• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone have CT ring and pinion?

I am about to buy the Comptech Ring and Pinion for my 1998 6 speed. I was wondering
if anyone has the ring and pinion? If so,
how do you like it? I opted for the ring and pinion over gears.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Jude

I had the 4.55 and it was excellent around town. It buzzed too high for me on the freeway, but you have a 6speed so that changes everything. I think you will be very happy with it.

I have the Comptech 4.55 R&P in my car. I'm very happy with the product, and highly recommend it. I have had the factory US spec 4.06 and NSX-R R&P. Unlike reports I had heard previously, I have never experienced any unusual gear whine. BTW, we offer the Comptech R&P at a discount if you're interested: [email protected]

Cheers,
-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

[email protected]
http://www.ScienceofSpeed.com

Originally posted by CiaoBoy:
What is your tachometer reading when cruising at 70mph with the 4.55 R&P and 5th gear (of the 5-speed)?

It should be turning 3373 rpm.

With the stock R&P, it should be 3011 rpm.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 11 May 2002).]

can someone give me a quick layman explanation of the Ring & Pinion- the car I'll eventually get I believe has it, and never got to really understand, is it the same as short gears??? thanks

Originally posted by 5inchfatlip:
can someone give me a quick layman explanation of the Ring & Pinion- the car I'll eventually get I believe has it, and never got to really understand, is it the same as short gears??? thanks

No, it's not the same thing.

It's sometimes called the "final drive gear".

When your engine turns, the power is transmitted through one of the gears (one of five in the 5-speed, one of six in the 6-speed, one of four in the automatic) and also through the ring and pinion gear. So when you change the ratio of the R&P gear, it affects your gearing in ALL gears. The short gears affect gearing in each of the three gears that are replaced (second, third, and fourth).

Back