• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone else feel/think like this?

Today I was torn between driving my car or leaving it in the garage so I don't add miles.

Does anyone else think like this? Am I nuts?

I decided to go for a "short" drive to cure the need. It still bothers me that I did though. Oh well, it wasn't all that bad because I love driving the car I just hate puting miles on it!
smile.gif

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY

i sold my first nsx, a black '91 with 52k, because i felt the miles were getting to high. after i sold it, i deeply regretted not driving it more. i lasted a year and just bought the sebring silver '91 w/ 24k i have right now. i learned my lesson from last time.... drive it and enjoy it!!!

Richard, I know you have a "very" low mile car... that might be the problem.

Two years ago, I sold a '74 914 2.0 litre with 18,375 original miles, original paint, original everything. I sold it after 8 years because I couldn't stand the thought of putting miles on it and just letting it sit in the garage was not that rewarding.

I learned my lesson. I'm not going to "save" my NSX for the "next guy". I am going to drive it and enjoy it. You should too.

You only go through life once.

As one of my friend good friends says, "You only go around once". Carpe Diem! (Sieze the day!). There is no point in leaving such an expensive, wonderful car sitting in your garage to save miles. I do understand the thought process you're experiencing, though.

Drive it to your heart's content. You are so lucky to be able to afford such a car - there are many others who would just LOVE to be able to own an NSX (or other exotic), but simply cannot afford it or justify the expense.

Remember this: There are VERY, VERY FEW cars that are truly investments such that they go UP in value. The NSX is NOT one of those. Only those extremely rare cars are. I saw a guy last year who had a 1991 for sale with only 5,000 miles!!! That's not mis-print...Five Thousand total! He told me he bought it as an investment. So, here you have a PERFECT 1991 NSX and he was asking $49,900 for it in Jan 2001. So he had perhaps the nicest/oldest NSX you could get and he is still taking a $15,000 loss after TEN YEARS! Also, don't forget to add in the insurance, gas, oil, etc. to that loss. AND, think about this: What if he invested $65,000 into a mutual fund in 1990?
He would probably have $500,000 or so from that investment!

Bottom line : drive your car, it's not an investment

------------------
Don Nowak
[email protected]
NSXTC in Georgia
1992 Red Twin-Turbo

Originally posted by Veleno:
Does anyone else think like this?

I don't know, but even if you're not, you're the only one who thinks like this and lives on an island thirty miles long.
biggrin.gif

Richard, you're not nuts (of course, that's not a medical opinion
smile.gif
)--I have had the same struggles recently. I have a 30K mile '94, and it's been sitting in the garage all winter.
Now that it's nice enough outside to drive, I have vowed to drive the car more this year. As the previous comments have stated, the NSX is a wonderful car, and deserves to be driven as it was designed to be driven. Enjoy the miles! There are plenty of them left in the car....

Hi I have my car from 95 and now she have 110k miles I drove her in every condition track and street and always at high speed and she always going realy good everytime that i drive I feel like she is new My friend have another nsx with 25K miles and trust when i tell you that there is not different btw the two cars if you take care of her you will be paid I forgot the power its remain the same

That's one thing I like about having an NSX with almost 80,000 miles -- there's never a mileage concern. I drive my NSX basically whenever I want to, which is usually two-three times a week, weather permitting (raining today, so no driving).

-Bob ('94 #496)

Richard,

I guess the solution is to pick up a beater NSX with high mileage.
wink.gif

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Zoiks.

I bought my 91 from S.L. a little less than a year ago with 115,000 miles. It has 131,000 on it now and it sat in the garage this winter begging to get out. As long as it's not snowing (or raining most of the time) it's on the road.

IMHO.... They're not near as much fun when the engine isn't running.

j

the reason I am buying the NSX is to NOT worry about the miles adding up. Its too pretty and reliable to sit as a garage queen. Drive it like it was meant to be!!! mine will not be a daily driver but I will be putting all the miles I can when it is out...

------------------
93RX7TT-(4sale for NSX!)
95 Legend LS Coupe
89 Mazda MPV-Daily Beater

I do understand wanting to keep it "perfect in every way etc... But if I cant drive the hell out of it (I DONT WANT IT ) Thats the whole reason why I bought an NSX and not some other less dependable car.So I could drive the rubber down 10,000-20,000 and if I still want it when its got 200k on it I'll yank the motor and replace it etc etc.Besides after the research on practicality of extremely low miles VS'S 10-15K/year theres really not enough $$$ rewarded to ME for doing so and suffering w/ BLUE BALLS all those years.
SMOKEM' IF YOU GOTTEM'

------------------

I understand how Richard feels, and I've felt the same way many times. However, everyone here has made good points, all of which apply to me. While driving this wonderful car is by far the most rewarding aspect of owning it, there are many reasons I enjoy it. Tweeking,detailing,maintaining are all enjoyable (and don't add any miles
smile.gif
)
Sometimes I just poke my head in the garage to stare at it a few moments and take in the beautiful lines of the car, and ponder the engineering/design that went into it.Then of course, there are the times when I have to choose between driving the NSX or taking out the Ste1100.......2 wheels or 4, tough choice!

