• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Anyone in the bay area own an M5?

I am seriously considering an '01 - '03 M5 and I was just wondering if anyone in the local area has one.
I heard there is a meet this friday and sunday but it would be nice to show up with someone I know.
I would like to hear some personal input on the car. Some goods and bad, things to look out for when buying an older model.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sung

hello Sung,

I think you can get more M5 owner opinions over at roadfly.org :)

Can't say that much about the car except that my buddy has an 02 M5 and I don't think he has had any specific issues with the car.

rick

s4play said:
hello Sung,

I think you can get more M5 owner opinions over at roadfly.org :)

Can't say that much about the car except that my buddy has an 02 M5 and I don't think he has had any specific issues with the car.

rick

Yeh, I checked there as well as
http://www.m5board.com/

Just wanted some insight from an NSX owner.

Thanks though!

are you set on the M5 and nothing else? for 4 door luxury sedan with a lot of power and fun to drive, i was going to suggest the new m35/45 or GS450. (the RL is nice too but a little dull), but none has stick shift, so....maybe wait a little? IMHO, i think the M is a little overated, great power, but also kinda heavy.

I believe that khiroshima has a silver 2001 M5. He used to own a NSX.

randomharmony said:
are you set on the M5 and nothing else? for 4 door luxury sedan with a lot of power and fun to drive, i was going to suggest the new m35/45 or GS450. (the RL is nice too but a little dull), but none has stick shift, so....maybe wait a little? IMHO, i think the M is a little overated, great power, but also kinda heavy.

I've actually liked sedan more than sports cars. Before I was honda-nized, I had played with Ford taurus SHO (2 of them). I made stupid outrageous power from the car and it ended up blowing up.
To be honest, I agree with you but since my days of sedans, M5 was always at the top of the list and I just figured it's about time I own one. I did test drive a few but getting into an M5 from an NSX doesn't really spark anything, nevertheless, I want one even with the headache of owning a used german car (bad past expereinces!).

Bottom line, I guess I am set on an M5... stupid me.

Thanks for your input!

Hi Sung,

I'm also a fan of the M5 even before I purchased the NSX. I think it's a great car! But I think you should wait a little bit and get the new M5! That's a beast! :wink:

sycosho said:
I've actually liked sedan more than sports cars. Before I was honda-nized, I had played with Ford taurus SHO (2 of them). I made stupid outrageous power from the car and it ended up blowing up.
To be honest, I agree with you but since my days of sedans, M5 was always at the top of the list and I just figured it's about time I own one. I did test drive a few but getting into an M5 from an NSX doesn't really spark anything, nevertheless, I want one even with the headache of owning a used german car (bad past expereinces!).

Bottom line, I guess I am set on an M5... stupid me.

Thanks for your input!

sycosho said:
I had played with Ford taurus SHO (2 of them). I made stupid outrageous power from the car and it ended up blowing up.
!

What did modify you to blow the SHO up? How much power were you making?

EDIT: I see you're from San Francisco... Let me guess, you had Vadim supercharge the car and tune it?

Last edited:
I will send a note to my bother and ask him to look at this thread. There are a few other members who have had M5's and and NSX but I obviously know this particular member better than the others :wink:

Hiroshima said:
I will send a note to my bother and ask him to look at this thread. There are a few other members who have had M5's and and NSX but I obviously know this particular member better than the others :wink:
And you referred that dude as your "bother"!? Oh brother, here comes Kevin bothering me again! Sure, that's why you know him so well!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Steve

Sorry, I don't check e-mail much on the weekend, but happy to pipe in here.

Yep, used to be an NSX owner (miss it, ask my brother) and contimplate getting another one all the time. Anyhow, let me try to answer some of your questions, I have a 2001 and have had it for three years, which is about the same amount of time I had the NSX, so I can speak definatively about both cars.

Yep, m5board.com is where I go and I believe has the best information and mature discussions, very reminiscent of Prime. You should do a search there and you will find many discussions on this very M5 vs. NSX topic. OK, my opinions:

the Good:
396hp
TORQUE everywhere
Great build quality
Five passengers at speed
Stable E39 platform
Real six speed (no SMG)
No Bangle butt
CPO includes up to 100,000 maintenance (includes all but rubber and gas)
396 hp

the Bad:
4000+ pounds
Understeers without camber plates (Dinan)
Weak clutch
Tires last <10,000 miles (NSX folks are used to this already)
Small-ish E39 trunk (multiple golf club bag challenged)
No spare tire
Uninspiring stock exhaust note
BMW brake dust (OK nitpicking here)
Scared to death when my warranty runs out (never a concern with the NSX)
4000+ pounds :frown:

Things to watch out for:
CPO cars are worth wild, the coverage goes to 100,000 miles or six years
VANOS has been known to be an issue with earlier cars
ALWAYS check to see maintenance history
Careful of M5's from the factory M5Driving Experience, they've been beat on

Headaches of owning a German car? YES. I have been fortunate that I haven't had any real problems, but for a while there, it seemed like my SES (Service Engine Soon) light was always on. It was always something small and covered by warranty,just a sensor or something, but it's annoying going to the dealer. My NSX was only in the shop for wear items, I wish I could say the same about the M5.

Bottom line, I need a four door and have only a two car garage (wife gets the other slot) and I'm not keen on having a decent car sitting outside all the time. The M5 is the only serious contender in this category and I don't regret the decision. As mentioned, I miss the NSX, but for my need it isn't an only car option, a possible supplement for me, but not a replacement.

