• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anybody ever got pulled over for no front license plate?

Not pulled over because of the license plate. I got pulled over because of other infraction but given a fix it ticket for the no front plate in addition.

Also I got a couple ticket from DPT in downtown San Francisco for no license plate. Never in surrounding town.

I get pulled over about every 5 years for this, all by itself. It is ALWAYS a fix-it or ticket. I put it on, and go to the cop shop and get it signed off.

I think front plates are........

1 not needed (unless you are a photo radar lover)
2 waste of metal, time, and money
3 ugly
4 causer of more damage during 5mph incidents
5 blocks radiator flow (most sports cars)
6 less aerodynamic
7 adds weight and parts cost to a car
8 singles you out to police in a non-front-plate states.
9 non-front-plate-state drivers get singled out in front-plate states, causing them to get pulled over, thinking they are from a front-plate state, and thus illegal.

10 did I mention they are ugly!

I have gotten numerous "no front plate" tickets over the years, usually when given a parking ticket, they'll tack another ticket for the no front plate infraction on my windshield. It used to be a "fix-it" ticket in SoCal, but the last two times I've gotten one, it's simply a $25 fine.

The front plate on the NSX is SO UGLY, it's worth paying $25 every 6 months or so to keep it off. :biggrin:

A cop made a u-turn just to pull me over for not displaying a front license plate. It was a $10 fix-it ticket. I guess I'm getting old. I'd rather run the goofy-looking front plate than waste time waiting for the cop to finish writing up the ticket.

In my Integra I used to get pulled over every 6 months or so for it when I had mine clearly displayed behind the windshield. Usually they would let me off with just a warning (amazing since I was a teenage kid in a typical Japanese pocket rocket), but I did get a ticket twice. First time was a $101 ticket (minimum ticket in WA for a moving violation), I simply sent a picture of the car with the plate on and got it dismissed. Second time was in conjunction with a speeding ticket, but it was my first moving violation ever so I got them both deferred since they were on the same ticket.

Funny thing is, during tech at an autocross a year and a half ago, they asked me to take it out from behind the windshield because it could be a safety hazard. I've been running without one altogether ever since and haven't been pulled over, and I drive a somewhat modified Integra that gets a fair amount of attention. I think actually having it in the window makes it easy to pick out, whereas if you just don't have one at all they don't notice very much. You see random family sedans and econocars around here without one at all, it's amazing how many there are when you really pay attention.

Chris@SoS said:
We've got a great new solution for this that will be available in a couple weeks. Stay tuned!

-- Chris

Like a James Bond rotating license plate? I've always wanted one of those.

Thread hijack...
Anyone get pulled over for license plate clear covers? Your not suppose to cover the plates here in nj. I've seen tinted covers too but thats just asking to get pulled over.

Been pulled over for no front plate 3 times in about 4 years! It is always the State Patrol that do this-- city police and county sherif don't seem to care. In Washington State, the cop can write it up as a traffic (i.e. "moving") infraction if they want. If this happens and you are found to have committed the offense by the court, then you will not only have to pay the fine but it will also go on your driving record and be available for your insurance company to see.

When we are going to paint our plate numbers on our roof and side panels. It's a safety and enforcement issue.

You could always NEVER wash your car.

Never put a plate on your front window sill. That's illegal.

Well, I've been waiting to tell my story about this...

I've been pulled over about 2-3 times a year, for the past 3 years, on the main drag off my neighborhood...by the same old "fat" fart...I get the fix-it citation...:biggrin: and I go to court each time...get the same judge in my small little county...he laughs each time...since I showed him the first time I received the citation that the car has no front bracket holes???...he bought it...and has bought the notion for 3 "fix-its"...so, my advice is to argue the car has no front bracket since it was made in Japan:eek: ...works for me in Douglas County, CO...and please don't spill the beans...thx

Mike

Yeah! I got pulled over because the SFPD motorcycle cop thought something fell off my car because the Taitec rear diffuser. So he then walked around and spotted i had no freaking front plate & gave me a ticket! THAT BASTARD!:mad: I try no to drive in SF downtown!

first of i have to say ravn your NSX made my jaw drop in your avatar... assuming thats yours, Iv gotten front plate tickets as well, but always asumed that the nsx was exempt the for the reason said by mmmikemo, cant you just argue that it doesent come from the dealership with front plates?

nsxtacey said:
Thread hijack...
Anyone get pulled over for license plate clear covers? Your not suppose to cover the plates here in nj. I've seen tinted covers too but thats just asking to get pulled over.

i heard that the clear covers for the license plate blocks radars.(when cops aim the radar gun to check you speed they aim for your plates) the plastic cover and its oval shape form deflect the radar. i also heard that it blurrs your license plate when you run a red light and got caught by the camera.

if its not true, then why would they be illegal???

I got pulled over by a NJ state tropper just for my front plate. He came out of his hiding spot just because of my plate. He gave me the ticket and then a warning for having a clear cover over my rear plate. I paid the $50- ticket and that was it. After I paid the fine I STILL left it off. I figure if I have to pay $50- a year it's worth not having that ugly crap stuck to the front of my car.

Now I don't have to worry about front plates anyway...I have my dealer plate on the rear :biggrin: :biggrin:

Anosa said:
first of i have to say ravn your NSX made my jaw drop in your avatar... assuming thats yours, Iv gotten front plate tickets as well, but always asumed that the nsx was exempt the for the reason said by mmmikemo, cant you just argue that it doesent come from the dealership with front plates?

Yes, it's mine! THANKS!
You stated: "cant you just argue that it doesent come from the dealership with front plates?" I don't think that works!

Never been pulled over for no front plate but got a $237 ticket for the license plate cover. Where I live they wouldn't allow it to be a fix-it ticket. The judge was nice though. He was trying to convince the cop to let it go but he wouldn't. Oh well found me guilt and gave me a $0 fine. :)

Front plates are not issued in my province (Alberta). The Gov't opted to get rid of the front plates more than 15 years ago as a cost savings measure. The only way that you can get double plates is to pay the $200.00 for a vanity plate.:tongue:

I've been lucky as I haven't run afront plate on any of my sports cars for over 30 years and the only time i got pulled over was by a motor cycle cop and he told me used the no front plate as an excuse to pull me over but said he only wanted to look at the car so he wished me a nice day and thanked me for my time and letting him look at my car and let me go. Doug

sure thing... if you see some hapa kid running after you on the sidewalk sometime. have pity and pull over ^^... cause thats more or less what i do when i see nsx's right now. lol, anyways. im going to have to ask someone about the whole front plate thing, cause it doesent make sense that they would make you drill holes in your car or buy something to atach it to the car. looking at new nsx's on the dealership floor they dont have front plates. And i would assume when you buy it and drive it out of the lot. it still doesent have a front plate...?:confused:

Back