• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anybody have any pics of...

painted brake calipers? The closer up and more detailed, the better. I've been on the fence as far as painting mine red ('97 spa yellow T). Any pics would be appreciated.

Here's a not so good one but it's something......
bbs1.jpg

------------------
nsx_02.jpg

Todd Arnold
http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

I think I can top that one.
smile.gif

caliper.jpg

Painted with Foliatec and Sebring Silver touch up paint. This was taken a few months after it was painted. My calipers are now sort of black due to heat changing the paint color during a mild track event.

[This message has been edited by biophase (edited 28 December 2000).]

biophase that's perfect! i'm gonna do exactly that. you said the red has turned sort of black due to heat...does the Foliatec paint claim to be heat resistant? why use that type? why not just red engine paint? also, is the sebring silver heat resistant?

biophase that's perfect! i'm gonna do exactly that. you said the red has turned sort of black due to heat...does the Foliatec paint claim to be heat resistant? why use that type? why not just red engine paint? also, is the sebring silver heat resistant?

I used red high heat engine paint on my calipers and it doesn't compare to the look of the Foliatec paint. The spray paint just coats the caliper and allows the texture of the cast iron to show through. Foliatec does a better job at "filling" the caliper and gives it a much more glossy finish. Looks closer to the appearance of a BIG BRAKE set up IMO. I'm going to redo mine with Foliatec.

I have heard of the Foliatec coating peeling off at track events under prolonged exposure to heat. I think it would hold up better under daily driving conditions.

Originally posted by NSX'D:

The Foliatec paint is more like a thick epoxy paint. It goes on thick and drys smooth. Using a regular high temp paint will show the texture of the caliper and the ones Ive seen were not as bright red as mine.

The Foliatec paint is marketed for brake calipers so I'd think it'd claim to be heat resistant. However, it probably wasn't designed to take brake temps seen at the track. Some people have said theirs didnt fade with track events.

The paint got black on the sides closest to the rotor. The outer portion still looks good although their has been some chipping. I'm just going to recoat with the left over paint I have.

The sebring silver paint is just touch up paint bought from the Acura dealer. I doubt its temp resistant but since its at the very outer portion of the caliper maybe it doesn't see as much heat as the rest of the caliper. The silver paint has not flaked or changed color. It's also painted directly over the red Foliatec paint.

Biophase, nice job on the brakes. I too have a Sebring NSX and just bought a paint kit by a new manufacturer called G2. According to the company, their product was orig. formulated for use on aircraft brakes w/ a temp. tolerance of 900 degrees F. Cost of kit incl. cleaner is $40 (bit less than Foliatec. For anyone interested, their contact is 1-877-425-3237 or g2carstyling.com. Also, Biophase, what's the most efficient way to go about painting i.e. did you just painstakingly jack one wheel at a time?

Originally posted by QWKSLVR:
Also, Biophase, what's the most efficient way to go about painting i.e. did you just painstakingly jack one wheel at a time?

Just jack each side and put it on jack stands... it only take a couple minutes. Then you can remove and paint them all at the same time.

Actually if you use the mid jack point it lifts up both wheels on one side at a time. I did that, stuck a jack stand under it, cleaned the caliper, put the wheels back on and jacked the other side, cleaned the caliper and then painted the caliper using one large brush and one thin one. It's up to you if you want to paint the back of the caliper or not. Then I put the wheels back on and did the other side. When it was dry I painted the 'NSX' using a small detailing brush while the wheels were on. The whole thing took about 2 hours. Alot of time is spent prepping the caliper (wire brush, cleaning, wiping dry, etc.) So don't mix the paint until you've cleaned the calipers.

Back