• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Anyone Use A Cordless Weedeater?

My gas weedeater gave up the ghost last week and I need to buy a replacement. My lot is small, .11 acre and I also take care of a yard for a relative that isn't much bigger. I don't have big brush to take down, so I dont' need anything massive. I mostly use it for along the fences and garden.

I was thinking of going away from the loud, smelly and polluting gas models as they are overkill for my needs and the last few I've had are a pain to start.

I've been researching cordless electric models. I've found that most don't last longer than 10 minutes and recharge takes about 6 hours. I will need longer than that as I try to do both yards on the same day. Has anyone used anything like this or considered it? Thoughts? Comments?

I've yet to find a cordless weed wacker that has power and speed.....and that holds a good charge.

I just use the Echo weed wacker from Homedepot (whatever high one they have).

ALL of my gas powered tools use Clean Power. I can hear the RPMs shoot up so high, certainly more power, and there is NO smoke or annoying exhaust fumes.

I have one, the Battery failed in year two. I cant say I thought it was any better but i will say it was more of a pain (if you could even call it that) to remember to not always have it on charge but remember to charge it every so often to keep the battery conditioned.

Most are 18-20 volt and a few are now 24 volt. I did find a new one from Ryobi that is 40 volts, seems to have the power and people are reporting use of about an hour before the battery going dead and recharge is only 90 minutes. If I did get one, this is the front runner right now. Plus it has a 3 year warranty and is returnable to Home Depot up to 90 days.

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-O...splay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

63bf966e-1f2a-4c83-9acb-cd8dfcf0f4fa_300.jpg

Last edited:
I have one, the Battery failed in year two. I cant say I thought it was any better but i will say it was more of a pain (if you could even call it that) to remember to not always have it on charge but remember to charge it every so often to keep the battery conditioned.

Would conditioning still need to be done with the newer Lithium Ion batteries? The manufacturer says you can leave it plugged in until ready for use without harming it and there aren't supposed to be self discharge issues when not being used.

I have had a Ryobi for 6 years. I have replaced the battery twice. It will run for over an hour. (12V) It has a smart charger that will not over charge the battery, but it is Ni-Cad and that isn't Ryobi's fault. The new models do not have standard replacement batteries. I won't give this one up as I can maintain it and replace the battery for $30.00 every 2 - 3 years.
53beccd0-baca-4990-8189-e2bd64498cb3-000001.png

The manual says do not throw away, so I continue to use it :-)

Last edited:
I've yet to find a cordless weed wacker that has power and speed.....and that holds a good charge.

I just use the Echo weed wacker from Homedepot (whatever high one they have).

ALL of my gas powered tools use Clean Power. I can hear the RPMs shoot up so high, certainly more power, and there is NO smoke or annoying exhaust fumes.

Why not go electric, that's even more environmental friendly.

Most are 18-20 volt and a few are now 24 volt. I did find a new one from Ryobi that is 40 volts, seems to have the power and people are reporting use of about an hour before the battery going dead and recharge is only 90 minutes. If I did get one, this is the front runner right now. Plus it has a 3 year warranty and is returnable to Home Depot up to 90 days.

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-O...splay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

63bf966e-1f2a-4c83-9acb-cd8dfcf0f4fa_300.jpg

I had this one and it worked great for about a week and then the motor died. Got a replacement under warranty 2 weeks later that motor died. My wife bought a black & Decker battery operated one and I hated that one. Battery lasts about 45 mins but doesn't have the power of the Ryobi. Eventually I'll go back to a gas powered one.

I've tried just about everything out there.
Finally bought a commercial grade Stihl. Over 2 years and still runs like a champ. Worth every single penny.

i have an older worx setup with ni cad batteries. got off craigs list and it does the job. The only problem are the batteries. one is good the other is bad. Looking into the new lithium kit.

Alright, I ran by Home Depot last night and picked up the Ryobi 40 volt previously mentioned above.

It came partially charged, but I let it charge for about an hour before using it. Installation was a breeze. 3 screws to attach the shield and 2 other pieces for the shaft that snapped together.

Bottom line.....I'm very impressed! This thing has all the power I need to get my yard done. I was a little shocked the first time I squeezed the trigger. It has alot more power than I thought it would. It's very light and comfortable to hold. I used it for about 30 minutes and still had 3/4 charge left. My back didn't hurt when I was done and my hands weren't numb from vibrations. It was seriously slightly bummed when I ran out of stuff to trim last night.

I'm a fan so far. Time will tell if it ends up being a piece of junk. I'll report back with any problems, but I would def. recommend this to anyone considering something like this.

I have lithium ion powered Worx electric trimmer and its much much better than gas. hit button and im going. I can edge my front lawn, backyard, trim around bushes and other things around the property on a single charge. ive done it twice in a single charge actually.

This one but the lithium version. Seems like they dont have it online but its about $100
http://www.lowes.com/pd_383341-5460...87_?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

Last edited:
Toro was my 2nd choice. They have a 24 volt version that got alot of good reviews.

8c848343-b49e-4def-941f-1b1ac01d58d8_300.jpg

I read alot of reviews during my research of these about poor battery life, etc... So I would go back to gas and read just as many, if not more, stories of hard starting, rough idle, engine going bad, etc.... I think electric will be perfect for me as long as the build quality is there.

Hal!

My long lost friend! How are you? Where have you been? :biggrin:

I've seen these used. Don't know if your property is zoned for it though.

800px-Domestic_goat_feeding_on_capeweed.jpg

I've seen these used. Don't know if your property is zoned for it though.

800px-Domestic_goat_feeding_on_capeweed.jpg

There is some guy that get herds of these GTOs to do their work in and around businesses. Like hundreds of GTOs.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1QjhpdnJvf4?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1QjhpdnJvf4?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2JeEumAhlFo?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2JeEumAhlFo?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

i got around the battery life problem by buying a 2nd battery. I have an acre and with 2 batteries it's no problem. When the battery died, i went to batteries plus and had them install some upgraded batteries into the pack with a higher Mah rating... even longer run time...

Just buy yourself a Stihl gas unit. It will likely be the last you'll need to buy. I know it's not electric/cordless but you'll thank me in 10 years.:wink:

Back