough force to remove the Stud? Also, how tight should I torque the new Studs?

Thanks all!

John

P.S. I'm going to carefully check the Valve Cover when I take it off to see if it's warped. Has anyone ever experienced a warped Valve Cover?

The base of the stud has a 12mm hex IIRC. Use a long socket, they should come right off. Torque is 18 ft.lbs. Apply oil to the lower threads.

I do not recommend the double nut trick for this. The top threads are too small, compared to the bottom threads. The top nuts are tightened to 7 ft. lbs, the bottom threads are 18 ft.lbs. You can snap the new top threads easily:).

BTW, I have not seen a warped VC.

HTH,
LarryB

Thanks a lot Larry! I bought the studs a few months ago and forgot that they had hex drives on them. I posted my thread after a friend said that if I had trouble removing the studs he had a stud remover that I could borrow. Started making me worry that the studs might be hard to get out. Thanks for the (wet) torque settings! Glad to hear that you've never seen a warped VC!

Regards!

John C. :biggrin:

Back