• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone have a Patent??

I have a great idea that I want to patent. I have already been in touch with a patent agent but I wonder if I should also hire a patent attorney. I have been told that my invention can possibly sell in the millions of units per year otc. Also, how do search the online patent library to figure out if my idea is indeed unique? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-TIA

spill the beans!!!

Unfortunatly i do not have any information regarding obtaining patents but I am very interested in information regarding this subject. I, myself have wondered the same thing and wish i had the initiative to pose the question on prime.

Are you sure the patent agent is legit? I've dealt with a few of them before and they want to know your idea (which is the first duh), then they will always tell you you can make millions because they want your fees which can be thousands of $$, then if you never get around to patenting your idea, they can steal it.

I haven't patented anything myself, but I've worked on several patent applications which were then turned over to patent attorneys for review and filing (all software related).

Make sure you do a search of the patent database first to make sure your idea isn't already out there.

Ever heard of Elisha Gray?

I hope the same thing doesnt happen. I know quite a few folks who work for the patent office as it is local and we talk often. Most of them say, with the paperwork done properly and a legitimate idea, you wont need the assistance of a patent attorney. Having said that, they say its a good idea to protect your patent with the help of an attorney after the fact. Good luck!!!

I've got a couple of granted patents and a couple more in the pipeline. Unfortunately they were all submitted through work, so although I worked with the patent attorney's, I'm not aware of their fee structure. My understanding is that a patent can cost anywhere from $20-100k to put together. I believe there are also submission and yearly upkeep fees, but these are small compared to the attorney fees.

You can search the uspto database using keywords, but it's still very slow going. I would definitely go through an initial search myself, and then if it still looks good, contact a patent attorney who is intimately familiar with the field of your invention and may be able to tell you if there is prior art without spending a lot of research time.

If you do find existing patents which are similar, don't despair. Note them all down, and they can be cited as prior art in your patent. Yours can still be granted if it improves on the existing patents in some unique way.

If you've got a really really good idea that might be worth millions through licensing etc, I would avoid going through an agent. Instead, do some initial out of pocket investigation with a patent attorney and if it looks like it may fly, and you don't have the money, then try and raise the capital through private investors (just as you would for starting a business, but the shares would equate to whatever profit the IP generates)

BTW, a lot of my time spent with the attorney was in explaining the idea so that he could document it. If you can describe the idea in detail in laymans terms ahead of time, I imagine this would cut down substantially on the cost of putting together your patent.

Arshad said:
...You can search the uspto database using keywords, but it's still very slow going. I would definitely go through an initial search myself, and then if it still looks good, contact a patent attorney who is intimately familiar with the field of your invention and may be able to tell you if there is prior art without spending a lot of research time.

I've spent a few hours searching the web site and haven't found anything similar to my idea.

Arshad said:
If you do find existing patents which are similar, don't despair. Note them all down, and they can be cited as prior art in your patent. Yours can still be granted if it improves on the existing patents in some unique way.

Thanks for this information. I was unaware of this type of stipulation.

Arshad said:
If you can describe the idea in detail in laymans terms ahead of time, I imagine this would cut down substantially on the cost of putting together your patent.

I already have a working instrument of the idea that I want to incorporate into an otc product that will help everyone who uses this product to use it correctly. Also, the person who is a patent agent is a good friend of my father, he has a few patents in the field already. When I showed him my idea he was ecstatic and he's already prepared a contract for me. I don't have the discretionary money to fund the idea, but he said that it could easily be sold to any of the pharmaceutical companies. Someone else also recommended that I send myself a letter with a rudimentary drawing of my idea and not open the envelope. They said it will help prove that I initially had this idea. Does sound correct?

Thanks for everyone's input. :biggrin:

DocL said:
I already have a working instrument of the idea that I want to incorporate into an otc product that will help everyone who uses this product to use it correctly. Also, the person who is a patent agent is a good friend of my father, he has a few patents in the field already. When I showed him my idea he was ecstatic and he's already prepared a contract for me. I don't have the discretionary money to fund the idea, but he said that it could easily be sold to any of the pharmaceutical companies. Someone else also recommended that I send myself a letter with a rudimentary drawing of my idea and not open the envelope. They said it will help prove that I initially had this idea. Does sound correct?

I know that at our company we need to document all of our ideas in numbered notebooks with dates that are turned in to the company for storage. In the event of a patent dispute, these notebooks can then be referenced to show when the idea was first conceived. Mailing yourself documentation on the idea as well as diagrams does the same thing by having a US postal stamp with date on it (of course it needs to remain sealed!). You can then throw this into a safety deposit box in case you ever run into problems later.

Please also note that there are limitations to how soon you must file the patent if your invention is displayed publicly anywhere. If you've demonstrated it at your local hospital for example, then I believe you have 1 year from that point to have your patent submitted.

If you're 100% comfortable with the patent agent, then go ahead with them. I just advise some caution as I know my uncle lost his entire life savings (over a million dollars) to a very close business associate whom he had known for over 30 years. Money does strange things to people!

In any case, if you're planning on shopping the patent around, then it's a very good idea to have as much documented and dated/sealed as possible. Also, not as important (and costly), but you may want to look into international patents if the companies you are dealing with have global operations. Non disclosure agreements are great, but difficult to enforce in court if they claim they already had the idea. If your idea is very good, then take all precautions to protect yourself and make sure it is not stolen! Unfortunately, this type of thing happens on a regular basis (big companies stealing good ideas from the little guy).