You only go around once? I have some friends that would beg to differ.
Cars are made to be driven. Tombstones are made to sit still and look at.

My feeling is that you (in a general sense) tend not to put miles on a car primarily to keep it's "value" up. This "value" comes in to play if only if you want to sell it. If the primary reason for having the car is not financial reasons, then you're denying yourself the pleasure of driving it. Furthermore, I noticed that you've been modding the car lately. I imagine that those mods will have more impact on the resale-ability of the car than adding pleasure miles on it.

Enjoy it!!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

I don't plan on selling the NSX ever, so I have no worries over its mileage. Thus I drive it every chance I get weather permitting.

Besides, if you don't take it out and let it run, it will get arthritis in its joints
smile.gif

Before I bought my nsx I had a 1986 corvette.I won three car shows with it and sweat like crazy everytime I drove it.(I didn't want to put too much mileage on it or take a chance getting any scratches).I sold the car in 1998 with 18,000 miles!!!!!! I watched the guy that bought it from me drive down the street like I never would have driven the car!Boy, did that hurt.Of course I will take even better care of my nsx but I think I have learned to enjoy my cars more now and drive them more.Looking in on it in the garage is awesome but driving it is incredible!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Veleno:
Today I was torn between driving my car or leaving it in the garage so I don't add miles.

Does anyone else think like this?

Yes and no. I don't leave it in the garage because I'm worried about adding miles to it. I don't worry about adding miles. OTOH, I don't drive it every day; that's what I have a daily driver for (and my daily driver is a fun car too). I got my NSX primarily for track events, and that's what most of my usage is. I rarely drive it around town. It's not that I couldn't; I just prefer to keep it my track car (even though it's mostly stock). One of the benefits of doing so is that whenever I drive it, it's a special occasion by definition. I allow myself that pleasure once in a while (aside from the track events). And, as a result, it's nice that I am accumulating miles gradually over the years; it's still a moderately low mileage car.

Each of us has his or her own reasons for owning the car, and our usage patterns often reflect those reasons. I'm happy that those who own it as a daily driver enjoy driving it in those circumstances. I enjoy driving my NSX once in a while. And I enjoy driving my daily driver every day.

Thanks for the input guys. It's interesting to know how some of you think regarding cars and what they mean to you.

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY

Great comments! To make you feel better about the loss of resale value, compare a 91 for sale today with very low milage with one at normal milage- there is maybe a $10k premium for the low milage car- divide that by 11 years- you are denying yourself pleasure for less than $1,000 a year.
Think of how much you piss away on meaningless things and this comes into focus.

As someone else mentioned, cars are NOT investments unless you have a 1931 Bugatti Royale. Except for rare cases- they are consumption items.

Dont drive your house- that's an investment
(most times at least! I would have argued this point when I moved out of Houston in 1986! !).

I thank the stars I live in a sunny climate where I can drive mine every day! I am not going to save it for someone else to consume.

I think the solution is to move out of Minnesota and live close to work!
wink.gif

I bought my 91 with 76k on her.my thoughts at the time was I will drive her only on weekends and keep the milage down. yeah right.I drive a beater to work.my friends dont even believe I bought the car because I have never driven it to work.hey I am up for a review raise and dont want the boss to see that when I hit him up for another 10k. but back to the driving part.driving that car is addictive.I am surprised theirs not a support group with a 12 step program to keep guys from driving it to much
wink.gif
anyway same senerio every night.honey I have to get milk,smokes,any reason and by the way im taking the'car'.I love this car and will never part with her unless I buy a newer one.and some of you may have seen my post that I smoked my clutch.I am waiting on parts and let me tell you.I have already started shaking,cant sleep so on. withdrawal from NSX should be covered by the AMA
David

I recall people at the office used to say to me, "you drove the NSX today didn't you." I used to always wonder how they could tell...

According to them, on days that I do take the NSX to work I become and apparently look distracted. I never knew it showed
smile.gif

They are right. The thought of my red NSX parked outside the office seems to always dsitract me greatly during the workday. Instead of cigarette breaks, I take frequent NSX breaks up the twisties nearby.

Fortunately there are others at work that suffer from the same "need for speed" disease so a bunch of us would take "breaks" together
smile.gif

i have figured that everyone has an opinion on this... but i think that ultimately, all cars are consumables with a few exceptions. yes, the nsx may be one of those exceptions, but i dont intend to wait 25years to find out.

drive it, drive it, drive it, if it makes you happy....

confuscious say, "bird in hand worth two in bush"

Back