Hope this helps, if you have any specific questions, I will try to remember to check back, Kevin

ss5153 said:
Hi Sung,

I'm also a fan of the M5 even before I purchased the NSX. I think it's a great car! But I think you should wait a little bit and get the new M5! That's a beast! :wink:

But I am!
...... Once the hype settles a bit. Not on the waiting list and I'm not gonna pay the mark-up.
I want to drive the old one for a year or so and then get the new one.

yamahaSHO said:
What did modify you to blow the SHO up? How much power were you making?

EDIT: I see you're from San Francisco... Let me guess, you had Vadim supercharge the car and tune it?

Let's start with the first one...
1st - 1990 with most of the n/a upgrade.

2nd - 1992 with ... 3.2 s/c made about 440 whp. this blew up and then went to 3.6 s/c and before the crank broke, it made .. I think 470 but more torque.

yes, Vadim did work on it and shoshop screwed me over very badly!

Thanks Kevin!

That does help... or at least re-confirm my research. Luckily for me, I can keep the NSX and the M5 (soon hopefully) and not choose between the two. I still haven't found a white M5 I want yet but being patient.

Sung

khiroshima said:
Sorry, I don't check e-mail much on the weekend, but happy to pipe in here.

Yep, used to be an NSX owner (miss it, ask my brother) and contimplate getting another one all the time. Anyhow, let me try to answer some of your questions, I have a 2001 and have had it for three years, which is about the same amount of time I had the NSX, so I can speak definatively about both cars.

Yep, m5board.com is where I go and I believe has the best information and mature discussions, very reminiscent of Prime. You should do a search there and you will find many discussions on this very M5 vs. NSX topic. OK, my opinions:

the Good:
396hp
TORQUE everywhere
Great build quality
Five passengers at speed
Stable E39 platform
Real six speed (no SMG)
No Bangle butt
CPO includes up to 100,000 maintenance (includes all but rubber and gas)
396 hp

the Bad:
4000+ pounds
Understeers without camber plates (Dinan)
Weak clutch
Tires last <10,000 miles (NSX folks are used to this already)
Small-ish E39 trunk (multiple golf club bag challenged)
No spare tire
Uninspiring stock exhaust note
BMW brake dust (OK nitpicking here)
Scared to death when my warranty runs out (never a concern with the NSX)
4000+ pounds :frown:

Things to watch out for:
CPO cars are worth wild, the coverage goes to 100,000 miles or six years
VANOS has been known to be an issue with earlier cars
ALWAYS check to see maintenance history
Careful of M5's from the factory M5Driving Experience, they've been beat on

Headaches of owning a German car? YES. I have been fortunate that I haven't had any real problems, but for a while there, it seemed like my SES (Service Engine Soon) light was always on. It was always something small and covered by warranty,just a sensor or something, but it's annoying going to the dealer. My NSX was only in the shop for wear items, I wish I could say the same about the M5.

Bottom line, I need a four door and have only a two car garage (wife gets the other slot) and I'm not keen on having a decent car sitting outside all the time. The M5 is the only serious contender in this category and I don't regret the decision. As mentioned, I miss the NSX, but for my need it isn't an only car option, a possible supplement for me, but not a replacement.

Hope this helps, if you have any specific questions, I will try to remember to check back, Kevin

sycosho said:
Let's start with the first one...
1st - 1990 with most of the n/a upgrade.

2nd - 1992 with ... 3.2 s/c made about 440 whp. this blew up and then went to 3.6 s/c and before the crank broke, it made .. I think 470 but more torque.

yes, Vadim did work on it and shoshop screwed me over very badly!

You're '92 wasn't a black SHO was it? I think I've heard of you.

3.6l.bmp

I've had my fair share of being screwed over by Vadim as well. Between things arriving months late, sending the wrong cams and fuel pump (both found after I installed them), defective products, missing items, and so on...

When I purchased my blower stuff, I only bought the piping, bracket, oil lines/fittings, and hoses from Vadim. From there I pieced everything else together to include a T-trim blower (which is much more effecient) while doing all the work myself. If Vadim was doing all the work, I'm sure you didn't have any type of charge cooling? With 10 PSI and some water injection, I put down 381 whp the first time out with the blower. I'm now running 12 PSI and still tuning... Numbers soon to come!

I frequent the SHO Forum under the same name seeing how I haven't quite come to the point where I don't want anything to do with these cars.

Nice talking with you!

Uh... yeh, that's my car :biggrin:

I still have the shell.. waiting to be junked. Do you have brakes? I still have the baers.

yamahaSHO said:
You're '92 wasn't a black SHO was it? I think I've heard of you.

3.6l.bmp

I've had my fair share of being screwed over by Vadim as well. Between things arriving months late, sending the wrong cams and fuel pump (both found after I installed them), defective products, missing items, and so on...

When I purchased my blower stuff, I only bought the piping, bracket, oil lines/fittings, and hoses from Vadim. From there I pieced everything else together to include a T-trim blower (which is much more effecient) while doing all the work myself. If Vadim was doing all the work, I'm sure you didn't have any type of charge cooling? With 10 PSI and some water injection, I put down 381 whp the first time out with the blower. I'm now running 12 PSI and still tuning... Numbers soon to come!

I frequent the SHO Forum under the same name seeing how I haven't quite come to the point where I don't want anything to do with these cars.

Nice talking with you!

I have Todd's SHO Stopper Jr's (Wilwood) on my daily driver and Baer (Cobra) 13" brakes on my SC SHO with the '96 upgrade in the rear.

But... I may be interested depending on the price... What else do you have? If you have good front control arms, my daily SHO could use some, as well as the eccentric rear arms.

Click the link in my signature and you can see what I have on the car already. :)

Back