Also, if the idea has huge revenue potential for yourself (eg. tens of millions from licensing) then it may be a good idea to raise capital with private investors so that you don't skimp on making the patent airtight. The last thing you want is someone else to come in and get away with a similar product on a technicality because your claims were not broad enough. If in your research you find there are no similar ideas, then your claims MUST be as broad and encompassing as possible. You do not even have to have this demonstrated in a working product .. the idea itself can be patented, so think long and hard about all possible applications and variations.

Best of luck!

This thread is very informational. I have been wondering for a while now, how this all goes. I have a handfull of ideas that could do very well. But I do not have the $$ to fund them at this point. I don't want to sidetrack this thread, but there must be a way for me to develop these products/ideas and share the ownership? Licensing? I've waited too long on a couple of ideas, and years later, something similar has popped up.

I am a patent attorney. PM me please before you speak to anyone or disclose anything about your invention.

DocL said:
I already have a working instrument of the idea that I want to incorporate into an otc product that will help everyone who uses this product to use it correctly.

I thought someone already had a high velocity Astroglide anal lubrication device on the market! :biggrin:

Hugh said:
I thought someone already had a high velocity Astroglide anal lubrication device on the market! :biggrin:

Isn't that someone you! :smile:

DocL said:
I have a great idea that I want to patent. I have already been in touch with a patent agent but I wonder if I should also hire a patent attorney. I have been told that my invention can possibly sell in the millions of units per year otc. Also, how do search the online patent library to figure out if my idea is indeed unique? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-TIA

I'm a patent attorney. PM me the details of your invention and I'll give you my advice. :D

EDIT haha someone already responded...

Russ said:
I am a patent attorney. PM me please before you speak to anyone or disclose anything about your invention.

you may have already been immortalized....:rolleyes:
here

Zuerst said:
I'm a patent attorney. PM me the details of your invention and I'll give you my advice. :D

EDIT haha someone already responded...

What's your USPTO reg #?

I have a few patent through work. These things are not cheap and I'm not sure what value they offer. We tend to use them for marketing purposes (such as patented, first to the market, etc.). But if you find out someone copies your idea, just find out how much the patent is worth.

If you want to patent an idea and then sell the rights to some company to deal with the MFG, distribution, HR issues, etc....then that's another story. But in our case, when someone copies one of my inventions we are either going to let it pass or decide it's worth getting into a $1.5 million lawsuit to fight it. And once you decide to start a fight, it's like freight train with huge momentum that your company no longer has the ability to stop. Just not worth the risk and aggravation for a company of our size ($50-100M annual sales).

As for costs, I say a patent is going to run you about $10K-15K to get started up, and then there is maintenance over the life of the patent (approx. 20 years). You can elect to not pay maintenance fees, but then your patent expires an early death.

Get advice from a good patent attorney. If you want my contact (I've used him for years) PM me.

Good luck!
Shaun

The dog runs away and the first thing you have to do is find the leash, unless there is a retractable one built in the dogs collar. Then you can just run after the dog, catch it and pull out the leash from the collar.
---Patent pending

My company is currently going through the patent process.

Elite: You are not required to have a prototype, proof of funding, etc...

You can file a patent with an extremely CRUDE conceptual drawing; if it truly is an invention. Patents are only protected for 20 years, and you can definitely license, sell and buy the rights to patents.

Elite said:
This thread is very informational. I have been wondering for a while now, how this all goes. I have a handfull of ideas that could do very well. But I do not have the $$ to fund them at this point. I don't want to sidetrack this thread, but there must be a way for me to develop these products/ideas and share the ownership? Licensing? I've waited too long on a couple of ideas, and years later, something similar has popped up.

When filing a patent for a software application, do you typically just list the actual software developers? What about product manager, project manager, graphics design, etc?

I was a patent examiner briefly for the USPTO in DC (metro). Ironically my areas were slot machines and golf clubs, well before I moved to Vegas. Foreshadowing?

Anyway, before you invest in a patent attorney, you can get someone (or do it yourself if you can) to do a bit of front end legwork first that will save you a lot of money. Patent attorneys are expensive (and make good money too). You’ll mostly be looking for reasons why you can’t file: existing patents, prior art etc. And I got a lot of applications that were a complete waste of time because it was obviously not enough of a innovation to patent. You’d be surprised what’s already been done. Remember, just because you don’t see it out there or for sale, doesn’t mean it hasn’t already been patented. A lot of good patents just sit there for a long time before it comes to the general public.

My investors asked me to fill out some preliminary patent paperwork which lists contributors to the patent. I just wasn't sure if I should list only the software developers, or anyone that contributed to the creation of the software... then there are different levels of contribution from code to graphics to management of the project to ideas.

You're patenting an entire software application? I don't understand what your claims will be?

Typically you patent an idea, an algorithm, a unique way of doing something, that type of thing. Something relatively specific. You definitely don't list project managers and other random people who didn't come up with the innovation. You also don't list other random SW people on the project who weren't directly involved in coming up with the original idea (or implementation of that idea) that you're trying to patent.

Back