• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Apple Watch

What did you guys think? I don't have an iphone, so it is useless to me, but I am curious what people with iphones thought.

The key to this device will be strong voice navigation. Touch will be mostly pointless and should be minimized. But if you can enhance voice control, then this device will make sense. The market is already moving towards voice, it is just a question as to whether they can build it strong and functional enough to make it work for the average consumer. From what I have seen so far, the current iteration of Siri doesn't cut it so Apple has some work to do to get it working.

If they make good apps and tools for it, it certainly has the potential to be a great extension of your cell phone. I like the idea of using apple pay with it and how it can monitor health/health kit with my healthcare provider.

IMO, Apple just blew Samsung and those other smart watches out of the water with their watch.

I'm not so active these days that I need the Watch Sport, and I'm not ballin' that I need the Watch Edition, so the Watch would be just right for me if I were to purchase a smart watch.

I do a lot of active stuff outside. Run, bike, swin, hike etc... the sport needs to be super rugged. It looks like it has potential though.I can't wait for it's release. I think it's kind of bs that it's displayed 3+ mos before actually released.

I do a lot of active stuff outside. Run, bike, swin, hike etc... the sport needs to be super rugged. It looks like it has potential though.I can't wait for it's release. I think it's kind of bs that it's displayed 3+ mos before actually released.

Not the first time Apple has done this, the original iPhone was announced, what, in Jan 2007, released June 2007

Samsung didn't even mention a release date for their smart watch when announced last week.

I will have to see it in person, but the motor 360 looks much better IMO.

The Moto 360 does look good, but since the screen is round, it's being cropped at the corner for whatever it displays. Function-wise, I was more impressed with Apple Watch.

The Moto 360 does look good, but since the screen is round, it's being cropped at the corner for whatever it displays. Function-wise, I was more impressed with Apple Watch.

Yeah, I will have to see the functionality of both. Neither look that great functionality wise to me. They are basically redundant for the most part. The fitness stuff is nice though, but we know how much America cares about fitness ;).

I wonder how long it will take android watch makers to copy the apple watch....

Anyone know why they have gone away from naming things i-name?

Last edited:
Impressive for a first iteration. It's the seamless connectivity between iPhone, Apple Pay and the Watch that produces the value. As sensors improve and new sensors are introduced the Apple Watch will be in an excellent position as a platform. All those cutting-edge PhDs and engineers Apple hired are hard at work on the next generation. Soon we will have blood sugar, nutrition levels, blood O2, easily monitored.

What Apple brings to the table is the broad, sweeping integration of all the pieces. For example, at WWDC Apple introduced a new OS technology called "Continuity". Now we understand the true implication of this.

http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/continuity/

It will be very difficult for the other players to duplicate this level of seamless integration.

There's also the huge developer community that Apple will leverage.

Last edited:
The one thing that Samsung watch has that others don't, is a SIM card, which I thought was cool at first, until I realized, you'll probably have to get another data plan for the watch itself, which is a no-go for me.
I don't remember if it had GPS in it though.

Hey, compared to Honda's rollout of the NSX this is the speed of light.

My two cents, it looks cheap and ugly.
There are better smart watches already on the market that look a lot better.
Seems like Apple is 2-5 years behind everyone else and when they catch up, it's poorly executed.
Just my opinion.

Current smart watches:
61rNJehV8QL._SL1500_.jpg

61p-RJ9XSuL._SL1500_.jpg

VS Apple:

DSC09710_w_450.jpg

Last edited:
I don't even wear a watch. The whole business of "smart" watches -- whether it's Apple, Android, Pebble, whatever -- is a resounding "meh" to me.

But at least the fanbois and fandroids have found another battleground to fight on, which is always amusing.

^^^ Yeah I don't see the allure either.
I wear a watch for style, and that's it. I can't imagine wearing the 2014 version of the calculator watch with a tiny screen.
No thanks.

I don't even wear a watch. The whole business of "smart" watches -- whether it's Apple, Android, Pebble, whatever -- is a resounding "meh" to me.

The only two viable use I see for these "wearables" are:

1. Interface between you and a larger device. Best illustration of this is the badges from Star Trek Next Gen, where you would touch your badge and be instantly able to interact with the ship computer. Something like this would get away from dragging a phone out of your pocket, swiping, selecting the app, etc, etc and move forward to reducing the time between user input and desired output and that is a marketable thing. For example:

[touch watch] display most recent photos on my television --> pushes your last 10 photos taken to your apple connected television

2. Continuous health monitoring. This activity tracker stuff is mostly silly. However, continuous blood pressure, pulse, body temperature, etc, etc can translate in to some real utility. Consider having your visit to the doctor include a download of your data with an analysis of all irregular heart beats (frequency, duration, etc).

#2 is of course a much harder all around function and also harder to market. I suspect the immediate focus will be on option #1

The newest generation of smartphone's are too big to put in your pocket, so by default the smartwatch might make sense. I will be keeping my iPhone 4S.

At least upgrade to the 5/S/C if you don't want the newest and larger iPhones. You'll get a slightly taller screen with the same width, and faster download speeds with 4G/LTE, BT 4.0, WiFi 802.11 B/G/N/AC

2. Continuous health monitoring. This activity tracker stuff is mostly silly. However, continuous blood pressure, pulse, body temperature, etc, etc can translate in to some real utility. Consider having your visit to the doctor include a download of your data with an analysis of all irregular heart beats (frequency, duration, etc).

This is a good thing, yes -- a couple years ago I had some heart issues, and the doctor strapped a big device on to me that I had to wear for two days -- and of course, I didn't have an event while wearing the device (everything is fine now). The only issue is that the Watch needs to be charged every night -- so maybe you'll need two of them for a continuous report.

Back