• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone used Carboy for OEM twin disk clutch install???

I'm looking to get my clutch installed hopefully sooner than later. Carls shop is not open Saturdays. My plan is/was to drop the car early this fri morn, and pick it up at some point on Saturday. I know these clutches need to be initialized after installed.
After speaking to Jackie, he calls it some sort of adjustment but didn't use the term initialized so I'm a bit standoff'ish about it. Install fee is $600.00 which is quite good IMO. I'm just nervous about having it initialized properly. Carboy has always done me right but I'd hope to hear from anyone here that's had clutch dealings with them. Thanks for listening. David.

Hi David. Carboy replaced my clutch and I have to tell you that I'm not happy with them at all. I had put a brand new set of white Technomagnesio wheels on my car and they pulled off the rear set to drop the engine to do the clutch. Unfortunately, they just slammed the torque wrench into the completely unblemished lug wells and then just powered away removing the lug nuts without regard to what they were doing to the finish on the wheels. Really screwed up the finish on my brand new wheels both on the outside and on the inside of the lug wells. Got the clutch in but had to be returned for an adjustment subsequent to the install.

They may do good work but this was the first time they'd worked on my car and I can assure you that it was the last time! Also, even after the second adjustment the clutch didn't feel quite right so next time Carl had my car I had him adjust it and it was a LOT better. My advise is to use Carl even if they're closed on Saturday. IMHO I feel you'll be happier with the result.

Good luck.

Dennis

For specialized service work like that I recommend Carl all the way. Carboy may be decent at lots of things, but Carl is great with NSXs. Why take the risk? Plus there's always things they learn with each job, like surgeons, they get better with each install. So think of how many times Carl has switched an NSX clutch and how many times Carboy has done an NSX clutch. If any issues come up, Carl has probably seem them all and would know what to do.

If you are still looking for someone to replace your clutch then IDB Racing is a very good option. They are VERY meticulous about their work, and give you updates along the way. They take pictures if you request during the process, and is a small 3 man operation. The owner Will does a lot of the mechanical main work, and he had fully restored quite a few NSXs. His prices are really good because of the small man operation.

They specialize in BMWs, Porsches, NSXs, and other exotics.

If you go then tell them Jared with the black NSX sent you. I promise you won't just not regret it, but also return back.

Last edited:
Actually Carboy wound up doing me a great job for $600.00 labor. I couldn't get on a good timeline with Carl since I needed to drop it off fri. and pick it up on a Sat. and Carl does not work Sat. I would like more info on IDB shop if you have it. We're always looking for good honest NSX techs.

I just picked up my NSX from Carboy. They did a bunch of stuff including the replacement of both clutch discs.

No complains after 150 miles.

I would recommend them.

Did you replace just the discs or the entire Assm?
I just picked up my NSX from Carboy. They did a bunch of stuff including the replacement of both clutch discs.

No complains after 150 miles.

I would recommend them.

Back